2017 Volkswagen e-Golf: first drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvblake22

Nothing too noteworthy but it's nice to see some other first-hand experiences.
Meanwhile, what we can tell you is that the latest e-Golf is exactly what it was before: a Volkswagen Golf that happens to run on battery power.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1110295_2017-volkswagen-e-golf-first-drive-of-updated-125-mile-electric-car

I see they didn't change anything interior especially the stupid placement of the ECO button next to the On/Off button.

I think the engine looks different, I never took the cover off mine.

I wonder what the new black circles on the power electronics module are for:
97dGS7C.jpg

Pie-in-the-sky dream would be for an optional front charge port like the GTE:
Hth5N85.jpg

Yes, I want redundant charge ports :p

gvblake22 said:
Verkehr said:
Pie-in-the-sky dream would be for an optional front charge port
Or just move it to the front, where it probably should be.

So when you rear end someone in an accident, you can no longer recharge your car, because the plastic shattered everywhere. No thank you. I'll keep mine where it is.

JoulesThief said:
gvblake22 said:
Verkehr said:
Pie-in-the-sky dream would be for an optional front charge port
Or just move it to the front, where it probably should be.

So when you rear end someone in an accident, you can no longer recharge your car, because the plastic shattered everywhere. No thank you. I'll keep mine where it is.
Lol if you rear end someone, you most likely dented the hood, and the car isn't drivable anyhow.

Rear crashes also damage the quarter panel and wrecks the rear charger as well.

Of course, I am thankful you know more than VW about building and designing cars, be it petrol powered or electric. Because you've designed and manufactured and sold how many cars? :mrgreen:

I will maintain that the rear charge port is more viable as still being functional in a minor fender bender accident, than one mounted in the nose piece /front grille. Tesla seems to agree with the practicality of it all, and they've sold how many electric cars? As does BMW, Ford, Chevrolet, Fiat etc. Only the Japanese seem to mount the charge port in the front grille. Must be a Chademo thing. Let's agree to disagree on opinion.

404, where do you attend school? As a Student or as administration or as a professor?

JoulesThief said:
Of course, I am thankful you know more than VW about building and designing cars, be it petrol powered or electric. Because you've designed and manufactured and sold how many cars? :mrgreen:

I will maintain that the rear charge port is more viable as still being functional in a minor fender bender accident, than one mounted in the nose piece /front grille. Tesla seems to agree with the practicality of it all, and they've sold how many electric cars? As does BMW, Ford, Chevrolet, Fiat etc. Only the Japanese seem to mount the charge port in the front grille. Must be a Chademo thing. Let's agree to disagree on opinion.

404, where do you attend school? As a Student or as administration or as a professor?
What does manufacuting and designing cars have to do with anything?

I've CRASHED quite a few cars..haha That's first person experience.

Now if I was a designer, I would put the charging port on both places to make charging the car easy.

Or even if it was just on the front-half of the vehicle, doesn't have to be at the extreme front-end. Could be like where Ford places their charge ports below the driver's side mirror.

Car and Driver just posted their first drive impressions too...
VW says the e-Golf’s improvement was accomplished via battery optimization. The new model is indeed packing a new battery pack with revised cell chemistry, not just a software change
All of which makes us excited for the near future, when VW plans to launch a dedicated EV platform that won’t be just a gasoline car stuffed with a battery pack and an electric motor.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-volkswagen-e-golf-ev-first-drive-review

There are three common charge port locations that make sense and a fourth that is just stupid.

Front - Nissan Leaf, Kia Soul EV, A3 eTron
Driver's side front fender - Ford Energi, Focus Electric, BMW 330e, 530e, 740e, X5 PHEV, i8, Chevy Spark EV, Bolt EV, Volt, Volvo XC90-T8, Pacifica Hybrid, Cadillac ELR
Rear Fender - Tesla S&X, Toyota RAV4 EV, Prius Plug-In, Prius Prime, Mercedes B-Class, VW e-Golf, Fiat 500e, BMW i3, Porsche Cayenne e-Hybrid, Panamera e-Hybrid, Smart ED, Hyundai Ioniq Electric, Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Rear Bumper - Mercedes S550e, GLE550e, C350e

MB_Bumper_Plug.jpg

I would love the charger port to move to the front or front side panels. Cashes can occur on any part of the car so I'm not going to worry about that.

I am just so sick of backing in to chargers - including my own driveway! - which other ev cars drive right into.

Stupid design - they just want to keep using the Golf body unchanged.

miimura said:
There are three common charge port locations that make sense and a fourth that is just stupid.

Front - Nissan Leaf, Kia Soul EV, A3 eTron
Driver's side front fender - Ford Energi, Focus Electric, BMW 330e, 530e, 740e, X5 PHEV, i8, Chevy Spark EV, Bolt EV, Volt, Volvo XC90-T8, Pacifica Hybrid, Cadillac ELR
Rear Fender - Tesla S&X, Toyota RAV4 EV, Prius Plug-In, Prius Prime, Mercedes B-Class, VW e-Golf, Fiat 500e, BMW i3, Porsche Cayenne e-Hybrid, Panamera e-Hybrid, Smart ED, Hyundai Ioniq Electric, Mitsubishi i-MiEV
l
Rear Bumper - Mercedes S550e, GLE550e, C350e

MB%20Bumper%20Plug_zpsdntl6xod.jpg

Let's keep it to BEV's only, not hybrids. Cars that are hybrids will have normal port used for a fuel tank, with the electric charge port added on as an afterthought.

JoulesThief said:
Let's keep it to BEV's only, not hybrids. Cars that are hybrids will have normal port used for a fuel tank, with the electric charge port added on as an afterthought.

That's why the i3 REx is such a head-scratcher though. Charger door is in the back, gas door in the front. Considering it's a fresh design, the owners have found this puzzling.

To change the topic, the VW Canada site indicated there will be updated colors

Pure White
Oryx White Pearl

Tungsten Silver Metallic
White Silver Metallic
Deep Black Pearl
Atlantic Blue Metallic
Indium Grey Metallic
Urano Grey
Peacock Green Metallic

With custom colors available, I assume for special order and additional cost

Harvest Moon Beige, Champagne Metallic, Terra Brown
Jazz Blue Pearl, Techno Blue Pearl, Inky Blue Pearl, Laser Blue Pearl, Prussian Blue Metallic, Azure Blue Pearl, Deep Blue Pearl, Sarantos 91 Blue, Ice Blue
Viper Green Metallic, Racing Green, Reseda Green, Cliff Green, Irish Green
Magma Orange, Copper Orange Metallic, TNT Orange
Violet Touch Pearl, Traffic Pearl, Dark Violet Purple
Mars Red, Bordeaux Red Pearl, Hot Chili Red Pearl, Raspberry Red
Ginster Yellow, Curry Yellow

johnnylingo said:
To change the topic, the VW Canada site indicated there will be updated colors

Pure White
Oryx White Pearl

Tungsten Silver Metallic
White Silver Metallic
Deep Black Pearl
Atlantic Blue Metallic
Indium Grey Metallic
Urano Grey
Peacock Green Metallic

With custom colors available, I assume for special order and additional cost

Harvest Moon Beige, Champagne Metallic, Terra Brown
Jazz Blue Pearl, Techno Blue Pearl, Inky Blue Pearl, Laser Blue Pearl, Prussian Blue Metallic, Azure Blue Pearl, Deep Blue Pearl, Sarantos 91 Blue, Ice Blue
Viper Green Metallic, Racing Green, Reseda Green, Cliff Green, Irish Green
Magma Orange, Copper Orange Metallic, TNT Orange
Violet Touch Pearl, Traffic Pearl, Dark Violet Purple
Mars Red, Bordeaux Red Pearl, Hot Chili Red Pearl, Raspberry Red
Ginster Yellow, Curry Yellow
3 Different Whites? Lol I guess it was their best seller.

Here's a short take on the 2017 e-Golf from InsideEVs.
http://insideevs.com/2017-volkswagen-e-golf-review-goes-a-lot-further-a-little-bit-faster/

Autoblog has posted their first drive in the 2017 e-Golf.
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/24/2017-volkswagen-e-golf-first-drive-review/?hcid=hp-tile-large
There are faster, sexier, more technologically advanced EVs out there with more range from automakers that don't have an emissions scandal underpinning all of their decision making. We're not sure there's an EV we'd rather have, though. The Volkswagen Golf is one of the best all-around cars on the planet today and swapping in an electric motor doesn't change that.

Back