2018 MY Qualify for Ontario EV Rebate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope this is an oversight, but I noticed the Ontario EVIP site that lists eligible EVs as having the MY 2017 E-Golf only, and not the 2018s, despite there being no difference between the two. More disturbing, some 2018 models from other manufacturers are listed.

I'm supposed to pick up my 2018 E-Golf in Toronto, on Tuesday. Everything is agreed to in principle, but I will definitely pull the plug (so to speak) on the deal if there is no incentive.

Has anyone here picked up a 2018 and has gotten the rebate?

The Ontario bureaucrats have not processed the paperwork yet. This is a quote from a VW Canada employee on the VW e-Golf Facebook group:
employee said:
The 2018 e-Golf should be on the Ontario government EVIP eligibility matrix by the end of February. A letter to this effect is in the works, because I have not had the time to draft it.

The delay has exactly nothing to do with VW Canada, and exactly everything to do with the Province of Ontario's broken application process. It is not possible to apply until you have a sample production VIN. This is not available until you build a car. The government then takes 8 weeks to process. More time due to holiday shutdown, in this case. In the meantime, the car arrives and a gap exists. By means of comparison, the BC government turned it around in about a week.

I have spent a great deal of time on the phone and in writing working every angle I can think of to minimize the delay, to no avail.
customer said:
Do you know if I was to take delivery of the car on Monday will I be able to make my rebate claim once it gets on the evip eligible vehicle list?
employee said:
From my conversations with the EVIP folks, yes. There should be nothing preventing you from taking delivery with a white and blue plate. Part of the delay is because they link to MTO for the green plate. I was told it is $59 to get it later. If you already have an offer for a loaner, that is cheaper. Ultimately it is a risk because it is technically not on there so the call has to be yours.

Thanks for the info miimura. According to what you posted, as of now the car doesn't get a green license plate?

When I was finalizing the deal on Friday, my salesperson told me specifically that I was getting green plates.

I wonder, if I get green plates, does that mean I'll get the rebate?

I was operating under the impression that I was getting the discount for sure, since I had originally signed up for a 2017. Just by fluke did I think to look up 2018 in the EVIP list. I have to talk to my salesperson tomorrow to straighten this thing out.

Quick update on my situation,

I joined the VW E-Golf Facebook page and posted a few questions in the same above-quoted exchange. It really sucks that the car is not on the list!

My dealer had offered me the rebate in three installments. I don't have the exact numbers, but I believe the inference was that the 14,000 would be evenly distributed within three years.

I emailed him today and told him that I would either want the 14,000 used as a down payment, or I would consider the three installments with enough compensation and guarantees.

If they cannot put 14,000 down (either because the EVIP program right now does not support it, or the dealership is unwilling to front all the money now), or if the installments scheme does not meet my expectations, then, I will know of a dealership with a 2018 fully-loaded White E-Golf in their lot :)

Being Sunday, I do not expect a response tonight. I will update when I know more.

It is on the MTO Eligible Vehicle page now.
I am told most people fork out the 14K off lines of credits until the gov sends the rebate.
I wish VW would find a way to apply this rebate at purchase... or offer a bridge financing.

Volkswagen

OEM Model EV Type Model Year Trim Battery Size Seating Capacity Purchase Incentive 1 Year Lease Incentive 2 Year Lease Incentive 3 Year Lease Incentive
Volkswagen e-Golf BEV 2017 Comfortline 35.8 5 $14,000 $4,667 $9,333 $14,000
Volkswagen e-Golf BEV 2018 Comfortline 35.8 5 $14,000 $4,667 $9,333 $14,000

Back