Good Deal? 2500 down + 104 per month

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnie10

Team VW at Hayward has this lease deal for the SEL. 2500 down and 104 (plus tax) per month for 30 months and 10k miles. Advertised deal is 89 per month for $7500 but they quoted $15 more per month for 10k miles.

All the VW dealers in bay area seem to attach a approx 2400 additional for tax + registration + aquisition fees + god knows what. Which effectively pushes the out the door amount to 4900.

Is this a good deal? Is there any way around the 2400 additional cost?

Edit: Added more detail

ronnie10 said:
Team VW at Hayward has this lease deal. 2500 down and 104 (plus tax) per month for 30 months and 10k miles.
Is there something special about this car?

Hayward advertised specials is $59 /month for a SE and $89 month for an SEL.
How can you pay 104 plus tax?
http://www.vwhayward.com/e-golf-specials.htm

forbin404 said:
Hayward advertised specials is $59 /month for a SE and $89 month for an SEL. How can you pay 104 plus tax?

That's for 7500 miles a year, and he's quoting 10k. The price difference will be around $15/month so that makes sense.

$2400 in drive-off fees for an SEL sounds about right. I paid $1800ish for mine:

Hayward July 2016 deals

As I mentioned in another thread, I got an interest rate around 1.5%. I think they're closer to 3.0% now? The residual values will also have dropped from last summer, so that explains the price increase. But bear in mind I missed out on both the state and monterey bay rebates.

Overall I think it's a pretty good deal if you're OK with having a 2016. It's $2k less than Stevens Creek, to provide some perspective. Personally I liked Hayward because they didn't pull the "1 available at this price" bait and switch games that the San Jose dealers did.

We can hope that is for the SEL, the poster didn't mention.

And he didn't say $2400 drive off, he said $4900 drive off.

Most definitely. Their SEL deal summer was $2500 down $150 x 24 months and that was easily beating everyone else I looked at. Looks like they've only got silver and white left though.

forbin404 said:
And he didn't say $2400 drive off, he said $4900 drive off.

Yes, $2500 cash down + $2400 drive-off fees, so $4900 total out the door.

I saw this deal yesterday.
When I called was told that is was an error on the SEL and the 2500 was really 4000...
So I emailed, and was told that the down payment was 3000. When asked about the ad showing 2500 there was no reply.
Makes me wonder about this dealership.

in2insight said:
So I emailed, and was told that the down payment was 3000.

In the fine print, it says "$500 college grad bonus included". So that explains getting up to $3000.

Last summer the cash down amounts without college grad were $1500 for SE & $2500 for SEL so I wouldn't be surprised if the cash down payments are in reality $3k and $4k respectively.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Apologies for the rather hasty post..
When I called VW Hayward I was quoted $2500 down for the SEL. And 2400 drive off fees is pretty much understood for egolf. I have no idea why the fees are so high just for the egolf. For perspective Bolt's drive off fees are around 1500.

So the total cost i'm looking at for the egolf lease is 104*30 + 2500 (down) + 2400 (fees) = 8020 ($267 lease avg).
If I compare this to the best bolt offer in the market right now (Fremont Chevrolet)
149 *36 + 3995 (down) + 1500 (fees) = 10864 ($302 lease avg)

Both cars are pretty similar to drive and as much as I like egolf over the bolt, for $35 more double the range sounds a much better deal. Are the days of sub $200 egolf gone?

ronnie10 said:
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Apologies for the rather hasty post..
When I called VW Hayward I was quoted $2500 down for the SEL. And 2400 drive off fees is pretty much understood for egolf. I have no idea why the fees are so high just for the egolf. For perspective Bolt's drive off fees are around 1500.

So the total cost i'm looking at for the egolf lease is 104*30 + 2500 (down) + 2400 (fees) = 8020 ($267 lease avg).
If I compare this to the best bolt offer in the market right now (Fremont Chevrolet)
149 *36 + 3995 (down) + 1500 (fees) = 10864 ($302 lease avg)

Both cars are pretty similar to drive and as much as I like egolf over the bolt, for $35 more double the range sounds a much better deal. Are the days of sub $200 egolf gone?
I don't think I've ever seen a Sub $200 SEL. SE, sure, that just takes work (Mine was 206 for example) but sub $200 SEL, i've never seen.

Have then print out the '$2400' drive off, something smells fishy, are they stacking a warranty or service plan in there? I believe mine was $1.9k but your is odd for $2.4k

forbin404 said:
I don't think I've ever seen a Sub $200 SEL. SE, sure, that just takes work (Mine was 206 for example) but sub $200 SEL, i've never seen.

Have then print out the '$2400' drive off, something smells fishy, are they stacking a warranty or service plan in there? I believe mine was $1.9k but your is odd for $2.4k

Hmm, think you're right, maybe its wishful thinking to think about sub 200 deals.
But I know of a work collegue who put 3800 as drive off and has 89 per month for SEL. He got this deal in november. And I could've sworn i've seen a better deal on this sub. But those posts were all about 6-12 months ago. Today's deals aren't even close.

Right now I really dont know if the egolf is worth its price anymore. Especially now that i have a 0 down 257 per month deal for a Bolt sitting in my inbox.

forbin404 said:

The drive-off fees for an SEL will be higher than an SE. I believe the acquisition fee is $925 vs $625, and since the DMV's VLF tax is based on the car's price, it will be $100-200 higher as well.

So a ~$500 difference is normal.

ronnie10 said:
Hmm, think you're right, maybe its wishful thinking to think about sub 200 deals.

It's pretty simple math: take your cash down, drive-off fees, monthly payments, and divide by lease duration. An SE w/ DCFC should come in ~ $200/month and SEL will be ~ $300/month. Throw in the $2500 state rebate and $500 PG&E rebate, that knocks $100/month off assuming 30 month lease.

While I think the Hayward offer is decent, it's certainly not the blockbuster deal a buyer would hope for car that should be on clearance firesale right now. FWIW as much as I like my e-Golf, if I was buying something right now, it would be between a Bolt or i3 REx, with a 2017 e-Golf in consideration. I love electric driving, and 200+ mile range is worth the extra money for me.

Maybe he was adding in the rebates already as there hasn't been a $6900 OTD deal for an SEL with over 30 months ever.

Can you post that Bolt Deal?
All the ones I see on ev-blogspot.com are that , before TTL. If your is that OTD, wow, just wow.

johnnylingo said:
While I think the Hayward offer is decent, it's certainly not the blockbuster deal a buyer would hope for car that should be on clearance firesale right now. FWIW as much as I like my e-Golf, if I was buying something right now, it would be between a Bolt or i3 REx, with a 2017 e-Golf in consideration. I love electric driving, and 200+ mile range is worth the extra money for me.

That, good sir, is validation for my thoughts. I'm pretty sold on Bolt over golf at this point unless e-golf comes at clearance firesale price. In your opinion,what would be worth the money price for e-golf SEL today?

forbin404 said:
Maybe he was adding in the rebates already as there hasn't been a $6900 OTD deal for an SEL with over 30 months ever.

Maybe.. :?

forbin404 said:
Can you post that Bolt Deal?
All the ones I see on ev-blogspot.com are that , before TTL. If your is that OTD, wow, just wow.

I got the quote on email. 0 drive off and 35 payments of 257 per month with 61% residual of abt 23.5k. I've been told it includes everything but tax. It sounds too good to be true and honestly i dont believe i will get that if i do go to the dealership. Might just be a way to get me into the dealership.

But i do think that i should be able to get deals for around 280-300 per month on the Bolt. Which makes me wonder if e-golf SEL are worth the, what seems to be the best price of, ~$265 per month. SE isn;t an option for me since lack of cruise control is a deal breaker for me.

i got an offer of $2500 OTD (TTL included), $118 per month for 30months, 7.5k for 2016 SE. Should i go for it?

That's a good deal as that is $6k Total.

Please be aware that 7.5k/yr is really working less than 13 miles from home on a daily driver.

Back