Is Car Net subscription mandatory for Mobile App usage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcappel

i just received an email from Car Net asking me to renew my subscription after the 6 month introductory period. When I purchased the car, the sales rep promised that mobile app usage would continue whether i subscribed or not.

Anyone been through this process before? While the mobile app is truly shite...i need it to confirm delayed charging.

pcappel said:
i just received an email from Car Net asking me to renew my subscription after the 6 month introductory period. When I purchased the car, the sales rep promised that mobile app usage would continue whether i subscribed or not.

Anyone been through this process before? While the mobile app is truly shite...i need it to confirm delayed charging.

You should tell them to check their records, the E-Golf comes with 3 years of Car-Net, not 6 months. They tried the same crap on me, and I had to correct them, and this was just starting the service. Verizon is slimy crap with their scam tactics.

Exactly! That was my understanding, too. Car Net's response was that although the EV services continue free, I can't use their mobile app unless I continue my Car Net subscription. Which is basically saying the EV services are useless.

Anyone actually had their mobile app terminated because they didn't resubscribe? Or is this really just an empty threat/scam?

wondering the same thing. carnet rep told me I need to pay for carnet to continue to use app despite it saying 3 years comp'd for the EV related items.

I guess I'll find out in 6 months.

I checked with the sales rep at Dirito Brothers in Walnut Creek, Ca where I bought the car. Sh e confirmed that the mobile app and its associated EV services is free for 3 years with the eGolf.

Either VW product groups are simply not coordinating or Car Net is engaged in a campaign of disinformation to generate revenues.

Pre-TDI scandal I would not assume either is highly likely. Funny how trust can evaporate so fast.

pcappel said:
I checked with the sales rep at Dirito Brothers in Walnut Creek, Ca where I bought the car. Sh e confirmed that the mobile app and its associated EV services is free for 3 years with the eGolf.

Either VW product groups are simply not coordinating or Car Net is engaged in a campaign of disinformation to generate revenues.

Pre-TDI scandal I would not assume either is highly likely. Funny how trust can evaporate so fast.
Makes sense. Just like the XM sat radio people. They'll do anything to get you to sign up

DasCC said:
Makes sense. Just like the XM sat radio people. They'll do anything to get you to sign up
XM salespeople were relentless with our e-Golf. The funny thing is that the car is parked in our garage or in underground parking at my wife's office most of the time, so the signal to cut the subscription was never received by the radio. It's still working! Suck it XM!

pcappel said:

Go to your Car-net Account page (top right)

Mine says:
VW Car-Net New Vehicle Trial
Subscription active until Dec 19, 2015
VW Car-Net 3 year EV Complimentary
Subscription active until Jun 19, 2018

Looks like it will auto-renew the subscription, but it's just goes by a different promotional name. So, DONT PAY!

We have 2 subscription when buy/lease eGolf:
- one 6 month trial of more advanced stuff, like auto collision notification, vehicle assist etc.
- 3 year complimentary service (app access, only access to check charge etc)

I just got off the phone with a Car Net rep. As, vetaldj said, the 6 month trial includes "remote" things like remote door locking. The 3 year "EV" service includes starting & stopping charging, and setting up climate control schedules. I also asked if you could purchase *just* the EV features after the 3 year trial ends at a reduced cost, and they said "not right now, but we are working on that option & it should be available by the time the 3 year trial ends".

i just called customer service about carnet because of a problem with charging - not just was i told that i needed to subscribe to the regular carnet in order to use the "complimentary" ev carnet features, but then they seemed to have shut down my mobile access as a result of my call, and now i cannot login to the website or the mobile app to even see if my car is charging...

jballon said:
i just called customer service about carnet because of a problem with charging - not just was i told that i needed to subscribe to the regular carnet in order to use the "complimentary" ev carnet features, but then they seemed to have shut down my mobile access as a result of my call, and now i cannot login to the website or the mobile app to even see if my car is charging...

keep entering your PIN and sometimes you get it.

I called to cancel after I noticed the $200+ charge on my credit card bill now that my 6-month full service car net trial has expired. I was not impressed with the sales pitch. She heard my young child the background and tried to guilt me into keeping the service due to the safety features that would protect my daughter in an accident. It didn't work on me. However, since I called I cannot open my car net app to access the basic EV features that should still be active, I receive the following message, "Account is locked for a few hours. Please try again later." I doubt that this is a coincidence.

I know this thread is getting a bit stale now, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the 3-year complementary access transfers to the new owner when the car is sold? I just purchased a 2015 e-golf and, once I get it back from the recall repair, I hope to press the Car Net button and activate my access to the app.

Anyone see any terms and conditions on this? Fine print anywhere? I have nothing...

Spektre said:
I know this thread is getting a bit stale now, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the 3-year complementary access transfers to the new owner when the car is sold? I just purchased a 2015 e-golf and, once I get it back from the recall repair, I hope to press the Car Net button and activate my access to the app.

Anyone see any terms and conditions on this? Fine print anywhere? I have nothing...

Asked and answered.

I called Car-Net using the 'i' button on the overhead console. There is no transfer of benefits from the original owner, but they do give you 3 months free trial. As someone stated earlier in the thread, they push the safety thing pretty hard. I went in knowing this, so I wasn't too put off by their approach.

Spektre said:
Spektre said:

Asked and answered.

I called Car-Net using the 'i' button on the overhead console. There is no transfer of benefits from the original owner, but they do give you 3 months free trial. As someone stated earlier in the thread, they push the safety thing pretty hard. I went in knowing this, so I wasn't too put off by their approach.
You should still have the 'forever' benefits of checking your car on the app.

After multiple calls to car-net and what appeared to be a glimmer of hope (I had functional EV features), I received a call from a car-net supervisor telling me that I need the paid subscription to get the complimentary EV features. I have the brochure right in front of me. Total BS. I think I'll file a BBB complaint.

REM said:
After multiple calls to car-net and what appeared to be a glimmer of hope (I had functional EV features), I received a call from a car-net supervisor telling me that I need the paid subscription to get the complimentary EV features. I have the brochure right in front of me. Total BS. I think I'll file a BBB complaint.
Are you the original owner/lessee? If so, call VW customer service. It is their responsibility to deliver the features they specified for their vehicle. They must enforce their promises with Verizon Telematics, the operator of the CarNet service.

If you are not the original owner/lessee VW may not have the same responsibility to you. However, if you live in California or another area that has Time of Use metering, I would push VW to provide the EV telematics service at no charge because it is the only way to set the charging schedule in a 2015 US e-Golf.

Back