U.S. site updated with 2017 e-Golf info; $279 SE lease deal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At long last, the U.S. VW site has been updated with the 2017 e-Golf details: http://www.vw.com/models/e-golf

The colors pretty much mirror the Canadian standard colors, except for “Great Falls Green Metallic,” which for all I know looks to be the same thing as “Peacock Green Metallic” on the Canadian site. Otherwise, we get the same Atlantic Blue, Urano Gray/Grey, Indium Gray/Grey, Deep Black Pearl, White Silver Metallic, and Pure White as the Canadians do, minus Tungsten Silver Metallic and Ruby Black, which appear to be standard colors on the Canadian cars.

The options appear to be the same ones that were mentioned in last week’s press release. You can download a PDF of the U.S. brochure here: http://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/brochures/2017/VWA-10730266_MY17_eGolf_Digital.pdf

The SE model has a $279 lease deal, according to carsdirect.com; however, the SEL lease appears to be a bit pricey—pricier than the Bolt, at $399 a month. :eek: Details here: https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articles/updated-2017-vw-e-golf-gets-279-month-lease-deal

currentlydriving said:
At long last, the U.S. VW site has been updated with the 2017 e-Golf details: http://www.vw.com/models/e-golf

The colors pretty much mirror the Canadian standard colors, except for “Great Falls Green Metallic,” which for all I know looks to be the same thing as “Peacock Green Metallic” on the Canadian site. Otherwise, we get the same Atlantic Blue, Urano Gray/Grey, Indium Gray/Grey, Deep Black Pearl, White Silver Metallic, and Pure White as the Canadians do, minus Tungsten Silver Metallic and Ruby Black, which appear to be standard colors on the Canadian cars.

The options appear to be the same ones that were mentioned in last week’s press release. You can download a PDF of the U.S. brochure here: http://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/brochures/2017/VWA-10730266_MY17_eGolf_Digital.pdf

The SE model has a $279 lease deal, according to carsdirect.com; however, the SEL lease appears to be a bit pricey—pricier than the Bolt, at $399 a month. :eek: Details here: https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articles/updated-2017-vw-e-golf-gets-279-month-lease-deal
Ugh with the bolt getting leased at about $225 right now....yuck.

Notable changes from 2016.
- Three trim levels - SE, LE, SEL
- Multi-function steering wheel and Cruise Control are standard on all trims
- 7.2kW AC on-board charger is standard on all trims
- LED tail lights are standard on all trims
- 8" touchscreen with AppConnect is standard on all trims

Feature Differences between Trims:
Headlights - Halogen on SE, LE - LED on SEL
Upholstery - Cloth on SE - V-Tex Leatherette on LE, SEL
Cabin Heat - Resistance heater on SE - Heat Pump on LE, SEL
Fast Charging - optional on SE (Fast Charge Package), included on LE, SEL
Park Distance Control - absent on SE - included on LE, SEL
Navigation - Nav through CarPlay & Android Auto on SE, LE - built-in navigation on SEL
SEL adds self-dimming rear-view mirror and ambient lighting.

MSRP Pricing:
SE: $30,495
LE: $33,795
SEL: $36,995

Option Packages:
DC Fast Charging Package (SE only): $995
- SAE Combo charge port

Driver Assistance Package (SEL only): $1,395 (Late Availability)
- Digital Cockpit
- Park Assist (Park Steering Assistant)
- Front Assist (Forward Collision Warning with Autonomous Emergency Braking and Pedestrian Detection)
- Active Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert
- Lane Assist (Lane Departure Warning)
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Light Assist (Active High Beam Control)

Destination charge is $820 for all trims.

Available Exterior Colors:
- Pure White
- White Silver Metallic
- Indium Gray Metallic
- Urano Gray
- Deep Black Pearl
- Great Falls Green Metallic
- Atlantic Blue Metallic

Available Interior Colors:
- Titan Black Cloth
- Shetland Beige V-Tex
- Titan Black V-Tex

It's interesting that they have eliminated the signature Pacific Blue color.

That's quite a lot more than the Canadian pricing...

A fully equipped with Leatherette is quoted $40,965 CAD =~$33,225 USD

We don't have SE, SEL etc.. We just have Base (35,995) + Tech Package (2305) + DAP (2305) + Leatherette (360)

The all come with DC Fast Charge, heat pump etc...

Thanks for comparing the various trim levels and options, miimura—that was very helpful. I wonder how the U.S. e-Golf will be perceived, value-wise, against similar competitors like the (almost nonexistent) Hyundai Ioniq EV and next year’s 2018 Nissan Leaf (not to mention the Bolt), given the increased pricing over last year’s model? Granted, the 2017 does have more range, so I can see VW wanting to increase the price to take that into account. But aside from those of us who are fans of VW, what would make the average EV buyer consider a 2017 e-Golf over the others, given that pricing?

currentlydriving said:
Thanks for comparing the various trim levels and options, miimura—that was very helpful. I wonder how the U.S. e-Golf will be perceived, value-wise, against similar competitors like the (almost nonexistent) Hyundai Ioniq EV and next year’s 2018 Nissan Leaf (not to mention the Bolt), given the increased pricing over last year’s model? Granted, the 2017 does have more range, so I can see VW wanting to increase the price to take that into account. But aside from those of us who are fans of VW, what would make the average EV buyer consider a 2017 e-Golf over the others, given that pricing?
The MSRP pricing is virtually the same as 2016. Given that VW has to move a certain number for the ZEV compliance, I expect the final costs to be similar on the 2017's. The promotional leases definitely include visible and hidden incentives. The top line on my lease was more than $6,000 off MSRP (18%) so there had to be some behind the scenes factory to dealer incentives at work.

If you are shopping an e-Golf this month or in October and the dealer is asking close to MSRP, just wait it out. The price will come down. People learned that the hard way on the 2015's when they were first introduced.

For those of us with a lease expiring within the next 6 months and still not sure what our next move will be (lease e-Golf or 2018 Leaf or buy Model 3, etc.), does anyone have experience extending a VW lease past 36 months? Is it allowed? What are the terms? Any additional charges?

Thanks!

What exactly can "Lane Assist (Lane Departure Warning)" do anyways?

Will it steer the car according to image recognition of the road ahead?

Or will it only buzz the steering wheel if it senses you're off course but will not turn the wheel for you?

myhui said:
What exactly can "Lane Assist (Lane Departure Warning)" do anyways?

Will it steer the car according to image recognition of the road ahead?

Or will it only buzz the steering wheel if it senses you're off course but will not turn the wheel for you?
This is what the VW.com site says:

"When moving, the available Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist) can sense if you start to drift into another lane without using the turn signal. On most models, Lane Assist will help steer to help keep you in the correct lane."

miimura said:
On most models, Lane Assist will help steer to help keep you in the correct lane."
OK, that is still vague ... as to whether it'll turn the steering wheel or not.

Here is a more detailed description: http://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/technology/helping-you-on-the-road/

Volkswagen’s available Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist) system has a forward-facing camera in the rear-view mirror that scans lane markings ahead. If it senses that you are drifting into another lane without using your turn signal, it will, within system limitations, gently countersteer. On the 2017 Touareg, the system will provide a warning vibration in the steering wheel if it senses you start to drift into another lane.

I want SAE driving automation Level 2: Execution of Steering and Acceleration/Deceleration is done by system, while Monitoring of Driving Environment is by human driver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_car

It seems like Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist) system does not fully qualify as SAE driving automation Level 2.

myhui said:
miimura said:
On most models, Lane Assist will help steer to help keep you in the correct lane."
OK, that is still vague ... as to whether it'll turn the steering wheel or not.

Here is a more detailed description: http://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/technology/helping-you-on-the-road/

Volkswagen’s available Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist) system has a forward-facing camera in the rear-view mirror that scans lane markings ahead. If it senses that you are drifting into another lane without using your turn signal, it will, within system limitations, gently countersteer. On the 2017 Touareg, the system will provide a warning vibration in the steering wheel if it senses you start to drift into another lane.

I want SAE driving automation Level 2: Execution of Steering and Acceleration/Deceleration is done by system, while Monitoring of Driving Environment is by human driver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_car

It seems like Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist) system does not fully qualify as SAE driving automation Level 2.
I think everyone is waiting to see how Tesla is handling their version.

They just won the court case from last year where the guy was using Autopilot and was watching a movie (that part was rumor) and hit the semi broadsides.

OMG Bolt Leases are down to $145 /month plus TTL.....

I guess Chevy has decided to pass the $7500 back to consumers.

http://www.quirkchevy.com/new-vehicles/chevy-lease-and-finance-offers-near-boston-ma/

forbin404 said:
OMG Bolt Leases are down to $145 /month plus TTL.....

In the NorthEast, there they've now got excess inventory of a car nobody wants. This is a good indication the 2017/2018 e-Golf probably won't be sold nationwide, despite VW early claiming it would.

Different story in the Bay Area where I'm seeing more and more on the road each day it seems. The lease deals here are discounting almost nothing off MSRP and coming out to $300-400/mo when all taxes and fees are averaged out.

Does anyone have any information on when the 2017 models with Driver Assist will become available in the US? I'm seeing models in every trim start to show up at dealers in my area, but none with Driver Assist.

sk8uno said:
Does anyone have any information on when the 2017 models with Driver Assist will become available in the US? I'm seeing models in every trim start to show up at dealers in my area, but none with Driver Assist.
There are none as VW just 'decides' to roll out the model without any fanfare.

sk8uno said:
if you go to VW of America's website, it will tell you "late introduction". That means by March, April or May of 2018, you might see them on e-Golf SEL's.

Who knows when the DAP will show up in the U.S.; Joules may very well be right, although those models could very well arrive sooner. For instance, Canada started selling the 2017 e-Golf in June, and models with DAP just started showing up at dealers up there this month. (Wolfsburg only started making the DAP package in July, so that explains why we’re not seeing it in early cars release in the U.S. Or Canada, since these early cars have allegedly been in storage at the port since April). I'm interested in the Driver’s Assistance Package, too, so I'm keeping an eye out for them also... :)

If you just leave it up to VW to trickle out cars with the DAP, you will have to wait a while. If you work with a dealer to get one for you, they may be able to pull one from the port inventory quicker for you. However, they will certainly want some extra profit for the effort.

miimura said:
- Light Assist (Active High Beam Control)

Wonder if the US versions will get adaptive headlights too. Looks like they're starting to copy over that feature from the Porches now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqqws2Xde7Y

As someone who has a very twisty commute, those would be very nice to have

Back