Only 293 US egolfs sold in June

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
Skryll said:
http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/ still no reasonable amount per month, GM Bolt already sold 2114 in two months whereas eGolf only sold 625. Very sad, since eGolf is a very good looking car with the light accents, and decent seats, small turning radius, aggressive acceleration, and just is real fun to drive. Looks you would think are important especially when compared to the Leaf that doesnt have that much more range but sold 1805 times which is more than twice that.

Is it lack of advertisement and will to sell it ?

Or is it still only available in some states as a compliance car instead of everywhere ?

IMHO 90% of families with a garage and two cars in there could cut down their monthly costs by replacing the shorter distance car with an eGolf. the market should be big, if properly advertised.

What's killing most EV sales are cheap gas prices. I was just in Phoenix, AZ where I filled up at Costco for $1.99/gal. Economically, it's very hard for an EV to compete with that especially since with an EV you have disadvantages and limitations over a petroleum-fueled car. Fuel was considerably more expensive when the Leaf came out for MY2011...

What's killing me is that there are so many more reasons to drive electric than just the cost, but it doesnt get advertised enough:
- guilt free acceleration, especially when you have solar panels on your garage
- immediate torque, at a two lane light, I always see the gas cars in the rear view mirror when the light turned green as they are still revving up while I am already gone
- less brake pad wear because of regenerative braking
- less time and money wasted with service appointments, no more oil change or smog check appointments, and for my day to day driving never having to go out of my way to charge or fill up gas, just plug in at home and it is full in the morning.
- precool/heat the cabin from the iphone while at breakfast with car still in the garage, no poisonous gases
- clean air
- no rumble, stupid noises, shaking, delayed accelerations, gas cars fell real stupid once you are used to electric driving
- less annoyance at residential stop sign maze about the wastefulness of gas when stopping and going all the time on empty streets, as number one i don't use gas and number two regenerative braking captures some of that energy back
- stop and go traffic is actually more efficient than highway speed driving, so there is no 'am I going to run out of gas idling in traffic' ever again.

Land lines are cheaper than mobile phones but I would never trade back down again once I am used to an iphone. Same goes for electric driving.

Skryll said:
What's killing me is that there are so many more reasons to drive electric than just the cost, but it doesnt get advertised enough

I agree with you that there's more to EV driving than just costs and "tree hugging," but to the average American the whole notion of being unable to jump into a car and take that spur of the moment 150 mile drive really is a big psychological barrier, never mind that they rarely do that at all without some advance notice.

EVs will work for a very large number of Americans especially those with more than one car, but again range anxiety is a big turn off. If gas were expensive they're more willing to deal with that but not when gas is cheap. And that's before you deal with the fact that EV's and hybrids are going to be more expensive to purchase than a pure petroleum equivalent.

RonDawg said:
Skryll said:
What's killing me is that there are so many more reasons to drive electric than just the cost, but it doesnt get advertised enough

I agree with you that there's more to EV driving than just costs and "tree hugging," but to the average American the whole notion of being unable to jump into a car and take that spur of the moment 150 mile drive really is a big psychological barrier, never mind that they rarely do that at all without some advance notice.

EVs will work for a very large number of Americans especially those with more than one car, but again range anxiety is a big turn off. If gas were expensive they're more willing to deal with that but not when gas is cheap. And that's before you deal with the fact that EV's and hybrids are going to be more expensive to purchase than a pure petroleum equivalent.

Well, I jumped in the car on Saturday and went up to Santa Ynez Valley to go wine tasting. Trip was decided Friday night. 310 miles, round trip. No time wasted charging. TDI filled the bill. But you are correct, the e-golf is good for 90-95% of all my other trips, and 60%-70% of the miles traveled.

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:
Skryll said:

Well, I jumped in the car on Saturday and went up to Santa Ynez Valley to go wine tasting. Trip was decided Friday night. 310 miles, round trip. No time wasted charging. TDI filled the bill. But you are correct, the e-golf is good for 90-95% of all my other trips, and 60%-70% of the miles traveled.

Funny enough I can do the same with our Tesla Model X, but I would pick the winery with a tesla charger, which there are plenty to chose from :) No time wasted either.

I'd like to replace my Golf tdi next year with the e-Golf, I've another ICE car for travel and the e-Golf will be strictly for around town driving. However, I live in Florida and the dealer here is clueless if Florida will ever get the 2018 e-Golf. I told the dealer that I'm willing to delay turning in the tdi (buyback) if I get some assurance that I'll get the e-Golf ..... no dice! Even though VW said they plan to sell the car in all 50 states (not every dealer), the word out there is to believe it when the car is actually on dealer's lot. Will wait till end of '17 before I look for another EV.

I have an e-Golf as my only car. I live in the Washington DC area, which is densely populated, so it gets me everywhere I need to go. If I ever need to take a longer trip, a rental car would be the solution. Much cheaper than having a second car that is used just a couple times a year.

Back