Winding Road videos of e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
InsideEVs.com posts 3 YouTube videos by Winding Road.

I found it interesting to feel almost as if I was driving my own car, but what really struck me were:
1st video (I was able to embed this one, but the rest had to be links.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsPW0-F9FKY
  • @3:13 - Avg. consumption = 16.8mpkwh, then Consumption = 15.9mpkwh -- while driving 70mph with the power needle at 2 -- I don't think so!

2nd video (Walkaround)
  • @3:30 - Car info screens, showing 14.1mpkwh Extended avg. consumption over 331 miles.
3rd video (night drive):
  • @5:50 - Changes to Eco+ mode at 65 mph, then a bit later accelerates to 70. Eco+ is supposed to limit speed to 55-60. After duplicating the sequence in my car, I surmise that the limit doesn't kick in until speed drops below the governed max.
  • @6:50 to 7:08 - "Since Start" energy consumption is 17.4mpkwh even though the car apparently dropped range from 99-101 miles at start to 88 in that time, only driving 5 miles (assuming linear events in the video.) Also the battery seems to have lost over 5% which is at least 1kwh, so he should have gone 17.4+ miles with the calculated consumption.

Seems to me this car's calculation of energy consumption is way out of whack.

Some people commented on InsideEVs and YouTube that the car was really loud. I didn't find it excessively so, except thumping that I took to be expansion joints, which also affected the smoothness of the ride (i.e. camera jouncing.) It certainly didn't seem any louder on average than the Cadillac ATS-V they drove in another test (discounting the Caddy's acceleration runs which were obviously much noisier.)

08.11.2015 Edit: Noticed I'd said Eco, rather than Eco+, for last, night video @5:50 comment

Isn't that instant fuel consumption? If you are driving downhill or slowing down, the numbers aren't that surprising. People inevitably let the foot off the paddle a little bit when operating the buttons.

I think there is something weird about the left needle shaking. Then spiking the speed beyond the blue seems a waste, unless going up hill only to regen downhill. I wonder about altered system or after effects video.

Damn, 14 m/kWh... I saw 5 m/kWh max in my car... How did they drive? I definitely do something wrong, went to read manual...

I've never gotten that clock display in the infotainment screen. Not that I've looked hard for it, though.

jack8trades said:
Unbeliever said:
I've never gotten that clock display in the infotainment screen. Not that I've looked hard for it, though.
Turn off the infotainment system by pushing the volume knob.

I drive around on a regular basis with the infotainment off, and haven't seen it......

Until today.

I poked around the menus and found the menu setting that enabled it. It was delivered to me with it disabled.

Back