Canadian Federal Government incentives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have details about the previously announced federal EV incentives?
I read somewhere (I can't remember where) about possibly reducing or eliminating the tax on qualified EV's.
Any info may push my date of financing until the new year, as I believe any firmed up announcements would be retro active to the beginning of the year as was the case with changes to the incentives in Ontario in 2017. https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2017/05/government_of_canadatodevelopanationalzero-emissionsvehiclestrat.html

the Feds even charge air-conditioning tax $100 on an electric BEV ? no gasoline used ... excise tax gone wrong

not what the excise tax act states , they had best amend it to include electric driven heat pumps, as a memo excluded them from being taxed

There's no government incentive to make manufacturers sell more EVs. In California, they're forced to sell "zero emissions" cars. In Canada, provinces only give incentives to consumers, not sellers. And since most big brands, like VW, sell gas cars, which they make a lot of after-sales money on, they're not motivated to sell EVs. There's almost no service or repairs on EVs. When I last called VW about an update on my eGolf delivery, they actually wanted me to cancel my order. They REALLY don't want to sell EVs.

Zeuser said:
There's no government incentive to make manufacturers sell more EVs. In California, they're forced to sell "zero emissions" cars. In Canada, provinces only give incentives to consumers, not sellers. And since most big brands, like VW, sell gas cars, which they make a lot of after-sales money on, they're not motivated to sell EVs. There's almost no service or repairs on EVs. When I last called VW about an update on my eGolf delivery, they actually wanted me to cancel my order. They REALLY don't want to sell EVs.

Which is why Tesla prefers to sell direct. When you place an order for a car, what do you need a dealership for, and their additional markup? You don't

Zeuser said:

Everything in life comes down to time and money. You can drive 150km/h to save time, but it's gonna cost you more in fuel and possibly a ticket. Same applies, you'll have to wait your turn for your car to show up, but you'll save the longer you keep the vehicle with reduced operating/maintenance costs. Checkmate, you!

arcticClover said:
Does anyone have details about the previously announced federal EV incentives?
I read somewhere (I can't remember where) about possibly reducing or eliminating the tax on qualified EV's.
Any info may push my date of financing until the new year, as I believe any firmed up announcements would be retro active to the beginning of the year as was the case with changes to the incentives in Ontario in 2017. https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2017/05/government_of_canadatodevelopanationalzero-emissionsvehiclestrat.html

It is almost Feb and still haven't heard of HST rebate.

We'll I know when the Ontario government made changes to the electric vehicle incentive program last year, they made it around the fiscal year change in March. Even though the announcement was made in March, it was retro active to the beginning of 2017. The federal announcement should be very soon if the same logic is used, here's hoping.

arcticClover said:
We'll I know when the Ontario government made changes to the electric vehicle incentive program last year, they made it around the fiscal year change in March. Even though the announcement was made in March, it was retro active to the beginning of 2017. The federal announcement should be very soon if the same logic is used, here's hoping.

Thanks for that info. Yes no real confirmation on changes yet. Hoping they only impact the higher cost EV's like before, when Tesla Model S/X had less rebate then Leafs, etc. They may drop the higher end car rebate amounts. Not sure.

I know I won't be popular, but I'll be glad when all federal rebates are dropped and tax payers stop subsidizing electric car drivers. Buying a $37,000 2015 Passat TDI SEL used for $16,500 with 25k miles on the odometer is a much better value than buying a $37,300 e-Golf SEL with 25k on the clock for $15,000. One will go 800 miles or more on a fillup, one is lucky to get 80 miles on a fillup, and then the fillup is 3 hours long. I won't even begin to compare leather seats or faux wood dash trim, or that it comes with monster floor mats and a sunroof, has a cavernous trunk, will do 85 mph all day long, a requiretnd got me from El Paso TX to Los Angeles in a long day of driving, no fuel stops. And the Passat TDI is not subsidized for the buyer. It's time for electric cars to compete on their merits. My Passat will NEVER lose range on a tank of fuel. Not so with the e-Golf. Still don't think electrics are ready for prime time. I'll never vote Libtard, er... Liberal, ever. Somewhere in the middle, probably, but never full Libtard. People that live in too dense of a city and never get out of it get brainwashed. Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.- JFK.

One last thought, electric cars run on a utility, electricity, and electricity pricing is now regulated and controlled by your government, not by a free market. Your government is big enough to turn off all the electricity with rolling brown outs during peak demand. Which means you aren't recharging or going anywhere. They can flip the switch at will. Not so with a free market commodity like petroleum. There's always emergency reserves of petroleum, inventory kept in stock. Not possible with grid electricity in your home at 240V. I don't like the idea of the govt have the potential to hold my transportation needs hostage, at will, due to power brown outs. I am well aware of how the spot price of electricity spiked here in California during the Enron selling electricity days to the highest spot bidder, and the attendant electric bills during Gray Davis days in office as governor here in California. It was a very expensive fiasco.

Very interesting and not all together unreasonable viewpoint. Here in the SF Bay Area I have heard grousing about the federal subsidies Tesla buyers get and given the cost of the cars they are obviously being sold to folks who hardly need "help" so to speak. I understand why the government thought they needed to help early adopters, but the Model S was such a hit that I don't think most buyers were influenced by the tax credit much at all.

Not 100% sure I agree on the TDI vs e-Golf SEL used car idea since my wife and I did just that, bought a used '15 SEL (a little less than $15k thanks to a black friday sale--they were asking $16k). I have been interested in TDIs, being an Audi guy (mostly), but we have a BMW 540i wagon we use for road trips along with a couple old Audis from the 1980s (one of which is rapidly increasing in value to the point it probably could turned into a used Tesla if or when I get the itch). The e-Golf was the first VW I ever owned, had we gone TDI it would likely have been an A3 or Q5, both of which are out of reach for us right now. We hope to continue to enjoy it for a few years while we wait and see what happens in the industry.

Four our needs in Santa cruz the e-Golf is the perfect car. All of my wifes miles are now on the e-Golf, as are all our weekend miles, and she drives me to work on average of 1 - 2 days a week as well. We don't go out of town much, and when we do the bimmer wagon with 300hp is a pretty awesome road tripper. We normally don't own "new" cars. 10 years and 100k miles is where I normally buy a car. The e-golf would not work for us if we only had one car, but we own four right now so there is something we can drive out of town.

It is pretty clear the auto industry is going electric. The writing is on the wall and it is just a matter of time. Hydrogen maybe too. There will come a time we drag our vintage ICE cars out for track days and car shows and it will be hard to find fuel for them. Already is hard to find good fuel for vintage cars. Not sure if my 1983 Audi Ur Quattro will still be in my garage then, or not (the car is a total garage queen).

I'm so glad that OPEC is unable have any influence over the free market price of oil.

I really hate the Strategic Petroleum Reserve because I don't like the idea of the US government being able to regulate the price of oil.

If the price of oil was truly governed by a free market, it would be a hell of a lot higher than it is now. But, there are so many government subsidies on oil exploration, storage, R&D support and environmental destruction, that people drive 20 mpg SUVs because there is very monetary incentive to switch to a better form of transportation.

f1geek said:
I'm so glad that OPEC is unable have any influence over the free market price of oil.

I really hate the Strategic Petroleum Reserve because I don't like the idea of the US government being able to regulate the price of oil.

If the price of oil was truly governed by a free market, it would be a hell of a lot higher than it is now. But, there are so many government subsidies on oil exploration, storage, R&D support and environmental destruction, that people drive 20 mpg SUVs because there is very monetary incentive to switch to a better form of transportation.
Bicycles and roller skates for you. Boo hoo! You never fly anywhere, do you? Petroleum based. Want to fight a war? We don't have nuclear powered aircraft yet. We'll never have battery powered aircraft. Air superiority is what wins wars.

Thank you for reminding me of all the billions we spend on fighting wars to keep oil prices low - I forgot about that subsidy.

There already are battery powered aircraft. Airbus, Rolls-Royce and Siemens are currently working a hybrid electric airplane. Siemens has already demonstrated pure electric flight.

If people drive electric cars fueled with solar or wind power generated in the USA, with solar panels or wind turbines built in the USA, then we have energy security and employ American workers. And for people who don't want to pay a utility, then those people can go off the grid with battery storage and still have all the electricity they desire, free of government controlled grid electricity. A win for everyone.

f1geek said:
Thank you for reminding me of all the billions we spend on fighting wars to keep oil prices low - I forgot about that subsidy.

There already are battery powered aircraft. Airbus, Rolls-Royce and Siemens are currently working a hybrid electric airplane. Siemens has already demonstrated pure electric flight.

If people drive electric cars fueled with solar or wind power generated in the USA, with solar panels or wind turbines built in the USA, then we have energy security and employ American workers. And for people who don't want to pay a utility, then those people can dgo off the grid with battery storage and still have all the electricity they desire, free of government controlled grid electricity. A win for everyone.

I like petroleum, oil, grease, and all kinds of hydrocarbon and plastic based parts that make my life better. You forgot human rights violations, religious fanatics, 9-11, etc. There's a big difference between a tax credit and a subsidy, something the IRS understands but you don't. Don't get the two confused, it makes your argument null and void.

Back