2017 e-Golf soldiers on "largely unchanged" according to VW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VW of America issued a press release this past Thursday, June 23rd, outlining the changes for the 2017 model year. Most of the models received some changes, such as the introduction of the Golf Alltrack and the deletion of the slow-selling Jetta Hybrid (too bad, I liked that model). And here’s what they said about the e-Golf:

“The e-Golf is carried over largely unchanged from the 2016 model.”

On the surface that would appear to suggest that they’re not changing anything at all for 2017, and that the new 35.8 kWh battery will have to wait for the 2018 model year. That may be true, but “largely unchanged” could mean that they make some minor changes but those changes have not yet been decided at this point in time, and we may know more as the year progresses.

It would appear that production of the new version will start in December, which leads me to think that we will see this bigger-battery e-Golf début as a 2018 model (VW can legally begin selling 2018 models after Jan. 1, 2017). Now, will we see it in the U.S. in January? February? March? Who knows? But if VW says that the 2017 e-Golf isn’t going to change much, then I don’t think we’ll see it come over here in December.

I was hoping to replace my old ICE vehicle with an e-Golf this year, but now I think I’ll be waiting until early next year for the upgraded model. (That being said, if my old ICE car died, I’d have no problem picking up a 2016 or a 2017—but since I don’t have an e-Golf at the moment, I don’t mind waiting.) :)

Given that press release, I would tend to agree with you, and the new "300 km" eGolf we've been promised won't come out until MY 2018. However there is a possibility we can get the new and improved version by Spring 2017; the 2014 Leaf is an abbreviated model year, and the 2015 model with a supposedly more heat-tolerant battery was released to the public IIRC by summer 2014.

Bummer. I really like the eGolf package, but I don't need another sub-150 mile BEV. My 2012 Leaf will work for me for a long time to come.

I was secretly hoping that the 2017 eGolf would have the 35.8kWh battery, and maybe VW would be looking to catch up with the ~60kWh-crowd (Bolt, Leaf 2, Model III) within a year or two. For me, the 30-50kWh battery BEVs would only work with a much better charging network. But the 60kWh cars will be here before then (and possibly driving infrastructure growth).

I really hope that VW continues to keep the eGolf relevant. It is a nice package, but it is about to be slaughtered by much higher-spec cars.

GetOffYourGas said:
Bummer. I really like the eGolf package, but I don't need another sub-150 mile BEV. My 2012 Leaf will work for me for a long time to come.

I was secretly hoping that the 2017 eGolf would have the 35.8kWh battery, and maybe VW would be looking to catch up with the ~60kWh-crowd (Bolt, Leaf 2, Model III) within a year or two. For me, the 30-50kWh battery BEVs would only work with a much better charging network. But the 60kWh cars will be here before then (and possibly driving infrastructure growth).

I really hope that VW continues to keep the eGolf relevant. It is a nice package, but it is about to be slaughtered by much higher-spec cars.

BMW and the Nissan Leaf, to name a few. And when the Tesla 3 gets here... we'll just have to speculate. But a 35.8 kwh battery isn't going to be enough, too little, too late.

JoulesThief said:
BMW and the Nissan Leaf, to name a few. And when the Tesla 3 gets here... we'll just have to speculate. But a 35.6 kwh battery isn't going to be enough, too little, too late.

Agreed. There's no way I'd go with a 2016 or 2017 e-Golf SEL when for the same price something with 50% greater range can be had.

I do still think the e-Golf SE has its market as a simple commuter car. At $29k, it's a more appealing option than the base Leaf or Focus.

I'm pretty sure that's the 2018 MY we're talking about. I also think this updated eGolf will be the last "Golf" EV. VW won't give us a 200+ mile BEV until at least 2020, which is when everyone else is projecting they'll have one ready, too.

The next logical step, IMHO is VW with the next generation Golf chassis on a skateboard type chassis designed for electric cars, with a 50 to 60 kwh liquid cooled 800V battery pack, that assures 200 + miles of range between recharges, at 80% remaining life of battery, or 10 years.

bizzle said:
I'm pretty sure that's the 2018 MY we're talking about. I also think this updated eGolf will be the last "Golf" EV. VW won't give us a 200+ mile BEV until at least 2020, which is when everyone else is projecting they'll have one ready, too.

Correct, and this is confirmed by VW. 2018 model will get the 50% increase, and will hit the lots mid-2017. I had started a fresh thread for 2019-2020 model, which VW has not firmly committed to.

Adding to the confusion is VW has started using language about having "up to" 186 mile range for the 2018. This is of course best case scenario assuming ~6 miles/kWh. EPA range will be more like 130.

The main problem with the range figures is that VW is a German company and they use the NEDC test cycle over there. EPA range is usually about 70% of NEDC. So, 186 to 130 is right on.

johnnylingo said:
bizzle said:

Correct, and this is confirmed by VW. 2018 model will get the 50% increase, and will hit the lots mid-2017. I had started a fresh thread for 2019-2020 model, which VW has not firmly committed to.

Adding to the confusion is VW has started using language about having "up to" 186 mile range for the 2018. This is of course best case scenario assuming ~6 miles/kWh. EPA range will be more like 130.

186 to 130, by the time it becomes available, would be very, very practical for my uses, in SEL configuration.

JoulesThief said:
johnnylingo said:
bizzle said:

186 to 130, by the time it becomes available, would be very, very practical for my uses, in SEL configuration.

It would work great for you. It would work great for me. But a 130 mile practical range would be woefully inadequate against the Chevy Bolt which is supposed to start shipping before the end of this year, and not all that impressive compared to the Nissan Leaf (which is rumored to get at least as much of a range upgrade around the same time) or even the redesigned Focus Electric.

If VW wants to turn to BEV/PHEV as redemption for lying to the public about diesel emissions, it needs to do better than this.

RonDawg said:
a 130 mile practical range would be woefully inadequate against the Chevy Bolt which is supposed to start shipping before the end of this year

In an Apples to Apples comparison of the SEL vs Bolt I agree it's hard to make the case for the SEL. You're paying the same price for half the range.

But the SE will be $7000 less, and for me the 130 mile range is a big deal. Currently, if I drive to SF I have to stop and charge for 7 hours in the city, then do an additional 2 hour top-off charge in Los Gatos to get home. It's just not worth it, and I take the Subaru. But with 130 miles I just do the 2 hour charge anywhere along the way and that's it. In other words, the e-Golf would go from 70% of my driving to 90%.

GM can also do the same thing and later come up with a lower-priced model with fewer features, possibly a smaller battery, to help push sales once the initial pent-up demand is fulfilled. Nissan did this (the base model Leaf S) 2 years after the first cars were delivered, and GM later lowered the price of the Spark EV though IIRC it kept the equipment level the same.

VW didn't introduce the somewhat de-contented (though not as much as the 2016 SE) lower-priced eGolf LE for months after initial release, and even then didn't bring that many over here. It was mainly to get you into the showroom.

RonDawg said:
GM can also do the same thing and later come up with a lower-priced model with fewer features, possibly a smaller battery, to help push sales once the initial pent-up demand is fulfilled. Nissan did this (the base model Leaf S) 2 years after the first cars were delivered, and GM later lowered the price of the Spark EV though IIRC it kept the equipment level the same.

VW didn't introduce the somewhat de-contented (though not as much as the 2016 SE) lower-priced eGolf LE for months after initial release, and even then didn't bring that many over here. It was mainly to get you into the showroom.

With the price of lithium ion cells dropping, it's my guess VW is going to have to do something to get price competitive, with a limited range BEV car. I anticipate a less expensive MSRP, the rate battery costs keep dropping per kwh.

Today, at this time, 1 year ago, exactly, to the hour, I was signing the paperwork for my brand new 2015 SEL. After getting the 72F HVAC straightened out, and the software update for ebraking and stopping the stalling under rare circumstances, my e-Golf has been a huge surprise and an enjoyable period of ownership. I never thought i would enjoy it as much as I have. It's a very cool golf cart.

garage door opener in the egolf ? just wondering , my 2017 does not list it as equipment , and one would think it is destined for interior charging at home ....

Kosta said:
garage door opener in the egolf ? just wondering , my 2017 does not list it as equipment , and one would think it is destined for interior charging at home ....
I wish it came with one.
Maybe it isn't popular in Europe?

forbin404 said:
Kosta said:
I wish it came with one.

perhaps ... a visor clip remote lacks the cutting edge cool the car should be overflowing with ... may need to custom fit a motorcycle button and hide the transmitter in a storage spot

Kosta said:
forbin404 said:
Kosta said:
I wish it came with one.

perhaps ... a visor clip remote lacks the cutting edge cool the car should be overflowing with ... may need to custom fit a motorcycle button and hide the transmitter in a storage spot
I could use a flash-2-pass which works quite well, just was disappointed that it isn't an included feature. (And yes the cost of the car would go up about $300)

Kosta said:

Whole thread on replacing the stock mirror with a genuine VW OEM mirror that has Homelink built-in over on the 'tex (VWVortex, for the unitiated.)

I think it would work for our cars, but haven't seen a confirmed replacement - the linked thread is in the Golf VII R forum.

Back