Car-Net app updated (iOS version)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PacBlue

Just noticed this morning that the iOS (mobile) version of Car-Net forced a software update on my iPhone (now version 2.2.1 dated 1/12/17); required a new 8-digit confirmation which the app accepted -- initial screen showed a Beetle convertible icon and then it eventually changed to an e-Golf; still not working all the time (may try the 'disconnect 12V battery' process that a few others have mentioned) but the interface seems to have a changed a bit. As I'm using Verizon on my phone and others already mentioned that the app uses Verizon Telematics not sure what the issues on connecting might be --- as my e-Golf is used I did need to have them change their records which they did; the whole app is klutzy to say the least but haven't quite given up yet --- would be nice if I could get the pre-climate portion to work, we'll see!

The app also added Apple Watch access ---

PacBlue said:
Just noticed this morning that the iOS (mobile) version of Car-Net forced a software update on my iPhone (now version 2.2.1 dated 1/12/17); required a new 8-digit confirmation which the app accepted -- initial screen showed a Beetle convertible icon and then it eventually changed to an e-Golf; still not working all the time (may try the 'disconnect 12V battery' process that a few others have mentioned) but the interface seems to have a changed a bit. As I'm using Verizon on my phone and others already mentioned that the app uses Verizon Telematics not sure what the issues on connecting might be --- as my e-Golf is used I did need to have them change their records which they did; the whole app is klutzy to say the least but haven't quite given up yet --- would be nice if I could get the pre-climate portion to work, we'll see!

The app also added Apple Watch access ---
The android one is down to charging, climate , and delayed charging...that's it.
The web still has Horn, Lock/Unlock , Light Flash, and Battery Range.

So after playing with it a bit today, the watch app is all but useless. You can't check the status of the car if the iOS app has logged you out. So you have to take out the phone, open the app, enter your PIN, then check the status on the watch. At that point might as well just use the phone.

Jeremy1026 said:
So after playing with it a bit today, the watch app is all but useless. You can't check the status of the car if the iOS app has logged you out. So you have to take out the phone, open the app, enter your PIN, then check the status on the watch. At that point might as well just use the phone.
Wait till you have to put the car code AND the pin again.

forbin404 said:
Jeremy1026 said:
Wait till you have to put the car code AND the pin again.

:lol: Not quite yet ready for prime time. The only thing I am interested in is how much longer the recharge session is going to take.

So it looks like VW wants $199/year for the Remote functions in the IOS App.
VW, I'm not going to pay that......... EVER.

I think when the lease is up I'll need to be looking at the Remote settings on an i3

Way to go VW, took a really happy 2015 E-Golf SEL customer and turned them against you.
I hope the ~5% of customers that do renew made that worth while!

Sincerely

Barry

Just updated the iOS app. I'm running iOS 9 as my iPhone 4S is not supported by iOS 10. Car-Net works better than it did before - it is clearly snappier than the previous version. I did lose the remote features as described by someone else, but I had them for free for nearly two years, so I don't mind losing them. The climate control settings and charging info is working just fine. I have not tried the delayed charging as my utility does not offer TOU pricing. When the car is charging there is a "glow" around the battery icon.

Similar story here:
iPhone 7, iOS 10.2(14C92)
Car-Net app updated 1/12/17 to version 2.2.1.
Required login.
Now Remote section of app has this message: Remote: The License has expired. Please log into the VW Car-Net portal for more information.
I login to the web, Remote section works just fine.

In the car: Press i-button, connect after a long delay to Car-Net.
He descibes in detail "VW Car-Net 3 year EV Complimentary Subscription"
Says I should have lost access to "other features" after 3 months
Offers me 3 year of service for just $540. :lol:

Watch app is pretty.

I updated my CarNet app on my iPhone 6S. I do agree it's a lot snappier than before. I haven't tried remotely turning on the climate control, which on the old app sometimes faltered. Hopefully the update improved this.

One thing: does anybody know how to change the icon on the login screen (where you enter your PIN)? Now it's showing a Beetle instead of a Golf, e- or otherwise. It doesn't seem to be in the Settings menu.

Had a few minutes before leaving for work today so decided to try and call Car-Net support to get the latest --- wasn't wild about a 12V battery disconnect fix that some have tried as ANY new car can exhibit weird behavior afterwards but would be willing if that's the only thing that might work --- anyway, after being transferred a few times (and then waiting for a callback from VWOA Customer Care who now takes care of any tech issues) they say that the whole thing is down and I should wait 24 hours to see if it will sync and/or interact with my smartphone. No exact ETA on when, the tech wasn't sure if this would be an actual new iOS update or something in the background to fix it but I'll give them their time --- basically all I really want to do is set a lower % charge without having to physically go down to the car and unlock and disconnect my EVSE in the garage before it reaches a full charge (this is unique for '15's I'm guessing as the '16's can change that in the car itself). Otherwise; it's interesting that all the other interfaces (bluetooth for my iPhone, XM radio, etc.) work flawlessly --- I even had a bit of luck getting album art to show up while playing an SD card; not even sure why some show up and others don't but that's for another day. VW and others could learn a lot from Tesla with their OTA (over-the-air) software updates. If they REALLY want to be a key player with EV's they have a ways to go --- great overall EV so its good it doesn't need much but this app gives them a black eye.

Their servers are down, nothing works!

The new version of the iOS is worse than before, except one feature, it does not timeout after 15 minutes like before.

The carnet web portal wasn't any better, I couldn't make any setting changes the last couple of days (maybe the portal has never worked, I did not use it before the latest iOS app stops allowing remote functions.)

TwoCarsAWeek said:
Their servers are down, nothing works!

The new version of the iOS is worse than before, except one feature, it does not timeout after 15 minutes like before.

The carnet web portal wasn't any better, I couldn't make any setting changes the last couple of days (maybe the portal has never worked, I did not use it before the latest iOS app stops allowing remote functions.)

Back up now. Looks like it was down widespread from about 8:00an to 12:30pm EST.

Yes, it appeared the service came back up as soon as I sent the comment.

With the iPhone app, it does timeout the login. It is just that the latest version does not force you back to the enter PIN screen and gives you an error on the status update instead! (Big improvement!)

The Apple Watch app is neat:
1) only 4 screens for me (maybe because I do not have paid subscription)
2) the first status screen does show the status of my eGolf being locked or not, Yeh! (even the iPhone app won't show that screen; neither was I able to find the "lock" status on the web portal. I was able to unable the car from the web portal though.)
3) it shows a screen to set the climate control on the car but failed with an error when you try the "Start" button. (different interpretation of Remote function is not available if you do not have paid subscription.)

VW once again shows how poor their software skills are.

The iOS app version in actuality has never worked right for me since I had them transfer it to me from the first owner (he happened to have the same first name) back on 1/2/17 a few days after I bought it used (the day is easy to remember because trying to change the charge start time never updates from 1/2/17) -- they're still working on a longer term fix as they tell me that it STILL has problems freezing or locking for a number of owners. In my case, even the web version can't connect remotely with the car -- about the only thing it will do (eventually) is show the miles left range and actual mileage of the car; this shows me that somehow it connects with the car. The latest is that I should expect a call back next Tuesday (1/31) with an update -- I can live without this app I suppose but would be nice to set the charging to less than 100% as well as the HVAC pre-conditioning which isn't currently possible. Have now racked up a bit over 1K miles and have been quite happy with the car other than this app.

As others have mentioned as well, VWOA Customer Care is now responsible for the Car-Net app tech side so let's see if they can get it working -- they have really long support cal-in wait times due to the whole dieselgate claims processing but would assume this team shouldn't have that on their plate; will update if they fix it.

The way this functionality has been implemented bothers me to no end. Besides the fact that the 2015 owners can't even configure their charge times, those of us who don't want to pay for access are going to have these useless buttons on our roofline for as long as we keep the car. Way to go VW!

I've been going back and forth with Car-Net and VW since the app update last week, first about login issues and then about the "Remote" features being taken away. Every rep I've spoken with has told me something slightly different. Currently, Car-Net is saying that I am supposed to have 3 complimentary years of the charging features as well as the "Remote" features, but not crash notification, emergency assistance, vehicle recovery and roadside assistance. VW is currently saying I am only supposed to have the charging features and nothing else as part of the 3-year complimentary service.

Regardless, both are contradicting what (a) the dealer told me when I purchased the car, (b) what Car-Net confirmed via email shortly after I purchased the car, and (c) what Car-Net confirmed verbally when I called them after receiving the "your trial subscription is ending" notices about 6 months after purchasing the car.

Here's the email they sent me about 3-4 weeks after I purchased the car:

"Thank you for choosing our Car-Net service for your 2015 VW e-GOLF COMFO 85 E1F with the Vehicle Identification Number of XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

You are currently enrolled in a 3 year EV complimentary service. Your subscription effective dates are 12/08/2014 – 12/08/2017.

Your account number: XXXXXXXXX

Your activation provides you access to several Safety & Security and Convenience features such as:

• Automatic Crash Notification
• Manual Emergency Call Assistance
• Stolen Vehicle Recovery/ Vehicle Tracking
• Remote Door Unlock
• Roadside Assistance
• And more

If you have any questions, please contact us at 877-820-2290.

Again, thank you for choosing Car-Net services. We look forward to providing you with an exceptional customer experience.

Sincerely,
VW Car-Net Response Center"

If it wasn't so frustrating, it might almost be amusing listening to them try to spin how that email was either "just a standard template" (Car-Net) or simply highlighting "some of the features included in the 6-month trial subscription" (VW) - despite the fact that the only subscription ever mentioned is 3 years.

Did any other 2015/2016 owners receive a similar email about 3-4 weeks after purchasing your car?

Back