Buying a "New" 2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in a midwest state and a local dealer has some "New" 2015 e-Golfs with ~1000 miles on them. They bought them from an auction and it looks like the original dealer was in Washington. The cars haven't been titled yet so the $7,500 tax credit is still available and with their asking price puts the cost of the car on par with a used 2015 but with the benefit of the warranty and no miles.

Has anyone else come across these deals? Anything to watch out for? I'm planning on getting the paint thickness measured because I know the car could be "totaled" before it's sold and not show up on any history report.

If it wasn’t a VW dealer I wouldn’t bite. Also, eGolfs are not sold in WA. So that’s another red flag.

It is a VW dealer that has the car. The report only says that the auction was in Washington, so the original dealer may have been CA?

NerdyDeeds said:
It is a VW dealer that has the car. The report only says that the auction was in Washington, so the original dealer may have been CA?

Or Oregon, which is where they were also officially sold. Does it state where in Washington? It could have been shipped across the river from say Portland to Vancouver (WA) to an auction firm.

I also noticed that in looking for the number below, VW Credit is located in Hillsboro, OR. I wonder if these were loaners for use by such employees?

You might want to try calling VW Customer Care at 1-800-822-8987 and see what they can tell you. Give them the VIN and let them know your concern if these are truly untitled cars (since it affects your ability for any government incentives).

NerdyDeeds said:

I'd bet money this is the case. It's not uncommon for California EVs older than 2 years to be shipped out of state or even country, and that's especially true now given the new rules for renewing car pool lane decals. Likely was swapped with a Washington state dealer, they couldn't find any takers, and ended up in the midwest.

But yeah I'd double-check the VIN just to make sure it hasn't been titled. You don't want to buy it expecting $7500 back in April only to be stiffed by the IRS.

Is there any concern or checks that should be run on the battery since its been sitting so long?

johnnylingo said:
NerdyDeeds said:

I'd bet money this is the case. It's not uncommon for California EVs older than 2 years to be shipped out of state or even country, and that's especially true now given the new rules for renewing car pool lane decals. Likely was swapped with a Washington state dealer, they couldn't find any takers, and ended up in the midwest.

But yeah I'd double-check the VIN just to make sure it hasn't been titled. You don't want to buy it expecting $7500 back in April only to be stiffed by the IRS.
He wouldn't end up being stiffed by the IRS, he'd be stiffed by the dealership for false representation, that the car was never titled, when it HAS been titled.

NerdyDeeds said:
Is there any concern or checks that should be run on the battery since its been sitting so long?

It's lithium ion chemistry, it ages, whether used or not, from day 1. Nothing to do, except go and drive it.

Thank you for all the input.

Is there any way to verify that the VIN is eligible for the federal tax credit? The Carfax just says "Vehicle sold at auction".

NerdyDeeds said:
Is there any way to verify that the VIN is eligible for the federal tax credit? The Carfax just says "Vehicle sold at auction".

Ask to see what's called the "manufacturer's certificate of origin." That document has to be turned into the DMV when the car is first titled.

Back