Buy 2017 e-Golf now or buy it after 2018 model comes out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cars.com today shows 4 left in the US. Meanwhile, in Europe, VW is selling a LOT of e-Golfs (and this is only in Norway - I bet there are plenty of sales in other countries):

https://pushevs.com/2018/06/20/nissan-leaf-and-volkswagen-e-golf-head-to-head-in-norway/

I don't think VW ever sold 600 e-Golfs in a month in the US. Clearly, VW can manufacture a lot of e-Golfs and wants to sell the e-Golf, just not in the US. This suggests to me that they sold enough 2017 model year cars to get their ZEV credits. Of course, they need ZEV credits in 2018 as well, unless they can carry over some from the past (I'm not clear on the details of ZEV credit accumulation, etc.). While I'm happy with 125 miles via the 37 amp-hr cells, I believe VW could easily swap in the Samsung SDI 50 amp-hr cells and increase usable capacity to around 44 kWh, with a range of about 180 miles. I wonder if that capacity would require active cooling?

Has anyone seen the 2018 e-Golf at dealers yet? In the Bay Area, a few 2017s are still on dealer lots (less than half a dozen as far as I could see). And related, what is VW's strategy in choking off supply when competitors are pushing their models? Is VW giving up on the U.S. until 2020 when the ID cars will become available (supposedly)?

Don't worry about 2018 e-Golfs at dealers. Do you see mention of a 2018 e-Golf from VW? I certainly haven't.

I believe VW sold just enough e-Golfs to meet the compliance requirements and it is now focusing its EV efforts on the new MEB platform vehicles. I'm beginning to think there may not be a 2018 e-Golf, or if there is one, it will be almost exactly the same as the 2017 model. If VW will sell the ID Crozz in late 2019, then there is probably no need for them to make an e-Golf sized car, as US drivers seem interested primarily in SUVs.

VW Canada's website does mention a 2018 eGolf: https://www.vwmodels.ca/2018/egolf/ But definitely no mention from VWoA. I guess if you really wanted one, you could always import one from Canada. AFAIK the only difference is the metric speedometer.

The VW Canada website says there is a 12-18 month wait for a 2018 e-Golf, so there is nothing to import. Is a 2018 e-Golf really going to be available in January 2020? It seems a bit unlikely. I suspect Canadians won't see any more e-Golfs on sale than Americans.

Putting this all together and not finding any more new e-Golf inventory on cars.com, is this the end of the e-Golf in the U.S.? Communication from VW on this matter is difficult to find at best. One article in Green Car Reports mentioned availability starting in September again (assuming 2018), but VW has had a history to deliver e-Golfs late or not at all. With a lease coming up and no apparent path to trading in/up for another e-Golf, I'll move on to another car maker. VW really does not seem to care about its early adopter generation, small as it is.

egolfnorcal said:
Putting this all together and not finding any more new e-Golf inventory on cars.com, is this the end of the e-Golf in the U.S.? Communication from VW on this matter is difficult to find at best. One article in Green Car Reports mentioned availability starting in September again (assuming 2018), but VW has had a history to deliver e-Golfs late or not at all. With a lease coming up and no apparent path to trading in/up for another e-Golf, I'll move on to another car maker. VW really does not seem to care about its early adopter generation, small as it is.
My neighbor that leased a 2015 e-Golf around the same time we did went a different way than us. He had a Model 3 reservation, but decided to lease a Bolt EV instead. They like it. Passing on the Model 3 that has no lease available allowed them to upgrade their BMW X3 that was about to go out of warranty (and already had expensive covered repairs) to a Acura RDX. They were not ready to go all electric.

I bought a new old-stock 2017 SE in July. Info from all sources I know of is that there will be no 2018 USA e-Golf. However, I got 0% financing and deep discounts in addition to NY state rebate and upcoming US federal Income tax credit. Purchasing the 6 year extension of the warranty was annoying, but seemed a good idea. My county (Ulster, NY, USA) has FREE chargepoint AC chargers and one is an easy 2 block walk from my house. I now have 2500 miles completely free of charge. I have driven a 140 mile trip, but limped home in 90 degree heat with a halted air conditioner due to only 15 miles left on the dash meter. I do NOT have a DC fast charger. I am installing a home version of the chargepoint 40a 240v AC charger like the free ones. It will be hardwired because I have no garage and it will basically sit in an open micro-shed above the snow line. I tried using the included 110v charger and thought that it would be perhaps useful. ...10 hours to add 40 miles? My work commute is 44 miles round-trip.

Hedwig said:
Purchasing the 6 year extension of the warranty was annoying, but seemed a good idea.

FYI if you feel you don't need the warranty, you can always apply for a pro-rated refund, at least if it's the VW "DriveEasy" warranties.

I did purchase the lease end warranty but was told by 2 people at the dealer i cant cancel it . is that true? i looked on their website and it says that it can be prorated.

The dealer does not need to be involved. Go direct to the VW entity that actually administers the plan. They will handle the prorated refund.

miimura said:
The dealer does not need to be involved. Go direct to the VW entity that actually administers the plan. They will handle the prorated refund.

Unfortunately, VW Drive Easy (which is a separate entity from VWoA's main customer service line) will try to tell you to go back to the dealer to get it sorted. I know, because they also administer VW Credit's GAP insurance program; I wanted it removed because I refinanced my car with my work's credit union after I bought out the lease and had the recertification done. VW DriveEasy only relented after considerable browbeating.

BomBoi (and anybody else interested): PM me with your email address and I'll send you the form to send back to VW Drive Easy for your refund. I'd also contact VWoA and tell them how the dealer lied to you about the warranty not being cancelable.

Back