Buy 2017 e-Golf now or buy it after 2018 model comes out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkx

Hi all! I have a good offer similar to the one in the other thread "2017 SE $24.5K + taxes and fees, 0% APR" (I'm also in the Bay Area :)). Since VW offers 0% APR on e-Golf in March plus the good dealer discount it's pretty tempting.
I'm just wondering if it's really the best time to buy it since the 2018 model is going to come out in May it seems (according to a dealer). I wonder if it would be even a better deal then since they'll have to get the 2017 off the lots and there's also Memorial Day coming up. I'm just not sure of what the APR from VW will be then.

Also another question, is DC Fast Charging really worth the cost if I mostly intend to commute within the city (maybe 10 miles at most to work with charging stations there) and barely less than 50-60 miles one way if I really need to go somewhere else?

Thanks for your help!

I don't think there is any reason to wait for the 2018, as it will have virtually the same specs, as far as I know.

I would get CCS, if only for resale value. If you need it only once a year, it is still worth having, in my opinion.

It's better to have CCS and not need it, than need it, and not have it. Depends on what your time is worth if you get in a pinch and have to wait around for some electrons. IMHO, it should come as a standard feature on all of them.

Thanks for your feedback. @NeilBlanchard I wasn't thinking of getting the 2018 but hoping that when it comes out, rebates for the 2017 would be even higher to get it off the lot and I would get the 2017 then.
About CCS, still on the fence as I intend to use it mostly within a 50 miles radius and use the non-EV for the rest. But co-workers are also telling me I should get it...

JoulesThief said:
It's better to have CCS and not need it, than need it, and not have it. Depends on what your time is worth if you get in a pinch and have to wait around for some electrons. IMHO, it should come as a standard feature on all of them.
Agreed. I almost didn't go for the DCFC option but am glad I did, it's very convenient. It really should be standard; it'll only become more valuable as the charging infrastructure develops.

I don't think there are many 2017 models left. We had to wait about 2 1/2 weeks for our 2017 SE with CCS to be delivered, straight from the port. They had none at any local dealers.

lkx said:
Hi all! I have a good offer similar to the one in the other thread "2017 SE $24.5K + taxes and fees, 0% APR

That's pretty darn good. A co-worker got his e-Golf in March 2016 with the 0% APR. I waited a few months and got the $24K sales price and luckily got a low APR thanks to Brexit. You'd be getting best of both worlds.

lkx said:
About CCS, still on the fence as I intend to use it mostly within a 50 miles radius and use the non-EV for the rest. But co-workers are also telling me I should get it...

I certainly wish I'd got it. L2 chargers in the Bay Area are growing, but it's still a struggle to find them in the right places, at the right times, and for reasonable rates. Santa Cruz for example did a nice job installing them in neighborhoods near businesses, but they're either free (and always in use) or have 2 hour limits. Fast charging would let me take a trip to SF or Oakland without having to worry about pre-planning L2 visits, and the new NRG EvGO pricing makes this cost-feasible.

If you're planning to buy, I think it's a no-brainer as the DCFC will maintain its value and avoid any buyer's remorse. Leasing could be a different story.

You are lucky in California, which EGolf in the dealer to get it.
We here in Ontario-Canada ( Not Ontario California ) even couldn't place order now for delivery at the beginning of 2019.
Anyway the 2017 or 2018 to 2019 will be the same, no change, and it always built in DCFC, not option as 2016 or earlier.
I was lucky had it from January with Tech & Driver Assistant package, love it very much.
If you get it, either buy or lease, trust me, get it with both packages, worthy to paid for it.

NeilBlanchard said:
I don't think there are many 2017 models left. We had to wait about 2 1/2 weeks for our 2017 SE with CCS to be delivered, straight from the port. They had none at any local dealers.
How and when did you do this? You (supposedly) haven’t been able to order a 2017 e-golf for a couple months now. If that’s changed I’ll place an order right away!

NeilBlanchard said:

I don't know where you are, but a check quick of VW's own site is showing 9 SE + QC available at the dealerships closest to me. As I mentioned in another thread, I visited VW Santa Monica last week and confirmed they had at least 3 on their lot, with both their website and VW.com saying they have 6.

I’m in MA - the e-Golf I want is a white/beige/DAP and there are none available locally. I want to order one “straight from the port” like you did but I’m told you can’t place any more orders for 2017s (been that way since January, even though the 2017s were only just released over here last November). So now I have no choice but to wait for 2018s to be released. What sucks is that while I’ve been waiting I’ve seen the exact car I want appear at a CA dealership. Thats why I’m interested in when you ordered yours.

I’d love to buy an e-Golf, but VW won’t let me :-/.

MickM said:
I’m in MA - the e-Golf I want is a white/beige/DAP and there are none available locally. I want to order one “straight from the port” like you did but I’m told you can’t place any more orders for 2017s (been that way since January, even though the 2017s were only just released over here last November). So now I have no choice but to wait for 2018s to be released. What sucks is that while I’ve been waiting I’ve seen the exact car I want appear at a CA dealership. Thats why I’m interested in when you ordered yours.

I’d love to buy an e-Golf, but VW won’t let me :-/.

Good Luck

MickM said:
I’m in MA - ....I’d love to buy an e-Golf, but VW won’t let me :-/.

VW should actively offer a European delivery program similar to Volvo or BMW. Have you every perused VW's website? Quite the color selection!

MickM said:
NeilBlanchard said:
How and when did you do this? You (supposedly) haven’t been able to order a 2017 e-golf for a couple months now. If that’s changed I’ll place an order right away!

I am also in Massachusetts. I got our 2017 SE through Colonial VW in Westborough. If you email through their website, you'll hear back from Gina. It took about 16 days to get it.

NurStrom said:
MickM said:
I’m in MA - ....I’d love to buy an e-Golf, but VW won’t let me :-/.

VW should actively offer a European delivery program similar to Volvo or BMW. Have you every perused VW's website? Quite the color selection!

Yes - totally agree. The color selection (especially for the e-Golf) is awful if you're constraining yourself to a beige interior.

NeilBlanchard said:
MickM said:
NeilBlanchard said:

I am also in Massachusetts. I got our 2017 SE through Colonial VW in Westborough. If you email through their website, you'll hear back from Gina. It took about 16 days to get it.

Many thanks for the tip - I reached out to Gina and she's looking into possibilities for me.

My advice would be to wait. Reasons are that 1) it doesn't sound like you need a car right away, 2) the deal is similar to what others are already getting, and 3) the 2018 might have the 6 year/72K mile bumper to bumper warranty, which the 2017 does not. Quite frankly, I can see VW continuing to heavily discount the E-Golf because of its range.

Regarding L3 charging, I've only used it 3 times and I would not have needed to if I had the 2017's range. I had no choice because I care more about 7.2kW charging, which comes standard on all 2017's. I would probably say to get it just for improved utility of the car.

2016golfse said:
My advice would be to wait. Reasons are that 1) it doesn't sound like you need a car right away, 2) the deal is similar to what others are already getting, and 3) the 2018 might have the 6 year/72K mile bumper to bumper warranty, which the 2017 does not. Quite frankly, I can see VW continuing to heavily discount the E-Golf because of its range.

Regarding L3 charging, I've only used it 3 times and I would not have needed to if I had the 2017's range. I had no choice because I care more about 7.2kW charging, which comes standard on all 2017's. I would probably say to get it just for improved utility of the car.

I have confirmed info from a VW executive that the e-Golf will be the only model in the VW lineup to stay with the 3 year warranty. He also told me the differences between the 2017 & 2018 are:

MY17
- Driver Assistance Package which includes Digital Cockpit and the full gamut of Driver Assistance features
- 8" Discover Media navigation
- Guide & Inform (Sirius Travel Link and Sirius Traffic w/ free trial subscription)

MY18
- Digital Cockpit standard
- Driver Assistance package with same gamut of Driver Assistance features
- 9.25" Discover Pro navigation w/ additional EV-specific features
- No Guide & Inform (not compatible with Discover Pro)

If you're after an e-Golf with DAP, I've seen no heavy discounting. Back in January, the deal I secured when I put down my deposit for a 2018 DAP e-Golf is MSRP - $2k less whatever incentives VW will be offering. At the time the best guess for the 2018 release date was March/April, however based on how VW utterly botched the 2017 model release (originally promised November, 2016 and then delayed every month until November, 2017) I'm not holding my breath.

Finally - I'm not clear about the LCD screen differences between the 2017 & upcoming 2018. I just don't see VW changing the screen size for an essentially identical car. Can somebody with a DAP e-Golf please confirm the LCD diagonal measurement on their car.

Back