Lease e_Golf 2016 or wait for 2017 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aks

Looking to lease e-Golf 2016 in South Bay area but not sure about.

To be more specific, here area few questions:
* lease 2016 model or wait until 2017 hits the stands?
* what are the main upgrades in 2017 eGolf (in particular mileage) as compared to 2016?
* can we charge 2016 eGolf at home using an usual 110V power outlet (if yes, then how long does it usually take to full charge) ?
* seems like no sunroof (can we customize at an additional cost or not possible)
* any specific reasons/personal insights to favor SEL over SE (beyond what is mentioned in the website)

Let me know what folks think !!

- 84 mile EPA range
- SE has no cruise control at all - not obvious from VW site
- Charging with the provided 120V charging cord takes 18 hours or more from empty. If you drive about 40 miles it can be recharged overnight.
- There is no sunroof available from VW and cutting one in aftermarket is not a good idea.
- Watch out for the SE without the Fast Charge Package. It does not have DCFC and the AC on-board charger is only 3.6kW. Driving that car beyond the single charge range is painful. If it's purely a commuter car, then it can work for you.

- 125 mile EPA range
- pricing, packages and availability have not been released by VW America.
- charging with the provided 120V cord will probably take nearly 30 hours from empty.
- all versions of the car will have the 7.2kW on-board charger, but base model may not have DC Fast Charge.

My opinion:
If you routinely drive 50 miles or more per day, wait for the 2017 or look at other options like the Ioniq Electric or Bolt EV. If your normal commute is less than that and you have another car for longer trips, then consider negotiating a good price on a 2016 e-Golf.

That's very detailed and useful info miimura.

Any thoughts on SE vs SEL?
- obvious benefits of one versus the other?
- obvious pitfalls that I should be aware of?

Thanks again for the wonderful reply.

SE
- Cloth Upholstery
- Halogen Headlights
- Resistive Cabin Heater (energy hog)
- Rubbery-looking plain steering wheel
- 6.5" Infotainment Screen w/ AppConnect
- Standard 3.6kW on-board charger (no CCS fast charge inlet)
- Optional DC Fast Charge Package (7.2kW charger & CCS inlet) $1,675

SEL
- Leatherette Upholstery
- LED headlights
- Heat Pump Cabin Heater (energy efficient)
- Nice Steering wheel controls
- Cruise Control
- Park Pilot sensors
- 8" Infotainment Screen w/ AppConnect and built-in Navigation
- 7.2kW charger and CCS fast charge inlet
- Rarely available Driver Assistance Package ($395) with Front Assist (FCW & AEB) and Park Steering Assistant

That's off the top of my head. I may have missed something.

Also, rumor has it that the 2017's are sitting in storage at the port while VW America waits for the 2016 inventory to clear. The current nationwide inventory showing at Cars.com (204 units) is less than the May 2017 sales (381 units), so they could be coming very soon.

Useful rumor :)

But does that mean that dealers are under pressure to clear 2016 lot and one might get a very good deal?
Or
Alternatively, when 2017 arrives, dealers might give very good deals on them as well?

What do you think !!

aks said:
Useful rumor :)

But does that mean that dealers are under pressure to clear 2016 lot and one might get a very good deal?
Or
Alternatively, when 2017 arrives, dealers might give very good deals on them as well?

What do you think !!
Dealer's won't give a good deal on a new model for a least 6 months.

miimura said:
Also, rumor has it that the 2017's are sitting in storage at the port while VW America waits for the 2016 inventory to clear. The current nationwide inventory showing at Cars.com (204 units) is less than the May 2017 sales (381 units), so they could be coming very soon.

Interesting rumor, where did you read or hear it?

JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

Someone inquired with a dealer and he was told that they were sitting at the port on hold. The rest is my speculation.

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

Someone inquired with a dealer and he was told that they were sitting at the port on hold. The rest is my speculation.

If this is true, we won't see 2018 models until all the 2017's are sold, which could be well into 2020, at the rate they are selling the 2016's now. Or, VW, with the Trump Administration, isn't going to push for promoting their electrics so hard, in NA. At this point the Gen 8 VW e-golf with the 48 to 50kwh prismatic battery may be the one that I wait for instead. Add in DC chargers that can put in 40 kwh in 30 to 40 minutes, active cooling of the battery instead of passive, and I think things will be a lot better for VW electrics. My e-Golf is nowhere near as comfortable to drive for extended drives as my Passat is, and the Passat MSRP is considerably less expensive.

I can do the legal speed limit in the Passat, 80 MPH in major portions of S Utah on I-15, on my way to Yellowstone, or MT or WY or ID or CO, without waiting hours to recharge. L.A. to SLC is a non stop, 705 miles, if I don't have to stop for food or pee breaks, or to stretch the legs, every 4 hours or so.

They were never going to skip the 2017 model year. They need the CARB credits for each model year. The biggest open question is how long they will keep the e-Golf distribution to CARB states. Even if they went to the Hyundai model where they only stock the car in high demand states but allow ordering nationwide, it would be a better situation.

miimura said:
They were never going to skip the 2017 model year. They need the CARB credits for each model year. The biggest open question is how long they will keep the e-Golf distribution to CARB states. Even if they went to the Hyundai model where they only stock the car in high demand states but allow ordering nationwide, it would be a better situation.

Better situation for who? VW is a business, and business's are in it to make some money. Don't think VW is making much money on either electric cars or the dealerships servicing them. Pretty bad business model when there's no recurring expenses to maintain. VW doesn't advertise the e-Golf. Not if they are losing money on each one sold, as Fiat has claimed. I am strongly opposed to the government interfering with what the consumers want. Most want low payments, the sound of an engine, and the ability to modify the exhaust system, or the engine for more performance over stock. Our government stops that, every step of the way, with conform, conform, conform.

Based on my conversations with a VW media spokesperson, we should see the 2017 e-Golf in July. I have read a ton of glowing reviews about the 2017 e-Golf and I think VW is going to sell a lot of them because consumers want quiet, energy efficient transportation with low operating costs. I think 125 miles of range will satisfy almost 100% of commuting needs and a similarly high percentage of other needs in states like CA that have a decent DCFC network.

Thanks a lot for the awesome information guys.

The current deals in South Bay that I get are:

------------------------------------------------------------
Option 1:
2016 E Golf w QC
30 months / 10000 miles
SE: 4499 + extra (2450) + 75 (69/mth + tax) = 6949 [75*30 + 4500]
SEL: 5499 + extra (2450) + 95 (89/mth + tax) = 8350 [95*30 + 5500]

Option 2:
2016 E Golf SE w QC
30 Month/ 7500 miles
SE: 2499 + extra (2845) + 65 ($59/mth + tax) = 7284 [65*30 + 5334]

How do these look?
Were the leasing options even better in 2015 and 2016?

If the Rent Charge is low (effective interest rate) then I would recommend exactly $2,500 out of pocket and push everything else to the monthly payment. You will get back the $2,500 from the State CVRP rebate program after 60-90 days unless you are a high earner. The total cost should be about the same.

JoulesThief said:
If this is true, we won't see 2018 models until all the 2017's are sold, which could be well into 2020, at the rate they are selling the 2016's now.

They're still selling at a steady 300-400 a month, which is not bad for a model that's been out nearly 2 years at this point.

Up here, inventory is starting to get thin again and I'm fairly confident the 2016s will be cleared out by mid fall, assuming the dealers want them to be.

JoulesThief said:
with the Trump Administration, isn't going to push for promoting their electrics so hard, in NA

I can see this affecting Tesla as they hit their 200,000 limits in 2018/2019 and the $7500 tax credit diminishes. Elon won't get any favors now that he's given Trump the finger and walked away from the table. But for everyone else, pulling out of Paris sent a clear message that Steve Bannon is controlling White House policy on these matters and they're essentially their own. It might not be a bad thing as it forces more long-term thinking.

Also, I believe in 2016 the lease options were much lucrative as compared to 2017.
Would be happy to be contradicted though :)
aks said:
Thanks a lot for the awesome information guys.

The current deals in South Bay that I get are:

Option 1:
2016 E Golf w QC
30 months / 10000 miles
SE: 4499 + extra (2450) + 75 (69/mth + tax) = 6949 [75*30 + 4500]
SEL: 5499 + extra (2450) + 95 (89/mth + tax) = 8350 [95*30 + 5500]

Option 2:
2016 E Golf SE w QC
30 Month/ 7500 miles
SE: 2499 + extra (2845) + 65 ($59/mth + tax) = 7284 [65*30 + 5334]

How do these look?
Were the leasing options even better in 2015 and 2016?

Back