The 2019's are now out and for sale.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Showing up on dealership show floors now, the 2019 models. I haven't looked at them yet, has anyone done a comparison on changes since the 2018 models?

JoulesThief said:
Showing up on dealership show floors now, the 2019 models. I haven't looked at them yet, has anyone done a comparison on changes since the 2018 models?
Inventory started showing up on dealer lots in December 2018 with no official release from VW America corporate. The press kit linked below was released on January 2, 2019.

Here are the highlights for the SE and SEL Premium trims for the 2019 model year.
SE:
* Standard DC Fast Charge and 7.2kW AC charger
* 8" MIB II Infotainment screen
* Driver Assistance Package is available for $650

SEL Premium:
* Digital Cockpit is included
* Driver Assistance is included
* 9.2" MIB II Infotainment screen
Other features and packages are the same as 2017 and 2018. One thing worth noting is that the Driver Assistance suite is more complete on the SEL than the SE + Driver Assist. Park Pilot, Park Assist, and Lane Assist are only available on the SEL Premium. As always, key features like Leatherette interior, LED headlights, and the heat pump are only available on the SEL Premium trim.

https://media.vw.com/en-us/press-kits/2019-e-golf-press-kit

Any one recently bought a 2019 in norcal? How much do you have to pay for it?
I am deciding whether to buy out a 2016 SE or get a new lease for a 2019.
TIA.

miimura said:
One thing worth noting is that the Driver Assistance suite is more complete on the SEL than the SE + Driver Assist. Park Pilot, Park Assist, and Lane Assist are only available on the SEL Premium.

Yep the Driver Assistance package for the SE is emergency collision detection/stopping, blind spot monitoring (not to be confused with Lane assist), and adaptive cruise. SEL also has "Light Assist" (High beam control). I have window stickers for both an SE w/ DAP and SEL which help verify this: https://spaces.hightail.com/space/yZm8Z/files

TwoCarsAWeek said:
Any one recently bought a 2019 in norcal? How much do you have to pay for it?

Did do a basic price quote in Santa Cruz on an SE and they were going $1000 off MSRP without much wiggle. I haven't seen any dealer specials listed anywhere. Lease offers for an SE run about $3300 down + $239/mo for 36 month with only 7500 miles a year. Been tracking inventories the last couple months and they don't seem to be moving in high quantities. Maybe they'll be more incentivized to deal as we get in to spring and summer.

The reality is there's much longer range EVs at roughly the same price point, such as the Bolt and now Hyundai Kona. Also, phasing out the white/green stickers has done little to improve traffic conditions in the HOV lanes, at least here. I may trade in my 2016 SE for a 2019 at some point because getting to San Francisco and back with only one charging stop would sure be nice, but it has to be for a great deal and I haven't found it yet.

Its not NoCal but I got a 2019 for $5k off in Washington. They advertised $3k off.

Also, not NorCal, but I see 2019 SE and SELs listed on a MA dealer website with a $4200 "dealer discount."

tbier said:
Its not NoCal but I got a 2019 for $5k off in Washington. They advertised $3k off.
Hi, I'm in WA too. I'm trying to find a lease deal where they credit the $7500 tax rebate to me instead of keeping it. Did you lease or buy?
Thanks!

eGolfr said:
I'm trying to find a lease deal where they credit the $7500 tax rebate to me instead of keeping it.

Um, all the leases should be written that way. Basically, it's the leasing company (VW Credit in this case) taking the tax credit. However, in some states such as California, you'll be responsible for sales tax on the $7500. It's sort of the tradeoff vs. not having to wait a year to get the credit back via tax refund.

Just quoted a 2019 SEL in Seattle, $4,500 off ($4K plus 500 VW partner program).

If they ever bring it to CA, and I can fit in it, I'd be interested.... New Honda, soon, urban vehicle, 125 mile range. https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/honda/e-electric-ev/

That thing looks like an e-Golf mated with a mini cooper. 125 mile range is uninspiring, and "80% in 30 minutes" means the DCFC is 50 kW.

I'd wait for the Neo, and get over 300 miles range with 150 kW fast charging. 2020 isn't that far away.

johnnylingo said:
That thing looks like an e-Golf mated with a mini cooper. 125 mile range is uninspiring, and "80% in 30 minutes" means the DCFC is 50 kW.

I'd wait for the Neo, and get over 300 miles range with 150 kW fast charging. 2020 isn't that far away.

That doesn't fit my mission. Have TDI's for that, and the savings more than pay for added cost per mile, for fuel. I will probably never get a deal on a new e-Golf like I did on my 2015 SEL for $26,200 before the CA and Fed tax credit. Plus, not sure how much longer I even want to live in CA. NV is not too electric friendly with the long distances needed to be driven.

JoulesThief said:
johnnylingo said:

That doesn't fit my mission. Have TDI's for that, and the savings more than pay for added cost per mile, for fuel. I will probably never get a deal on a new e-Golf like I did on my 2015 SEL for $26,200 before the CA and Fed tax credit. Plus, not sure how much longer I even want to live in CA. NV is not too electric friendly with the long distances needed to be driven.

Being retired, is the added 40 miles going to make a huge difference, particularly if you have an ICEV for when your 2015 eGolf is insufficient?

That’s why I ended up buying out mine. The residual was less than what dealers seem to be asking for an equivalent, plus it meets over 90% of my driving needs, and for that remaining 10% I have the Alltrack.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:
johnnylingo said:

Being retired, is the added 40 miles going to make a huge difference, particularly if you have an ICEV for when your 2015 eGolf is insufficient?

That’s why I ended up buying out mine. The residual was less than what dealers seem to be asking for an equivalent, plus it meets over 90% of my driving needs, and for that remaining 10% I have the Alltrack.

Just watched the 11 o'clock news... and the $35,000 Tesla 3 model is here, starting at 2 pm, March 1st. I think VW is going to have to do something drastic price drop wise to sell e-Golf SEL's, because $38 to 39,000 MSRP isn't going to move them when a Model 3 is 3 to $4000 less, with more range.

OOOps, just opened up my email, and at 11:00 PM, Tesla sent me an offer.... 220 miles range. VW's range.... 125 miles. Wow!

JoulesThief said:
and the $35,000 Tesla 3 model is here, starting at 2 pm, March 1st.

Yeah, but bump that to closer to $40k when adding basic interior upgrades like power seats and any color other than black. Plus Tesla only gets $3750 vs. the usual $7500 of the federal tax credit. GM will be joining them in April. The Leaf e-Plus and Hyundai Kona can compete with that range and price point (after federal credit). That being said.....none of them can access Tesla's superchargers. After my experiences trying to take a road trip in the i3 and encountering three broken ChargePoint DCFCs, I'm convinced it'll be a while before the speeds and availability of CCS/SAE chargers come close to matching Tesla's availability.

To your point on the SELs, I agree with that. Can remember a few folks here reported getting 2017/2018s for only a couple grand over what they would have paid for an SE, thanks to to extremely low demand for them. Wouldn't be surprised if history repeats itself on the 2019s.

Back