2016 egolf charger port broken

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my dog tripped over my cable while the car was charging. it broke the charging port on the car. the port is now loose. everything works just fine, VW wants $1800 to fix it. I think i can get it back into shape, but I am having trouble removing the e-golf "gas cover". There is 1 torx screw that comes out then the whole cover comes off, but it is still connected to the cable that has the 2 buttons on it. I can't figure out how to remove that cable to get the whole thing out. Any ideas?

russellsgreer said:
my dog tripped over my cable while the car was charging. it broke the charging port on the car. the port is now loose. everything works just fine, VW wants $1800 to fix it. I think i can get it back into shape, but I am having trouble removing the e-golf "gas cover". There is 1 torx screw that comes out then the whole cover comes off, but it is still connected to the cable that has the 2 buttons on it. I can't figure out how to remove that cable to get the whole thing out. Any ideas?

Year and model of e-golf, and where you are located.

Pay for ERWIN to see how it's assembled, for your model car. It's VW's service manual, on line. About $35 for a day, make sure your printer has lots of ink and paper., or ask on VW vortex for a similar mk VII golf model. You do know there are high voltage lines inside there, you need to know what you are taking on/tackling, without electrocuting yourself.

It sounds like the whole system is modular, and they may have to drop the whole battery pack assembly to do so to get it back into place?

German cars are unforgiving of human or pet operating errors, period. Maintenance expenses will be high if you make personal mistakes, as well as your pet.

@russellsgreer Did you ever get this resolved?

I have the exact issue but mine happened while unplugging. Not sure if the cable was kicked prior but when I unplugged I felt that it was loose. Seems like there is just a clip that holds the plug in place as everything charges fine.

Figures the dealer would want $1800 to fix. Failure by design :evil:

Craig

i did get this resovled. i tried first by just taking it apart and trying to sure up the parts that broke, but finally, it became completely unusable and paid the money to get it fixed. i used my insurance, so i just had to pay the deductible. it seems like a horrible design. 1/2 day of labor for something that should cost $50.

@Russell glad it is resolved, and this is an option to fix at dealer using insurance if you have. same problem happened to me due to grace door closure pulling the cable and break the plug.

The question for everyone, does anyone know third party service that could fix cheaper than dealer which quote for $2000?

@asbuilt have you resolve it like Russel?

Back