Battery Technology in the e-Golf versus the BMW i3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

This link from a battery expert argues the i3 battery is far advanced state of the art and superior to Tesla. This due to nickel cobalt manganese cell with a solid core and solid aluminum laser welded frame giving the battery a 20 year 80% expected life versus 5-8 for Tesla
http://www.slideshare.net/DavidQuarles/bmw-i3-vs-tesla-battery

I found some info on the e-golf battery in articles dealing with VWs decision to not cool the batteries. Nickel cobalt manganese are mentioned but nothing about solid core, so I can't tell whether this also means that e-Golfs are state of the art on a par with the i3. This article, however, gives me a warm feeling it is. http://ae-plus.com/features/volkswagen-e-golf/page:2 It's crucial to know in order to do a competitive comparison.

I've concluded based on an $8000 MSRP price difference, plus additional features such as 2 full rear doors with electric window, leatherette seats, 40% more cargo space, and 5 passenger vs 4 that the e-Golf is a far better value, so the battery being on a par would cement the case

Ron

In the VW specifications file, it indicates the 24.2 kWh battery pack is lithium ion, not Nickel cobalt manganese

323 Volts, 264 cells, 312 Kg

http://media.vw.com/doc/1142/2015_v...olf_specifications-88829706253fe01587e9c3.pdf

I see the article you linked talks about Volkswagen deciding to go with Nickel Cobal Manganese, but I would have to lean on the side of the actual VW document.
However, I was unable to find the date on that VW PDF

The i3 and e-Glf are both lithium ion. The nickel cobalt manganese is the type of battery chemistry used, which appears to be the same for both cars
Although there are relatively few suppliers of automotive-grade Li-ion cells, selection is still a complex process requiring an extraordinary amount of testing. While Nissan chose NEC for the Leaf, Ford LG Chem for the Focus and BMW Samsung for the i3, VW decided that Panasonic’s nickel-manganese-cobalt chemistry best met its requirements for the Golf.

Also, http://bmwi3.blogspot.mx/2011/03/bmw-i3-light-weight-means-less-energy.html
"They are newly developed Lithium-ion cells which will be using a nickel-manganese-cobalt chemistry made by SB-Limotive"

Ron

Thanks Ron, for some reason I was under the impression that lithium-ion was the chemistry.

So since it is nickel-manganese-cobalt chemistry, how does this affect your comparison?
I've concluded based on an $8000 MSRP price difference, plus additional features such as 2 full rear doors with electric window, leatherette seats, 40% more cargo space, and 5 passenger vs 4 that the e-Golf is a far better value, so the battery being on a par would cement the case

I'm buying the e-Golf as soon as they go up for sale. I don't want or need the i3 range extender, the aluminum frame/carbon body isn't important to me as it seems to be with some i3 owners, and my wife hates the exterior and interior looks of the i3 and that you can't see the hood.

Given the 8000 mrsp difference (although bmw is starting to discount) and the two full rear doors and more cargo space, its a no brainer for me. The Leaf is out because the SL version with all the options of the e-golf is also 35,000 but the e-golf is a newer design and is better thought out. Plus I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the Leaf battery chemistry isn't as state of the art as the i3 and e-golf

Ron

I also like the fact that the e-Golf will be built on a platform which will cross engine types - potentially making a number of after market parts much easier to get (READ: suspension and wheel upgrades, interior bits, etc.)

One of the biggest concerns we Active E Elecronauts were talking about before the i3 came out was even just simple stuff - WINTER TIRES in the Northeast!!!

e-Golf... no such issues ;-) hehe

Rob

snooproberob said:
I also like the fact that the e-Golf will be built on a platform which will cross engine types - potentially making a number of after market parts much easier to get (READ: suspension and wheel upgrades, interior bits, etc.)

One of the biggest concerns we Active E Elecronauts were talking about before the i3 came out was even just simple stuff - WINTER TIRES in the Northeast!!!

e-Golf... no such issues ;-) hehe

Rob
this too was the reason I like the e-Golf over all the others, it's a Golf, and therefore all (or most) of the aftermarket stuff will apply to it, and it will be light years cheaper to fix in a fender bender.
41848ed6b14dd12024dcf02c9ba1a75c_zpse4e9998d.jpg

Stock (above)
egolf_alx2-2_zps1c157680.jpg

lowered a bit, with some personal touches
egolf_alx3-2_zps432dc7d7.jpg

17" Jetta Hybrid premium wheels

suspension wise though it may take a bit to get a 'kit' for, since the weight distribution is 50/50 unlike all other golf's you can't just slap on a GTI set up..., but wheels, LED tail lights, body and interior mods are all fair game! and are already out there!!

Back