Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: VW sales chief confirms demise of the e-Golf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:53 pm 

Sparklebeard wrote:
JoulesThief wrote:
125 miles range would be helpful around urban areas in Southern CA, not so much rural areas. .

Oh I see, in the context of the current e-Golf then yes, there's not enough jump in range to be worth it in that regard. My understanding was that we were comparing the e-Golf against the ID line which is supposed to be offered in up to ~300mi rated configuration.

With 125kW fast charging and Tesla-esque range I think the ID3 could definitely tick all the boxes for me.

Out of curiosity I plugged a route into evtripplanner from Los Angeles to Owen's Valley, gave it a speed multiplier of 1.2, 1000lb payload to account for passengers/luggage/more and set it to Nissan Leaf Beta and got a calculation of 74kWH

If that's more or less accurate, then a 60kWh ID3 should be a breeze for a trip like that. A 36kWh eGolf would indeed be unsuitable!

Nice analysis there Sparklebeard. In that respect, for that particular trip, it indeed does come up a little short.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:30 am 

manybees wrote:
JoulesThief wrote:
What do you find as limitations, for you?

- Poorly designed mobile app and in-car software for charging schedules
- Limited functionality of mobile app and in-car software (esp. wrt charging, battery health, and usage data)
- No over-the-air software upgrades
- Exorbitant pricing of Car-Net subscription beyond trial period (esp. given the minimal services it provides)
- No active cooling of battery limits back-to-back fast-charging for road trips
- Poorly designed console buttons — On/off button is too close to the Mode button
- Limited battery range for road trips
- Limited charging rate
- Poorly designed charging receptacle (can't turn off auto-locking, no manual unlock for stuck charging door or stuck nozzle, no built-in light for plugging in in the dark, no reminder on the dash when you've left the charging door open)
- Only one USB port. Needs more — preferably added to the back seat area.
- Only partial power seat adjustments
- Low quality backup cam and guidance overlays
- No heated back seats
- No heated steering wheel
- No %SOC indicator on dashboard
- No nav options to plan a trip with charger recommendations along the route (see Tesla for a good example of how to do it)
- No time travel

Not to say I don't like the car. I love it, actually, and knew what I was getting into when I bought the car. But I find these large and small things maddening in varying degrees because the car could be so much better than it already is.

Yep, pretty much everything this guy said...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:07 pm 

manybees wrote:
JoulesThief wrote:
What do you find as limitations, for you?

- No time travel

Not to say I don't like the car. I love it, actually, and knew what I was getting into when I bought the car. But I find these large and small things maddening in varying degrees because the car could be so much better than it already is.

I had this issue with my renault Zoe (it could only do 88 mph tops, usually 87.9....) so no dice.

VW goes over it, but I guess the value to hit is higher now.