2017 e-golf release date on April?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nannup

Hi,

According to this site: http://www.goingelectric.de/2016/11/20/news/volkswagen-e-golf-300-km-reichweite/

"The market launch is scheduled for April 2017."

Most articles only note an "early 2017" release date in the US.

So, is the best understanding for the 2017 to be available in April-May 2017 and the 2018 model year to be available in late 2017?

It looks to me like VW USA is going back on their announcement that 2017 is "unchanged from 2016". There are almost 900 new 2016 e-Golf cars in dealer inventories right now. That is a relatively large number compared to the history of the car in the US market. I'm betting they will bring the higher capacity e-Golf as a 2017 model year vehicle late in Q1-2017 or early in Q2. This is based on how they presented the car at the LA Auto Show. The Wolfsburg factory has probably already stopped producing the pre-facelift 2016 model, so VW will start scheduling the US production in Q1 and then start shipping them over. The question remains how they will handle the 2017 introduction. They have had a history of holding new model year cars until regions or individual dealers have sold out of the previous year's cars.

miimura said:
There are almost 900 new 2016 e-Golf cars in dealer inventories right now...They have had a history of holding new model year cars until regions or individual dealers have sold out of the previous year's cars.

They've sold over 300 a month for the last 5 months; even with the typical January/February sales downturn they should have most of not all those cleared out by mid Spring. I really think this is when the 2018 MY will hit the lots.

The thing I really don't understand is why there are still 5 new 2015 e-Golf cars sitting on dealer lots on the east coast. Why haven't they blown them out (deep discounted) to get rid of them in the last year? Surely somebody would buy it at the right price...

Ok, that clears it up. My confusion was over the 2017 verses 2018 model year.

In summary, the next release should be the higher capacity e-Golf (http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-unveils-new-e-golf-la-auto-show/). It is likely available in the US starting around April (+/- a month). It should be called the "2017 model year".

Thanks!

February press release from VW confirms the battery size, charger, and range.

2017 E-GOLF OFFERS IMPROVED RANGE AND FUEL ECONOMY
Herndon, VA, February 22, 2017 — Volkswagen of America, Inc., is pleased to announce fuel economy figures for the 2017 e-Golf. Compared to its predecessor, the new e-Golf offers an improved EPA-estimated range and fuel economy, as well as more power.

For 2017, Volkswagen is using a new lithium-ion battery with an increased energy capacity of 35.8 kWh from 24.2 kWh. The new battery helps increase the vehicle’s range from an EPA-estimated total range of 83 miles to 125 miles on a single charge. The 7.2 kW on-board charger is now standard on both SE and SEL Premium trims, which enables the battery to be charged in less than six hours at a 240V charging station. When equipped with DC Fast Charging (optional on SE, standard on SEL Premium), the battery can be charged to 80 percent within an hour at a DC fast charging station.

Improved battery chemistry also helps improve the overall fuel economy of the 2017 e-Golf. For city driving, the EPA estimated fuel economy is 126 MPGe; highway driving is rated at 111 MPGe, and combined city/ highway at 119 MPGe, improved over the 2016 EPA estimates of 126, 105 and 116, respectively. The 2017 e-Golf EPA estimates are the best in the Compact Class, as defined by the EPA.

The electric motor on the 2017 e-Golf has been upgraded as well. Where the 2016 e-Golf utilized an 85 kW electric motor developing 115 horsepower, the new 100 kW electric motor develops 134 horsepower. At the same time, the maximum torque of the electric motor has been boosted from 199 pound-feet to 214 lb-ft. The 2017 e-Golf runs zero to 60 mph faster than its predecessor—now in just 9.6 seconds—and its top speed increases to 93 mph.

In addition to these engineering improvements, the 2017 e-Golf is wallet friendly. Using 13 cents per kilowatt-hour, the EPA has estimated an annual fuel cost of just $550.

The 2017 e-Golf goes on sale this Spring. Pricing will be announced closer to market introduction.

I am looking to buy an EV in September, I contacted VW Canada and they told me "The e-Golf will be launched in the third quarter of 2017, however at this time we do not have the exact launch date." I am finding it hard to work out which dealers might be getting the perhaps 200 cars destined for Canada. With $14,000 subsidy available from the Province, 200 might not be enough for Ontario, let alone the rest of the country. The 200 figure comes from my local dealer who is not likely to see any this year.

Can37 said:
I am looking to buy an EV in September, I contacted VW Canada and they told me "The e-Golf will be launched in the third quarter of 2017, however at this time we do not have the exact launch date." I am finding it hard to work out which dealers might be getting the perhaps 200 cars destined for Canada. With $14,000 subsidy available from the Province, 200 might not be enough for Ontario, let alone the rest of the country. The 200 figure comes from my local dealer who is not likely to see any this year.

Volkswagen Canada began taking reservations for the 2017 eGolf yesterday!

From the information they supplied, May for customization, July-August delivery.

Atlasman said:
Can37 said:

From the information they supplied, May for customization, July-August delivery.

Those will all be 2018 models, if delivered in July or August. May will be the end or last of the 2017 production runs.

Can37 said:

I am betting that with the temperatures there in your country, unless you keep your e-golf garaged in the colder months in Canada, you're not going to be seeing 125 miles on a charge, not with all the other accessories you are used to running to stay warm. Get used to bundling up and not using the heater, if you want to go very far. Electricity from a battery will eat your remaining range like crazy defrosting windows and running any electrical accessories in those frozen temperatures. Lithium batteries don't do well in cold weather like you have that far north.

JoulesThief said:
Atlasman said:
Can37 said:

Those will all be 2018 models, if delivered in July or August. May will be the end or last of the 2017 production runs.

It's definitely 2017. I got my reservation in for $1000.

Atlasman said:
JoulesThief said:
Atlasman said:

It's definitely 2017. I got my reservation in for $1000.

I've known VW long enough to know to never buy a VW model until it's on the dealerships lot and for sale. Good luck with your 2017 e-Golf with 200 km of range and 35.8 kwh battery. Believe it when you have one in hand.

Back