2017 e-Golf arrived in dealerships in California

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marekv

I drive 2015 e-Golf SEL and I absolutely love my car. My 3 year lease ends in March 2018. In less than 6 months. Naturally I am thinking about getting another e-Golf, extra range, extra torque, extra horse power. I am obviously tempted by Tesla model 3 and Cheve Bolt but I really love my e-Golf so I was convinced I'm going to go for 2017 e-Golf SEL.

I had a chance to test drive it here in San Diego yesterday. I am sorry to say that but I was disappointed. I could not really feel extra horse power and touque maybe due to cheap stock tires but the most disappointing thing by far was new suspension set up. It's very soft and bouncy. I like my e-Golf because suspension is very stiff, I feel the road and the bumps, it's very quick to turn. Somehow I was underwhelmed after driving 2017. Anybody else drove it? Can you share your experience?

marekv said:
I had a chance to test drive it here in San Diego yesterday. I am sorry to say that but I was disappointed. I could not really feel extra horse power and touque maybe due to cheap stock tires but the most disappointing thing by far was new suspension set up. It's very soft and bouncy. I like my e-Golf because suspension is very stiff, I feel the road and the bumps, it's very quick to turn. Somehow I was underwhelmed after driving 2017. Anybody else drove it? Can you share your experience?

Thanks for posting. It concerns me that they changed the suspension setup as well.

Were you able to drive a SEL, or did they only have the other models? At one point, Car and Driver said that the SEL wouldn't be coming immediately.

marekv said:
I could not really feel extra horse power and torque maybe due to cheap stock tires but the most disappointing thing by far was new suspension set up. It's very soft and bouncy. I like my e-Golf because suspension is very stiff, I feel the road and the bumps, it's very quick to turn. Somehow I was underwhelmed after driving 2017. Anybody else drove it? Can you share your experience?

I suspect that your observations are due to:

1) VW historically underrating their powertrains and performance specs.
2) Additional weight of the 2017's. The published weight gain for the larger battery is 13 pounds, but there are likely other changes as well.
3) The additional weight necessitating a tweaking of the suspension.

Somebody asked what 2017 trim did I drive: it was the SEL. I didn't drive any other trims. All trims should be the same where it comes to horse power, torque, handling and suspension.

It's been a couple of days since I drove the 2017 and I feel even more disappointed to be honest with you. Maybe because my expectations were so high. I was thinking about getting out my 2015 lease early so I can get into new 2017, but now I'm almost thinking about buying my 2015 e-Golf and keeping it. It drives great especially after I put really nice Pirelli tires on the car about 4-5 months ago and had alignment done.

Really sounds like VW is just using e-Golf to wait out the clock until the ID concept hits in 2020. I'm still interested in upgrading to a 2017/2018 model when my lease is done, but only if I can get the cost similar to what I'm playing now. If they want $350-450/month (which sounds like they will), I'll look towards getting a used i3 and investing in a battery upgrade if required. Or the Bolt.

johnnylingo said:
Really sounds like VW is just using e-Golf to wait out the clock until the ID concept hits in 2020. I'm still interested in upgrading to a 2017/2018 model when my lease is done, but only if I can get the cost similar to what I'm playing now. If they want $350-450/month (which sounds like they will), I'll look towards getting a used i3 and investing in a battery upgrade if required. Or the Bolt.
Bolts right now are going cheap.
About $225 /month OTD.

johnnylingo said:
VW Group will still have to play their compliance game while waiting for the Audi e-Tron and ID to make it to the States. I'm sure dealers will initially want more for the 2017's, but supply and demand will catch up and I'm sure VW will be putting $ on the hood once again in the near future.

Nice to see the O.C. dealerships getting them, finally. I at least want to look at them first (and decide whether I like or don’t like that new green color and the Atlantic instead of Pacific Blue), though I think I’ll wait a while for more incentives to come down the pike, as miimura suggested, before actually deciding to get one. The dealers are probably in no mood to deal right now with discounts—but someday they will.

currentlydriving said:
Nice to see the O.C. dealerships getting them, finally. I at least want to look at them first (and decide whether I like or don’t like that new green color and the Atlantic instead of Pacific Blue), though I think I’ll wait a while for more incentives to come down the pike, as miimura suggested, before actually deciding to get one. The dealers are probably in no mood to deal right now with discounts—but someday they will.
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I'm looking at doing a purchase of a 2017 e-golf. I was considering a fully loaded SEL but my wife convinced me to go for the basic SE with DC quick charge option. There is an SEL on the floor at the Norm Reeves Irvine store.
This is actually a good time to buy one. The 2016 models have a 72 month 0% APR loan from VW. If you are qualified for it, VW is doing a $6,000 reduction on the price. But what was awesome was that there is a similar deal on the 2017. It is 60 months 0% APR with a $4,000 price reduction. There is also a $1,000 off on a sell down event going on right now that is reflected on the VW of Downtown LA website. I'm trying to confirm that is correct and if the two reductions can both be applied. If so, then getting the Federal rebate of $7,500 and the California state $2,500 rebates will drive the price down to MSRP $32,375 - $1,000 (sell-down) - $4,000 (Contract Bonus) - $7,500 (Federal Rebate) - $2,500 (CA State Rebate) = $17,375. That seems like a pretty decent price to me assuming it all works out.

Note the current sell down and contract bonus offers expire on October 2nd, 2017. They only offered the $4,000 off from Sept 16th to Oct 2nd so I'm having trouble contacting a salesperson who knows anything about it!

JCollett69 said:
currentlydriving said:
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I'm looking at doing a purchase of a 2017 e-golf. I was considering a fully loaded SEL but my wife convinced me to go for the basic SE with DC quick charge option. There is an SEL on the floor at the Norm Reeves Irvine store.
This is actually a good time to buy one. The 2016 models have a 72 month 0% APR loan from VW. If you are qualified for it, VW is doing a $6,000 reduction on the price. But what was awesome was that there is a similar deal on the 2017. It is 60 months 0% APR with a $4,000 price reduction. There is also a $1,000 off on a sell down event going on right now that is reflected on the VW of Downtown LA website. I'm trying to confirm that is correct and if the two reductions can both be applied. If so, then getting the Federal rebate of $7,500 and the California state $2,500 rebates will drive the price down to MSRP $32,375 - $1,000 (sell-down) - $4,000 (Contract Bonus) - $7,500 (Federal Rebate) - $2,500 (CA State Rebate) = $17,375. That seems like a pretty decent price to me assuming it all works out.

Note the current sell down and contract bonus offers expire on October 2nd, 2017. They only offered the $4,000 off from Sept 16th to Oct 2nd so I'm having trouble contacting a salesperson who knows anything about it!
You know that Norm Reeves doesn't have a 2016 right?

JCollett69 said:

Just FYI, the 0% and the $6,000 for the 2016's has been available since June. Since the 2017's have just started rolling into dealerships and they're already offering $4,000 off and 0%, it's safe to say that these discounts will be the norm. If you can get the $1,000 sell-down and negotiate (without any other offers) a lower price as well, then it may be worth it for you to buy. I would personally wait until funding for the $2500 CA state rebate is secured first, unless there were other local incentives that were about to expire.

forbin404 said:
You know that Norm Reeves doesn't have a 2016 right?

Yep, just wanted to mention the deal I had seen; finding 2016 model years new are more challenging.

2016golfse said:
JCollett69 said:

Just FYI, the 0% and the $6,000 for the 2016's has been available since June. Since the 2017's have just started rolling into dealerships and they're already offering $4,000 off and 0%, it's safe to say that these discounts will be the norm. If you can get the $1,000 sell-down and negotiate (without any other offers) a lower price as well, then it may be worth it for you to buy. I would personally wait until funding for the $2500 CA state rebate is secured first, unless there were other local incentives that were about to expire.

I'll keep that in mind as I still have a few months left on my Chevy Volt lease. It appears that the rebate amount could go higher that $2500. At least that is how I read the following article in the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-ev-rebate-bill-20170830-story.html

I did not want to miss a great cash rebate with good 0% APR. Guess I can hold off and if there is no good deal in the next couple of months, I'll just go with a Hyundai Ioniq subscription lease.

2016golfse said:
they're already offering $4,000 off and 0%, it's safe to say that these discounts will be the norm.

That's very good. When the 2016s first hit there was typically a $3-4k discount for the SELs with 2%, which I thought was a fair deal.

2016golfse said:
I would personally wait until funding for the $2500 CA state rebate is secured first, unless there were other local incentives that were about to expire.

Agreed. It's concerning we're coming to end of September and haven't seen it replenished.

Thanks for the input, everyone. As I cannot get a response from VW of Downtown LA regarding my questions, I guess they just lost a sale! :shock:

JCollett69 said:
I'll keep that in mind as I still have a few months left on my Chevy Volt lease. It appears that the rebate amount could go higher that $2500. At least that is how I read the following article in the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-ev-rebate-bill-20170830-story.html

I did not want to miss a great cash rebate with good 0% APR. Guess I can hold off and if there is no good deal in the next couple of months, I'll just go with a Hyundai Ioniq subscription lease.
That LA Times story is from the end of August. The legislative session ended in the middle of September and they actually passed AB-615 instead of AB-1184. AB-615 was a pretty straight forward extension of the CVRP program to 1/1/2019 plus some studies on the CVRP program. The Governor has until October 15th to sign it. The funding will presumably come from the State's Cap & Trade program, which was extended earlier in the Summer. I expect that the backlog of reserved rebates will begin to flow in December on a first come first served basis. I would not delay my lease or purchase based on the lack of the $2,500 state rebate any more. It's pretty much a done deal now.

Went for a spin in the new 2017 SE.

Honestly, except for the infotainment and changes to the steering wheel, it's my 2016SE.
I don't think the extra 50 mile range is going to convert me.

Back