Delayed Charging issue FIXED by software update TSB 2040470

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mille

Dealer updated software on my e-Golf yesterday, and this is what I have noticed without spending any time digging into the setup:

Charging plug can be removed from car without having to press "unlock" on the remote when car is already open.

Delayed charging appears to be working. I connected the vehicle to my L2 charger at 8PM last night (@ 75% battery charge) with "Departure time" set to 7AM. Battery @ 100% this morning!!!!

So far, so good...

Mille said:
Dealer updated software on my e-Golf yesterday, and this is what I have noticed without spending any time digging into the setup:

Charging plug can be removed from car without having to press "unlock" on the remote when car is already open.

Delayed charging appears to be working. I connected the vehicle to my L2 charger at 8PM last night (@ 75% battery charge) with "Departure time" set to 7AM. Battery @ 100% this morning!!!!

So far, so good...
IMHO, if you can't set the schedule in the car, they didn't fix it completely. My problem is that I can't get Car-Net to accept any schedule for my car. I just opened a case with them on it. Changing the behavior of the charge port lock is of course welcome.

Apparently I was the first customer at my dealership to apply TSB 2040470.

I dropped off the car, and they didn't know about it off hand, but when I picked up the car a couple hours later with the fix applied, the e-Golfs that they had on the lot were all in a line at the service department to have the same TSB applied.

Mille said:

So far, so good...

This is great news. I don't plan to use delayed charging often, so I'm not in a rush to get that fixed. However, I'm extremely interested in having the ability to control the charging plug lock (especially remotely). So, in theory, if Car-Net is working (which mine is thanks to the 12V disconnect trick) and one has this TSB applied properly, it seems that the eGolf might be workable at shared charging stations. I frequently travel for work and park at an airport w/ free charging. I want to be able to plug in to charge when I arrive, but have not done so because it would be a jerk move w/ the eGolf's locking charger. With this fix, I could affix a sign to the charge plug with a time when my charge would complete and, in theory, a mobile number for the next charger to text me, and I could unlock and re-lock remotely w/ Car-Net. Not perfect, but seems workable in theory. I may call the dealer to request this TSB and try this theoretical work-around out just for curiosity's sake.

Cheers,
Tim

TEConnor said:
... With this fix, I could affix a sign to the charge plug with a time when my charge would complete and, in theory, a mobile number for the next charger to text me, and I could unlock and re-lock remotely w/ Car-Net. Not perfect, but seems workable in theory. ...
As far as I know, there's no way to remotely lock the car. However, provided no one opens a door on the car within about a minute of an unlock, the car will auto-lock again. At least you can remotely check if this happened, also.

Unbeliever said:
Apparently I was the first customer at my dealership to apply TSB 2040470.

Aaaaand, they didn't do it correctly.

I woke up this morning to a car that didn't charge.

The service manager gave me a copy of the TSB text. It looks like it's not a software update, but a settings fix.

Hmmm... No document attachment available here. Else I would have posted a PDF scan.

Since applying the TSB didn't work the 1st time a couple weeks ago, I went in again on Friday for them to try it again.

The service guy re-applied TSB 2040470, and also noticed the Air Conditioner faults that I didn't notice since I haven't really used it and applied TSB 2040184. The tech also called VW and CarNet and both said things looked good on their ends. When I got home I noticed my CarNet settings were all wiped out, so I re-entered all my profiles and settings. I enabled a profile that charged to 100% with no climate control, and the car properly went into delayed charging mode.

This morning: Nothing. No charge. So the TSB did NOT work for me.

Has anybody had the TSB applied that also has a Clipper Creek HCS-40 EVSE? I doubt it's the EVSE as the supplied L1 EVSE is also a (rebadged) Clipper Creek unit. (an PCS-15). I'm trying to head off a "it's your EVSE" claim from VW.

Tonight I'm going to try a profile with climate control enabled. Before the TSB, the car would wake up and start charging, but stop after the climate control timed out, so you only got enough charge for the 1-ish hour it was awake controlling the climate.

Tomorrow night, I'm going to try a profile that will only take a couple hours at L1 and try the supplied EVSE with NO climate.

Did the VW tech try to do the delayed charging after they applied the TSB to see if it works for them?

oftheseven said:
Did the VW tech try to do the delayed charging after they applied the TSB to see if it works for them?

No, as it would involve leaving the car off and unmolested for many hours. After 2 hours, the car goes into deep sleep, and doesn't wake up to charge once it has. That's what the TSB was supposed to fix.

The car, even pre-TSB will wake up and charge if the car figures that it should start charging within 2 hours of shutting off the car. Example, if the car figures it needs 2 hours to charge, and you shut off the car and plug in right at midnight, if you set a time past 4am, it will not wake up to charge.

That's one of the reasons why I'm doing a charge+climate profile for tonight. I left the car in a charge state this afternoon where I know it will take way more than an hour to charge. If I only get a partial charge, that means the car woke up for climate, but fell asleep and stopped charging when the climate timeout occurred. That's exactly the behavior pre-TSB.

Next will be a quick top-off charge level with the supplied L1 EVSE. Say from 90% to 100%. Something that the supplied EVSE can do in less than a couple hours. I tried that before the TSB and the car didn't wake up then, either. Post-TSB if it still doesn't wake up, I can throw "it's your EVSE" back as an invalid reason.

Unbeliever said:
That's one of the reasons why I'm doing a charge+climate profile for tonight. I left the car in a charge state this afternoon where I know it will take way more than an hour to charge. If I only get a partial charge, that means the car woke up for climate, but fell asleep and stopped charging when the climate timeout occurred. That's exactly the behavior pre-TSB.

That's what happened this morning. With climate control, it charged from 25% to 49%, when the setting was to 100%.

*sigh*

More oddness. The profile I'm running tonight has a "night time" period of 9pm to 9am, charge to 100%, and a departure time of 7am.

I plugged in the L1 EVSE at 5pm after drawing the car down to about 80%.

Right at 9pm, the car started charging, which is sort of good since it started charging way past the 2 hour deep sleep window, but with a completion time of about 12:30 to 1am, way before 7am.

I swapped out the L1 for my L2 (Clipper Creek HCS-40), and the car went into delayed charging mode with the steady blinks.

I swapped again back to the L1 and the car went to delayed charging mode for about 30 seconds, and then started charging.

I went ahead and left the L2 plugged in, since this profile seems to have started charging.

No joy on the L2 Clipper Creek.

I can hit 'charge now' on CarNet no matter how long the car has been off with the HCS-40, but it's not charging on its own with the HCS-40, only with the supplied L1 PCS-15.

I have observed that our e-Golf, now that the TSB has been applied, requests power from the EVSE immediately at plug-in, causing it to close the relay inside the EVSE and pass power to the car. If it is on delay, then the car does not actively charge, but it can see the voltage. When the dome lights and charge port lights go off and the car goes to sleep, the EVSE relay opens. This is true for the provided 120V charge cord and my 240V Leviton EVSE.

Does your car and your HCS-40 do the same? I have the "Night Rate" CarNet function turned off and a single 7 day departure schedule set. It works completely as expected with the exception of the car charging slower than calculated on 120V. So, I set the departure time to 6am instead of the end of my Off-Peak rate window, which is 7am.

miimura said:
Does your car and your HCS-40 do the same?

Yes, both the big and little Clipper Creek siblings do the same at first plug-in.

miimura said:
I have the "Night Rate" CarNet function turned off and a single 7 day departure schedule set.

Hmm. I haven't tried turning off the night rate. I'll try that tonight.

Another trigger is that if I'm plugged in and turn off all the schedules on CarNet, though it's not immediate, it will shortly (within 30 minutes) wake up and start charging.

Not yet. Check the dates, this is ongoing.

It didn't charge this morning with the night-time schedules turned off.

Had TSB applied yesterday at VW of Oakland. Came home, set up schedule and plugged in EVSE about 4pm. Charge occurred sometime after I went to bed and before I woke up. Exactly as expected. No reboot necessary.

So far the following has been reported to work with delayed charge:

Included L1 charger
Levitron EVB40
Juicebox 40 Pro
Siemens 30A

Anyone else out there with other chargers(e.g. Clipper Creek L2 chargers)? I'd like to get your input on delayed charge.

sweetwagon said:
Anyone else out there with other chargers(e.g. Clipper Creek L2 chargers)? I'd like to get your input on delayed charge.

Same here.

I opened a case with Clipper Creek this afternoon just to cover my bases from another angle and sent them a very detailed message. They're researching it, now.

Back