2019 SE Upgrade for $2500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbier

With the 2019 models hitting dealers this month, there is more nationwide inventory than I've need in over two years right now. Wanted to share my experience with the e-Golf community.

There wasn't much in the way of advertised prices below MSRP other than King in MD which rolls the $7,500 federal rebate, recent grad, military, etc. in the advertised price. There is a dealer in Portland showing SEs at $2K off and VW Olympia had $3k off. I'm in Portland so I was happy to see the only real discount in my area.

I ended up trading in my 2017 SE (with CCS) with 17,700 miles on it for a 2019 SE with the drivers assistance package. I was able to get $5k off MSRP on the 2019. After my trade in the difference was $10k with TTL which will result in only $2500 to upgrade. Got the same color, so other than adding the drivers assist its the exact same car with a rolled back odometer and another 14 months on the warranty.

If I was in CA or OR where there is a state refund of $2500 it would have been a wash (less in OR as there's no tax).

Sounds like you worked a pretty good deal. Congrats.

Here in the Boston area, there seems to be pretty good stock for the 2019 MY as well as a few 2018 MY cars in stock. I'm seeing $3000-5000 "dealer discounts" off MSRP being advertised for a 2019 SEL Premium by Boston area dealers. Take off the $7500 fed tax credit, and a Massachusetts MOR-EV rebate of $1500 and the price for a fully loaded 2019 SEL Premium is down to around $25000. A savvy negotiator could probably get the price down even further than that. And if you had a decent trade, even further.

But $2500 to upgrade is pretty sweet...

That's pretty nice. There don't seem to be similar discounts here in the Bay Area; I'd suspect because demand is decent due to the expiring of white/green HOV stickers last month. It'll be interesting to see if prices drop as the year rolls on. I really think they will, based on this is the e-Golf's last model year and we're quickly getting to the point where any battery under 50 kWh is obsolete.

Heck, if I can get a 2019 SE for a $27k sales price, it would basically cost me nothing ($15k trade + $7500 fed + $2500 state + $1500 county + $500 utility)...but personally I'd more likely to spend a bit more on a Bolt, Leaf e-Plus, or Hyundai Kona

I did a similar upgrade. Last year I traded in my '16 SE (without CCS) for our '17 SE (with CCS) for $1000 after incentives. $26k out the door, $15k for trade-in, $7.5k federal credit, $2.5k Oregon rebate. It felt pretty good. The range upgrade is quite nice. Now we've got to hold on to the car for 2 years by the rules of the incentives. Hopefully there are some models left on dealer lots next year so I can get a similar deal, if possible.

That's a pretty good deal to upgrade to a 2019. I'm also getting quotes to replace my 2016 SE lease in so cal. I've got a few e-golf se quotes and 5k off msrp seems doable. Leaf's aren't being discounted much at all around here. I also got a few Bolt LT quotes (no options), and they are about 4k more out the door than the e-golf, which isn't bad for a car with a much higher msrp. But, the last 2 march incentives for Chevy have been Asian conquest deals with 2500 to 3000 off if you owned or lease a toyota, etc. So, I may just wait for that and see if they do it again. If so, it will make the Bolt a really good deal. I drove the Bolt and I liked it. Acceleration was good, handling ok, seats were fine for me, but the brakes seemed really soft compared to the e-golf. I heard it takes some getting used to. 238 range would be a great improvement.

Sptgolf said:
That's a pretty good deal to upgrade to a 2019. I'm also getting quotes to replace my 2016 SE lease in so cal. I've got a few e-golf se quotes and 5k off msrp seems doable. Leaf's aren't being discounted much at all around here. I also got a few Bolt LT quotes (no options), and they are about 4k more out the door than the e-golf, which isn't bad for a car with a much higher msrp. But, the last 2 march incentives for Chevy have been Asian conquest deals with 2500 to 3000 off if you owned or lease a toyota, etc. So, I may just wait for that and see if they do it again. If so, it will make the Bolt a really good deal. I drove the Bolt and I liked it. Acceleration was good, handling ok, seats were fine for me, but the brakes seemed really soft compared to the e-golf. I heard it takes some getting used to. 238 range would be a great improvement.

Note that Chevy's federal tax credit will be reduced to $3750 effective 4/1/19.

Nissan may hit their limit sometime this year too. Leaf sales have slowed a bit, but the 200+ mile e-Plus trims will be hitting dealers this month and they may get a sales boost, who knows. Really seems like the Model 3 is going to be the hottest seller by far this year though.

johnnylingo said:
Nissan may hit their limit sometime this year too. Leaf sales have slowed a bit, but the 200+ mile e-Plus trims will be hitting dealers this month and they may get a sales boost, who knows.

Not unless they drop their prices. At $36,550, a base Leaf+ costs over $1500 more than a base Model 3, with only slightly more range, and definitely (far) less desirability.

https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/maker-of-the-world-s-best-selling-electric-vehicle-announces-pricing-for-the-new-longer-range-nissan-leaf-plus

RonDawg said:
a base Leaf+ costs over $1500 more than a base Model 3, with only slightly more range, and definitely (far) less desirability.

But remember, that's offset by a $3,750 tax credit difference in Nissan's favor, which is going to expand to $5,625 starting July 1st as Tesla will hit its next phase-out. I wish the US Government would redo this stupid system since it's confusing to consumers, but obviously that's a pipedream given Trump's fury at Tesla and GM.

I agree the Leaf is still lacking the coolness of the Model 3, and I'd also have reservations about investing long term in anything with a CHAdeMO interface at this point as CCS/SAE seems it will be the overwhelming standard for new DCFC stations being built. But, when GM hits their first tax credit phase-out next month, the Leaf Plus will then have a cost advantage over the Bolt.

Personally, I'm still very intrigued by the Hyundai Kona. Looks like a few have started popping up in the showrooms of some SoCal dealers. Nothing up here yet though. For now, I'm just glad I got my i3 last year. Thanks to the PG&E $10k cap reduction, the pricing ultimately was similar to a Model 3 and it's an equally fun and cool car for sure.

Back