Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Any e-golf owners in Arizona?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:07 am 

rhmt wrote:
wasn’t bitching. just asking others about their experiences.

When you come to an enthusiasts BB, you can't expect to get the full gamut of answers. Why don't you ask VW engineers instead, or someone at VW that's at the R&D lab, for what intended use is of the e-Golf. Distances traveled in Europe are a LOT shorter than distances in the USA in the southwest. VW never designs their Golfs for the American market, certainly not the Southwest. They regularly TORTURE their cars in the summer time for testing in AZ and in Death Valley, CA. Those are TORTURE tests, not regular day in and day out driving in such extremes, several years on end. You should know that chemically, with the temps in AZ, TX and FL, it kills batteries, at an exceedingly fast rate. While VW isn't showing their details like Nissan did, Nissan Leafs in AZ roasted their battery life in the heat out there. If you have a way to defy battery chemistry, and the effects high heat has on the way chemical reactions occur, and how it shortens the life of them, great, lets hear it. I haven't heard of any chemistry breakthroughs on Li ion cells and whether their maximum storage temperatures have been increased, lately.

Most of the desert in CA is not heavily populated. VW sells 95 % + of their e-Golfs in CA in densely urban populated areas rather close to the coast and the ocean, where the temps are more moderated. People that live out in the sticks and with long distances to drive are hardly ever buying e-Golfs.

Learn more, educate yourself, next time, before you buy! http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... ion_to_die

Current observations are that the FASTER you discharge the battery, the shorter it's longevity or life. Tesla has overcome this by going with much larger capacity batteries that now run at a C .25 discharge rate, or 4 hours of usage for a full discharge. If you are in theory doing 3.9 miles per kwh with 32 kW available, you are pretty close to a C . 68 discharge rate, about 2.5 x as fast as a Tesla discharge, with a battery that has passive cooling. All those factors add up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:24 am 

new mexico is a carb state. gets pretty hot there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:25 am 

Off-topic but relevant to this thread: here's a friendly tip for improving your experience here.

You can ignore a user by going to their profile and clicking "Add foe" under their name.

For example, if you were tired to JT's irascibility, you could click on this link to add him to your ignore list. (It gives you a chance to confirm/cancel.) While it is very unfortunate that such means are necessary, my personal experience has been greatly improved since I did so.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:56 pm 

srue wrote:
Off-topic but relevant to this thread: here's a friendly tip for improving your experience here.

You can ignore a user by going to their profile and clicking "Add foe" under their name.

For example, if you were tired to JT's irascibility, you could click on this link to add him to your ignore list. (It gives you a chance to confirm/cancel.) While it is very unfortunate that such means are necessary, my personal experience has been greatly improved since I did so.

Indeed, Ignorance is Bliss. Should be noted the OP PM'd me asking my opinion, also. Because putting on blinders doesn't help you see the big picture, or be objective. Especially as a Newbie with 3 whole posts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:04 pm 

rhmt wrote:
wasn’t bitching. just asking others about their experiences.

You were asking for support of your position on your driving style being acceptable, in the climate you are in. There's no long term conclusive results in, other than on Nissan Leaf's, and AZ heat wipes out the batteries pretty quickly on those, Nissan has eaten a lot of warranties on Leafs owned, leased or operated in the AZ desert. Unless you can prove VW's batteries behave differently or otherwise, in those kind of temperatures, the only benchmark for passively cooled batteries is the results on the Nissan Leaf. That's it, for historical data.

Regarding NM, it was only recently added as a CARB state. It's not one of the original 10 when VW was selling 2015 or 2016 e-Golfs. Maybe you should have bought your e-Golf from NM, surely there's tons of them for sale there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:08 pm 

here’s my original post jackass. sound like i’m asking for support of my position? i think we’ve heard enough of your opinion here. i’m interested in others’.

just bought a 2017 egolf and love it (i live in phoenix). interested to hear if others here have noticed any significant loss of battery capacity as a result of the heat.

thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:57 pm 

Hello everyone - Just procured a 2017 e-Golf SEL. The vehicle (as near as I can determine) was a VW corporate car (never actually titled), and has 5,500 miles on it. I’m very excited because I really wanted an SEL (Please spare me the “SEL is a waste of money” lecture :-) ), but couldn’t find one locally (until last week). I live in the North Valley and will be using it to commute to downtown Phoenix. I am getting a Level 2 charger (Siemens) installed at home this week, so I can actually start driving it to work. I’m going to hold off on participating in any heat-related discussions until I can see for myself this Summer how things progress. I am a little curious about how the A/C will affect battery life, and whether the heat pump technology improves the A/C energy use or just the heat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:51 pm 

Thanks for checking in Image7801. Looking forward to your summer update! I'd also like to hear your thoughts on the Siemens EVSE.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:20 pm 

Image7801 wrote:
I’m very excited because I really wanted an SEL (Please spare me the “SEL is a waste of money” lecture :-)

Actually, it's not. The SEL's biggest advantage over the SE, besides CCS Quick Charging and up to 7.2 kW L2 charging as standard equipment, is the heat pump heater. The SE, even with the QC package, has a more energy intensive heater. As Phoenix's winter lows are in the 40's, the heat pump is perfect for that area.

At least for the US market, if you want the heat pump, you have to go with the SEL. You also get nicer LED headlamps vs. the halogens of the SE. My Alltrack has the halogens and the light out of them isn't as nice as the LEDs of my eGolf SEL.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:05 am 

Image7801 wrote:
Hello everyone - Just procured a 2017 e-Golf SEL. The vehicle (as near as I can determine) was a VW corporate car (never actually titled), and has 5,500 miles on it. I’m very excited because I really wanted an SEL (Please spare me the “SEL is a waste of money” lecture :-) ), but couldn’t find one locally (until last week). I live in the North Valley and will be using it to commute to downtown Phoenix. I am getting a Level 2 charger (Siemens) installed at home this week, so I can actually start driving it to work. I’m going to hold off on participating in any heat-related discussions until I can see for myself this Summer how things progress. I am a little curious about how the A/C will affect battery life, and whether the heat pump technology improves the A/C energy use or just the heat.

Welcome to the club Image7801! I wouldn't have bought my 2015 if it hadn't been an SEL - I hate having that feeling of regret when settling for less than you wanted.

My experience has been that using the heat is much more of a drag on the battery than the AC. The last few mornings I've gone out and 'started' (LOL) the car, turned both seat heaters on full and the heat to high with the car still plugged in. It pulls ~7A @ 240V from the wall charger like that - seems like a lot of juice! The AC pulls only a fraction of that power.

When I was shopping for an EVSE, I looked at all the usual suspects and ended up with the 40A Deluxe OpenEVSE kit. I liked the style, the configurability, and the ability to repair/replace parts should anything ever fail in it.

See you on the roads!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next