Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canadian Federal Government incentives
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:53 am 

Does anyone have details about the previously announced federal EV incentives?
I read somewhere (I can't remember where) about possibly reducing or eliminating the tax on qualified EV's.
Any info may push my date of financing until the new year, as I believe any firmed up announcements would be retro active to the beginning of the year as was the case with changes to the incentives in Ontario in 2017. https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-cana ... strat.html

Post subject: Re: Canadian Federal Government incentives
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:28 pm 

To the best of my knowledge there has not been anything solid announced at the federal level.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:29 am 

the Feds even charge air-conditioning tax $100 on an electric BEV ? no gasoline used ... excise tax gone wrong

1976 MGB
maintain nanas 2013 VW jetta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:39 am 

Kosta wrote:
the Feds even charge air-conditioning tax $100 on an electric BEV ? no gasoline used ... excise tax gone wrong

unless the tax is meant for handling the refrigerant, which is also harmful to the environment...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:40 am 

not what the excise tax act states , they had best amend it to include electric driven heat pumps, as a memo excluded them from being taxed

1976 MGB
maintain nanas 2013 VW jetta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:05 am 

There's no government incentive to make manufacturers sell more EVs. In California, they're forced to sell "zero emissions" cars. In Canada, provinces only give incentives to consumers, not sellers. And since most big brands, like VW, sell gas cars, which they make a lot of after-sales money on, they're not motivated to sell EVs. There's almost no service or repairs on EVs. When I last called VW about an update on my eGolf delivery, they actually wanted me to cancel my order. They REALLY don't want to sell EVs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:27 am 

Zeuser wrote:
There's no government incentive to make manufacturers sell more EVs. In California, they're forced to sell "zero emissions" cars. In Canada, provinces only give incentives to consumers, not sellers. And since most big brands, like VW, sell gas cars, which they make a lot of after-sales money on, they're not motivated to sell EVs. There's almost no service or repairs on EVs. When I last called VW about an update on my eGolf delivery, they actually wanted me to cancel my order. They REALLY don't want to sell EVs.

Which is why Tesla prefers to sell direct. When you place an order for a car, what do you need a dealership for, and their additional markup? You don't

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:50 pm 

Zeuser wrote:

Everything in life comes down to time and money. You can drive 150km/h to save time, but it's gonna cost you more in fuel and possibly a ticket. Same applies, you'll have to wait your turn for your car to show up, but you'll save the longer you keep the vehicle with reduced operating/maintenance costs. Checkmate, you!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 am 

arcticClover wrote:
Does anyone have details about the previously announced federal EV incentives?
I read somewhere (I can't remember where) about possibly reducing or eliminating the tax on qualified EV's.
Any info may push my date of financing until the new year, as I believe any firmed up announcements would be retro active to the beginning of the year as was the case with changes to the incentives in Ontario in 2017. https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-cana ... strat.html

It is almost Feb and still haven't heard of HST rebate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:37 am 

We'll I know when the Ontario government made changes to the electric vehicle incentive program last year, they made it around the fiscal year change in March. Even though the announcement was made in March, it was retro active to the beginning of 2017. The federal announcement should be very soon if the same logic is used, here's hoping.