WhatCar compares e-Golf and BMW i3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchell

Verdict
These are two of the best electric cars on sale today. The i3 continues to wow with its superb cabin, while its strong performance and real-world range also give it plenty of appeal.

The e-Golf wins, though. It might be slightly more expensive to own, but it’s considerably more practical, has a more comfortable ride, is better to drive and comes with more standard equipment. Considering all that, we think it’s just worth the extra.

Their overall review covers points they are 'for' and 'against' for each vehicle:
Volkswagen e-Golf
For Great to drive; well equipped; spacious inside
Against Ride isn’t as good as standard Golf’s; not as quick as the i3
Verdict The most convincing electric car yet

BMW i3
For Impressive performance; stunning cabin; brilliant infotainment system
Against Choppy ride; nervous handling; small boot
Verdict Hugely desirable, but the e-Golf makes more sense

Full article here: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/bmw/i3-hatchback/bmw-i3-vs-volkswagen-e-golf/1327121

>> It might be slightly more expensive to own>>>
I haven't done a UK comparison, but here in the US, the e-golf is $9600 MSRP cheaper than the i3. I did a post a while back on this

Ron

When comparing the 36,365 MSRP (incl 820 shipping) to the competition, you have to "normalize" for the fact that the US e-Golf is the loaded SEL model and includes many tangible and intangible features. Here's what I did for "normalizing" the BMW i3

i3 MSRP 42,400 MSRP Mega World (includes 950 shipping)
CCS charging 700
Heated seats 350
Parking Assist 1000
Sub Total 43,450 * 1.08 tax = 46,925 versus 36,365 e-Golf MSRP * 1.08 =39,275
Net Difference 7650

Unpriced Golf things estimated value:
Partial power seats 500
Leatherette seats 1000
SIRI radio 300
Total 45,250 * 1.08 = 48,875 versus 39,275
Final net difference 9600

Additional qualitative +: 40% more cargo space, can see some of the hood, 2 full rear doors with electric windows, 5 passengers vs 4, more traditional look, 100 mile towing guarantee, 4 levels of braking regen vs one on the i3, display in dashboard rather on top of dash

Possible minus: Battery not cooled, not as peppy, too conventional looking for some, not aluminum frame/carbon body, no REX option (but this option is 3750 and has a weight/range penalty and you lose the heat pump}

One would have to do a similar normalization vs the Leaf, Fusion, MB B class, etc to really have all the factors for a buy decision

Back