Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Any e-golf owners in Arizona?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:07 pm 

Just bought a used 2015 SEL Premium from California and had it transported here to Scottsdale.

Wondering if there were any other owners here in the Phoenix area, or elsewhere in AZ?

Post subject: Re: Any e-golf owners in Arizona?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:43 pm 

You may be the first here. It will be interesting to hear how your battery does with degradation in the heat of PHX this summer. Maybe post up some pictures of your new to you e-Golf.

How many miles on your new baby, and if you like PM me what you paid for it. Congratulations, welcome and Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:30 pm 

Not in AZ, but half hour west of Yuma in Imperial County.

My wife and I are curious about the battery degradation, as well. Looks like you and I are the guinee pigs :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:41 pm 

bizzle wrote:
Not in AZ, but half hour west of Yuma in Imperial County.

My wife and I are curious about the battery degradation, as well. Looks like you and I are the guinee pigs :)

How many miles on your e-Golf now, and has the guess-o-meter dropped any in range? I used to get 129 miles of range, in May it dropped to 125 miles of range with 5300 miles on the car, and now in June with 5850 miles on the car, I show 124 miles as maximum range.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:18 pm 

I have 3400 miles and the guesstimated range hasn't noticeably dropped yet.

It's usually around 106 if I charge it to 100% but the two main battery draws are that we have to use a/c pretty much year round and the freeways are 70mph, which has our average at around 3.5m/kw. I only charge it to 80% on the weekdays (my wife works about a mile away so it'd be sitting at full all week otherwise) and the range is usually 86 without a/c turned on. Constant A/C sucks around 5 miles off the range. I tried looking in the manual but couldn't find or figure out why when I turn the fan "down" to "low" the fan speed sounds the fastest yet when I turn the fan "up" to "high" the fan speed sounds the slowest.

This is the first summer we've had it and it's a big one...temps have been over 100 and hitting near 120 lately. We just got home and haven't been driving it much so I'll see later tonight how it's doing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:16 pm 

The GOM is not a good indicator of degradation. If you really care about degradation, you should regularly calculate the car's usable battery capacity. The best way to do this is to start from 100% charge and drive it to less than half full. Then use the Since Charge stats to calculate the usable capacity. Here's an example with made-up figures:

Since Charge:
50 miles / 4.5 mi/kWh = 11.11 kWh used
11.11 kWh / 50% SOC used = 22.22 kWh total usable capacity

There is some uncertainty (noise) in this calculation due to the whole number of miles displayed on the screen and your guess at the battery % from the small gauge, but over time you should see a trend in this capacity figure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:37 am 

miimura wrote:
The GOM is not a good indicator of degradation. If you really care about degradation, you should regularly calculate the car's usable battery capacity. The best way to do this is to start from 100% charge and drive it to less than half full. Then use the Since Charge stats to calculate the usable capacity. Here's an example with made-up figures:

Since Charge:
50 miles / 4.5 mi/kWh = 11.11 kWh used
11.11 kWh / 50% SOC used = 22.22 kWh total usable capacity

There is some uncertainty (noise) in this calculation due to the whole number of miles displayed on the screen and your guess at the battery % from the small gauge, but over time you should see a trend in this capacity figure.

Noted, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:21 am 

This month's highs, exceeding 120 degrees for a couple weeks, illustrate that it's not the battery life that's at issue but rather the A/C.
During mild temperatures, it only draws about 4-5 miles off the estimator (using about 3.5 kw/m). During this past month it's been using 2 kw/m and the A/C is sucking about 15+ miles from the range estimator.

The guestimator isn't useless, just that it has limitations as an accurate gauge. It's not really any less accurate than my TDI's guestimator...and I'm referring to the fuel gauge not the MFI. That said, I use it as a relative scale. Those numbers are telling me that it's the A/C hammering my range and not battery degradation (at least not yet). I don't think we will be able to keep the eGolf because battery degradation is a given, just a question of how much more occurs in extreme weather, and the A/C usage along with the degradation will completely kill the range.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:13 am 

Know that at or above 113F, VW has it programmed to go into limp mode to protect the battery from overheating while dishcharging/driving. That means your car may slow down unexpectedly to 40 mph on what ever road or freeway you are on. It is due to the battery chemistry that they used in the Lithium Ion Battery, and a passive cooling system not being enough, if you drive too fast.

If that occurs, turn off the AC, slow down, and do what you need to do to conserve electricity and the discharge rate of the battery to a tolerable level such that it doesn't generate excessive heat while discharging or using the battery, and go into limp mode again.

It's not a defect, it's a design limitation. Live with it, or buy something else more suitable for the heat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:52 pm 

Luckily I haven't experienced that even with ambient temps above 120. It's interesting that the batteries are staying below the ambient temp even while driving on the freeway at 70mph.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next