Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Missing inventory
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:46 pm 

I agree, it's not a resale value consideration if you keep the car long term. But for those who are selling, the HOV privilege makes a big difference.

I know this first hand, because I bought a 2014 Prius Plug-In in June 2014. At the time, the state ran out of green HOV stickers. To move vehicles, Toyota had to give a $4K rebate + 0% financing for 3 years, and that was before any Federal, CA, PG&E, and local rebates. When the state starting issuing more stickers in Fall 2014, the deals that Toyota offered changed accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:09 pm 

HOV stickers can be a big deal for many who drive in heavily congested areas during rush hour traffic - much of the Bay Area for example. The amount of time HOV stickers can save can be significant. And that does not mean racing on Hwy 101 at 75 miles an hour.

I would expect the sticker expiration to have a negative sales value effect (in the Bay Area, parts of LA) on any e-Golf that cannot be stickered after 31 December 2018 (all e-Golfs sold prior to 1 January 2017 which are all 2015s and many but not all 2016s IIRC).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:09 pm 

Yes, the HOV sticker definitely saves me at an average of 30 minutes each way (Freeway 101-from San Jose to San Mateo)! I was on the fence regarding keeping the 2016 Egolf when the lease expired in Jan, 2019. However, the inability to renew the HOV sticker definitely pushed me to return the car when the lease expired (got my sticker Feb, 2017).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:22 pm 

pheonix wrote:
Yes, the HOV sticker definitely saves me at an average of 30 minutes each way (Freeway 101-from San Jose to San Mateo)! I was on the fence regarding keeping the 2016 Egolf when the lease expired in Jan, 2019. However, the inability to renew the HOV sticker definitely pushed me to return the car when the lease expired (got my sticker Feb, 2017).

If your sticker was issued in 2017, you can apply for new stickers that will expire 1/1/2022.

Quote:
Owners of vehicles issued a Green or White HOV decal after January 1, 2017 will be eligible for the new Clean Air Vehicle Decal that will expire on January 1, 2022.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:17 pm 

VW of Oakland has used eGolfs for $16k to $18k, and five new 2017 SE's for $32,475:

https://www.vwofoakland.com/used-vehicl ... 5B%5D=Used

In the next 6 months you're going to start seeing a lot of 2016 lease returns. To give you an idea, the residual to buy out the lease on my 2016 SE is a little over $13k, which is on the high side for SE's at that time. I'd expect to see a dealer price it at $15k-$16k.

I love my 2016 eGolf and I'm on the fence about keeping it after the lease ends. I'd like something with longer range, and if I knew I were going to keep it I would have gotten one with the faster charger even though I really only needed it twice in 3 years. I'm leaning towards a Bolt or a Prius Prime.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:53 pm 

Appreciate all the good info and it's clear we all have a unique perspective, different commutes and different reasons for owning the car etc.

For me the HOV plate in AZ is a main benefit of having an EV (that and a ridiculously cheap registration of about $30/yr). A close second is I actually enjoy driving them. I won't complain about our traffic to the LA/Bay area folks here, but it's all relative and I hate sitting in traffic. Thankfully they do not expire like CA stickers, though I'm sure that day will eventually come.

I'm stuck between range vs value. The real issue is I'm not sure how much range I truly need. as I'm between jobs. It's a safe assumption that the 83mi range will be enough, however as we know more is always better and would also allow me to only charge to 80-90% on a regular basis. Being in AZ, that's a definite plus.

So 2016 SEL used for around 18k, or a new 2017 SE factoring in the tax credit with better financing options. I've even seen a few lightly used from 25-27k private party.

Either way I can't see myself going back to Ford.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:55 pm 

Quote:
Yes, there are other ways to control SOC. Doesn't change the fact that with the 2016+ models, you don't need to do any of that. I too have a Juicebox 40 Pro btw. I just never bothered to take it out of the box because 120V suits my needs for now.

120v also suits my needs for now. Can the SOC be controlled via the app with a L1 charger? Or is L2 needed?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:37 pm 

The app (and in the car for 2016 and 2017) can control SOC for L1 or L2 charging (not for DCFC).

Using an external device like a Juicebox would make setting SOC limits impossible at a public charging station (which I use a lot). Also if you travel and want to limit SOC, you have to bring an additional EVSE - quite a pain in the rear, if you ask me. If you have a 2015 and pay through the nose for the app connection, you need cell signal. Car-Net costs $200 a year for a 2015 e-Golf. Assuming you keep the car for 5 years, that warrants a $1000 discount on the purchase price of a used 2015, more if you plan to keep it longer.

Case in point: I just drove 220 miles to a lake in the Sierra Nevada range with a pretty packed car since I had two passengers, parked and charged the car at 5200 feet elevation, and then drove back down the mountain several days later. I did not want to lose regen braking on the way down nor charge the battery repeatedly above 98% (the manual says not to do this) if I charged to 100% SOC at 5200 feet, and I wanted to make just one stop on the way home, so I set the charging limit to 90% SOC while charging with the included L1 trickle charging EVSE. There was no cellular signal and no WiFi where I vacationed, but I was able to set the in-car charging schedule just fine. During the trip down the mountain, because there were several places with elevation increases, the car's SOC never went above 95% and I was able to make the 220 mile return trip with just one DCFC stop.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:17 pm 

f1geek wrote:
If you have a 2015 and pay through the nose for the app connection, you need cell signal. Car-Net costs $200 a year for a 2015 e-Golf.

Does this cost take effect after the 3rd year is done? I have a 3-year lease on a 2015 ending this Oct, and I've never paid for car-net. I don't get the extra features, but I am able to control charging (such as it is) via car-net without paying anything, at least so far.

2001 Audi S4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:20 pm 

That’s what VW told me would happen. I returned my leased 2015 after a 35 months, so I did not experience the service discontinuing. Anyone buying a used 2015 will soon have a three year old car requiring car-net payment if you want the app to function.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next