2016 EGolf Problem Switching Modes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else have problems switching modes between standard, eco and eco? My range drops from 110 after a full charge to 70 after I drive a few miles and won't switch modes.

I have a brand new 2016 white egolf SEL premium with 1600 miles. I have been having this issue since I bought the car in December 2015. VW has replaced 3 modules yet the issue persists.

I think they are looking at replacing the car. Would to hear if others have this issue or thoughts??

RogerRabbit1 said:
Anyone else have problems switching modes between standard, eco and eco? My range drops from 110 after a full charge to 70 after I drive a few miles and won't switch modes.

I have a brand new 2016 white egolf SEL premium with 1600 miles. I have been having this issue since I bought the car in December 2015. VW has replaced 3 modules yet the issue persists.

I think they are looking at replacing the car. Would to hear if others have this issue or thoughts??

How much elevation change do you have in a few miles?

The issue occurs in my garage and on the highway at multiple grades.

To answer your question mild slope.

May I suggest the following:

Start driving, and the first stop light or stop sign that you come to a complete stop at, switch the mode then from regular, to Eco, or to Eco +. Forcing modes right when you turn the car on, as it"boots up" so to speak, or while in motion while driving, if certain limits are exceeded, can be confusing to the Eco Mode you wish to enter. Don't switch modes when driving or in motion. Only select a mode when completely stopped.

Your range will always decrease on the guess-o-meter going up hill, and increase going down hill. It averages the amount of miles left on the charge based on the last 5 or 10 Kms of travel. It's perfectly normal.

Look at the "battery gas Gauge" instead, not the Guess-O-Meter.

Just an interesting piece of datum.

I was driving to work changed modes to Eco+, stopped at a carls to charge the car for a bit (45 mins) and when I got back in the car and got on the road, I couldn't switch modes either.

It would show the display on the center console (Says Normal) but nothing on the infotainment. (Usually shows all 3 modes)
Stopped the car at work, and later it was working fine again.

Very weird.

forbin404 said:
Just an interesting piece of datum.

I was driving to work changed modes to Eco+, stopped at a carls to charge the car for a bit (45 mins) and when I got back in the car and got on the road, I couldn't switch modes either.

It would show the display on the center console (Says Normal) but nothing on the infotainment. (Usually shows all 3 modes)
Stopped the car at work, and later it was working fine again.

Very weird.

This seems to be a one shot deal, as mine did the same, at around 24-2600 miles, I believe. It has not done it since.

We have 1300 mi on our 2016 SE and it has done this a hand full of times as well.

I haven't noticed any dramatic decreases in range when this occurs, just seems the driving mode will not switch. I feel like pressing and holding the button may have helped somewhat.

JoulesThief said:
Don't switch modes when driving or in motion. Only select a mode when completely stopped.
Is this recommended in the manual? I change modes while moving all the time without any issues.*

* apart from that one time I accidentally hit the Start/Stop button that is right next to the Mode button on the 2016 SE: the car stopped immediately. An obvious UI design flaw that VW will surely fix in the next iteration or through a software update. In the meantime I will tape something over the button so I don't make that mistake again.

xchopp said:
JoulesThief said:
Don't switch modes when driving or in motion. Only select a mode when completely stopped.
Is this recommended in the manual? I change modes while moving all the time without any issues.*

* apart from that one time I accidentally hit the Start/Stop button that is right next to the Mode button on the 2016 SE: the car stopped immediately. An obvious UI design flaw that VW will surely fix in the next iteration or through a software update. In the meantime I will tape something over the button so I don't make that mistake again.

Adapt your behavior... only touch the mode button while stationary. If you wouldn't go near the Start Stop button while moving, you should apply the same to the Eco mode buttton. Seems common sense to me. Maybe VW will adapt that into their next iteration, like they do changing settings in the MFI while stationary only too.

xchopp said:
JoulesThief said:

The manual says it's not recommended if I remember right.

VW won't issue a software change for something like that, they really need to move the button.

forbin404 said:
xchopp said:
JoulesThief said:

The manual says it's not recommended if I remember right.

VW won't issue a software change for something like that, they really need to move the button.

Good point, just move the eco switch on top of the shifter knob. There, you can change the settings to your hearts desire.

I believe the German logic is that if it's close to the Start Stop switch, you should only activate it much like you would the Start Stop switch, almost always motionless, unless it's an emergency and you need to shut it off. Those types of switches tend to get grouped together.

I change modes while moving almost every time I drive and I've never had an issue. I didn't see anywhere in the manual saying not to do that. You would think it would be locked out while you are moving if that's what VW wanted.

preilly44 said:
I change modes while moving almost every time I drive and I've never had an issue. I didn't see anywhere in the manual saying not to do that. You would think it would be locked out while you are moving if that's what VW wanted.
When I'm driving mine and I'm on the freeway, it won't shift into an eco mode until I've slowed down to the eco mode's limit.

If I'm driving at 75mph and I switch to Eco it doesn't automatically drop me to 55. The pedal feel doesn't change, the speed limiter doesn't change, nothing apparent until I manually slow down to 55 and then the mode becomes active.

So while VW can't prevent you from physically touching the button, it doesn't seem to do anything while you're driving out of the mode's range...at least on my model.

Back