Which EVSE to buy??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cclcal

Leaning towards Clipper Creek 40 but there is software issue and it wont allow delay charging until patch comes out...

GE is 400$, plain but does it's job.

I just want a reliable ESVE.

I will have to an additional 700$ to have new subpanel installed as my panel is maxed out due to PV system.

Trying not to spend to $.

thanks

Cclcal said:
Leaning towards Clipper Creek 40 but there is software issue and it wont allow delay charging until patch comes out...

I will have to an additional 700$ to have new subpanel installed as my panel is maxed out due to PV system.

thanks
1) What's a PV system?
2) If you have an unused 220V Dryer plug, you are in business.
3) the $400 GE doesn't support delay charging.
4) Delay charging units cost around $700
5) Reliable is a bit subjective. I would stay with something that has lots of reviews on Amazon.

PV = photovoltaic, what most people call "solar" electricity. I'm not sure how that causes the panel to "max" out though.

The "delayed charging" the OP is talking about is via the car's charging timer, and not one on the EVSE itself. Some folks here swear by the $400 GE. It was not yet available when I got my L2 installation (and GE's Wattstation unit at the time was known to be problematic with the Nissan Leaf which I had then) so I went with the Clipper Creek LCS-25. It was overkill for the Leaf's 3.8 kW unit but only charges my eGolf at 4.8kW and not the 7.2 it is capable of drawing. I don't use timed charging so that problem hasn't surfaced for me.

Either e-motorwerks Juicebox 30 or Juicebox 40 is capable of using the delayed charge feature on Car-Net in 2015, or what ever version replaced it in 2016. Reasonable in price, also. Google search for them or look for them on sale on Amazon for $469. The e-motorwerks units are made here in America, in San Carlos, CA, if that matters to you.

I use a Charge Point Home it works great and has a delayed charge program that works perfectly with the EGolf http://www.chargepoint.com/home/ its not cheep $700 but the savings through off peek charging help off set the cost over time.... And the way it talks to the car lets me know for sure its connected AND charging

I also have one for sale for $400! A Siemens VC30GRYU Versicharge 30-Amp Electric Vehicle Charger with Flexible Indoor/Outdoor and 20-Feet Cord http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFVI92S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
I bought it before I realized its delay charge features do not work with the EGolf...

sfsoundguy said:
I use a Charge Point Home it works great and has a delayed charge program that works perfectly with the EGolf http://www.chargepoint.com/home/ its not cheep $700 but the savings through off peek charging help off set the cost over time.... And the way it talks to the car lets me know for sure its connected AND charging

I also have one for sale for $400! A Siemens VC30GRYU Versicharge 30-Amp Electric Vehicle Charger with Flexible Indoor/Outdoor and 20-Feet Cord http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFVI92S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
I bought it before I realized its delay charge features do not work with the EGolf...
May I ask what makes it not work with the eGolf when the delay is built into it's hardware?

forbin404 said:
sfsoundguy said:

May I ask what makes it not work with the eGolf when the delay is built into it's hardware?

If the answer was known to that, you'd think either VW or the manufacturers of EVSE's would fix it.

forbin404 said:
sfsoundguy said:

I called Siemens and they said they where just not compatible with the EGolf's charge system. VW said they could not tell me why it would not work and said it was an issue with the Siemens charger. I think the Charger is not able to send the wake signal to the car when the delay time kicks on and the car will not accept the delayed charge.

The Charge Point on the other hand is rock solid and works everyday plus they have great customer service to help with instal and operation questions.
I am very happy with it!!

If you ignore the built-in timer function on the Siemens unit and use the car's delayed charging function, it is a good unit. It is also internally adjustable for different circuit sizes. Buying the extra one from sfsoundguy sounds like a great idea for a new owner.

The OP's "maxed out" panel is common. Sometimes the solar installer takes up the last open slots in the panel, but that can be overcome. However, if the load calcs show that you cannot add more amps of breakers, then you're really out of luck and have to upgrade the panel and possibly the service line. Rumor has it that PG&E will subsidize the service upgrade (larger wire between the meter and pole) if it is required to add EV charging.

miimura said:
The OP's "maxed out" panel is common. Sometimes the solar installer takes up the last open slots in the panel, but that can be overcome.

I'm curious, but why would something that supplies electricity need a breaker in the panel itself? Shouldn't the feed from the PV go through some sort of box (to integrate it with the utility's own feed) BEFORE the panel?

RonDawg said:
miimura said:
The OP's "maxed out" panel is common. Sometimes the solar installer takes up the last open slots in the panel, but that can be overcome.

I'm curious, but why would something that supplies electricity need a breaker in the panel itself? Shouldn't the feed from the PV go through some sort of box (to integrate it with the utility's own feed) BEFORE the panel?

honestly im not well versed in electricity issues.

I just know that I had very few, maybe 2, breakers left and the PV (solar) system used them up.

thanks for all the advice.
Will look into the Chargepoint and Juicebox and maybe buy the Siemens from SFsoundguy.

sfsoundguy said:

where are you located? Nor Cal?

miimura said:
If you ignore the built-in timer function on the Siemens unit and use the car's delayed charging function, it is a good unit. It is also internally adjustable for different circuit sizes. Buying the extra one from sfsoundguy sounds like a great idea for a new owner.

The OP's "maxed out" panel is common. Sometimes the solar installer takes up the last open slots in the panel, but that can be overcome. However, if the load calcs show that you cannot add more amps of breakers, then you're really out of luck and have to upgrade the panel and possibly the service line. Rumor has it that PG&E will subsidize the service upgrade (larger wire between the meter and pole) if it is required to add EV charging.

Maybe SDGE will subsidize? Will contact them.

Are you saying that if I ignore the Siemens timer and just use the Golf's delayed charging function it'll work?
able to start charging at midnight?

thanks

forbin404 said:
Cclcal said:

thanks
1) What's a PV system?
5) Reliable is a bit subjective. I would stay with something that has lots of reviews on Amazon.

thanks you for the info
1. solar
2. dont recall dryer plug in garage but will look after i move some boxes around
3. Can i use the golf's delayed charging function?
4. ok
5. understood

forbin404 said:
Cclcal said:

thanks
1) What's a PV system?

good news is that I do have an unused dryer outlet.
bad news is it is inside the laundry room which is just inside the door to the garage.
theoretically i could have the evse in the laundry room and just run the cable out the door into the garage...
obviously wont be able to close the door, diff walking thru that area.

maybe electrician can run something from panel and install new plug in garage area.

RonDawg said:
miimura said:
Everything that connects to the power grid needs protection. The solar inverters have their own breakers according to their power rating. It doesn't matter that they normally feed power in instead of drawing power out. Imagine that there is some electrical fault that causes a short in the inverter. That will cause a large draw from the electrical panel. You need a breaker to cut the power to that device so it does not cause an overload condition or even a fire.

Beyond the breaker issue, there is the issue of metering. In the case of net metering, you need the solar to feed in on the load side of your meter. However, if you have a billing system like a feed-in tariff, you are just being paid for solar production independent of your usage, so you would have a separate meter outside of your household load panel and meter. That is much more expensive to install than a additional breaker or two in your existing panel.

RonDawg said:
miimura said:

Because the utility with then double ding you for usage. Since the power you are using would be going from the panel hence the meter, it would let the utility charge YOU for YOUR OWN solar panels..haha

Netmetering is supposed to work that way, you send all the electricity you generate to the grid and then whatever you use comes from the grid. The netmetering subtracts your usage from your generation and charges for the remaining usage. Essentially the utility is acting as your Tesla Powerwall.

Any opinions on the Chargepoint chargers?

Thanks

jeep said:
Netmetering is supposed to work that way, you send all the electricity you generate to the grid and then whatever you use comes from the grid. The netmetering subtracts your usage from your generation and charges for the remaining usage. Essentially the utility is acting as your Tesla Powerwall.

Any opinions on the Chargepoint chargers?

Thanks

Correct, Im under netmetering.

I like the look of the chargepoint units. But Im leaning towards the Juicebox40 w 25 foot cable.

Back