Ready to Buy used 2015/2016 e-Golf as first EV. Questions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacep0d

Hi there, VW eGolf forum!

I am pre-approved for loans on some used vehicles and I've never owned any EV before, but I've tested a few.

My choices;

2015 VW e-Golf SEL (50,000+ miles). Has 7.2KW and Level 3 charge options.
2016 VW e-Golf SE (18,000+ miles) and no fast-charging option

I'm trying to figure out which one to buy before I test-drive both tomorrow. Your sage opinions are welcome!

Neither has been in an accident. Both have the standard stated 83 mile range. The SEL has a lot more miles, but has the fast-charging option. The SE has no fast charging option, but I will install a level 2 charger in my garage for commuting.

Is the range good enough for my 60 mile commute? That's 60 miles total, or 30 miles one way from Santa Clarita to Hollwood. No charging at work.

Am I cutting it too close? Do I need the SEL? I strongly prefer the color of the SE, but could live with the SEL color if I had to. However, the SEL trim overall is more appealing to me.

The SEL has a GPS option too, but do I need that if I have an Android phone and the charge-location apps?

Any help with this decisions is welcome, and let's assume I will have a level 2 charger in my garage soon after picking up the car.

This will not be my only vehicle. Normally I'm a motorcycle rider in the summer and when the weather isn't freezing or raining too hard. The car is mainly a commuter, weekend runabout, and I'll really be glad to drive it in the carpool lane when the weather is cold or wet. I rode in 39 degree weather last week on the motorcycle. ;)

Thanks!

Spacep0d

If the 50,000 miles have had heavy fast charge use its not impossible that the 60 mile round trip could be a stretch if its a lot of freeway driving. (but it might totally be fine too, there hasn't been a huge amount of information about e-Golf battery wear that I've found. They seem to be better than LEAVES)

The SEL trim is really nice, however the 2015 will not have Android Auto or CarPlay, so you would need to use the built in sat nav, or a phone cradle like any other car. The battery should still be covered by the 100,000 mile 8 year warranty though, which would cover you if it dipped below 70% of usable capacity.

The 2016 will give you android auto, so no need to worry about lack of satnav. The lack if DCFC would probably make it impractical for an only car unless you really are going to just commute with it. I have a nasty feeling (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the 2016s without DCFC also only have a 3.6kW charger onboard, which means up to about 8 hours to charge the battery vs the 3.5-4 to charge with the 7.2kW charger onboard the 2015 with DCFC.

If you can hold out for something lower milage with DCFC I think you'd be doing yourself a favour. Your commute will leave you with little battery for running errands after work etc, and being stuck charging at 10miles per hour would probably become a frustration.

Edit: How steep is I-5 on the return home for you? If you're pushing an older battery hard to get up a steep grade while the charge level is low you're probably going to have a bad time as the battery wears.

I'm not sure if I've been helpful or just made things more confusing for you :lol:

Sparklebeard said:
If the 50,000 miles have had heavy fast charge use its not impossible that the 60 mile round trip could be a stretch if its a lot of freeway driving. (but it might totally be fine too, there hasn't been a huge amount of information about e-Golf battery wear that I've found. They seem to be better than LEAVES)

The SEL trim is really nice, however the 2015 will not have Android Auto or CarPlay, so you would need to use the built in sat nav, or a phone cradle like any other car. The battery should still be covered by the 100,000 mile 8 year warranty though, which would cover you if it dipped below 70% of usable capacity.

The 2016 will give you android auto, so no need to worry about lack of satnav. The lack if DCFC would probably make it impractical for an only car unless you really are going to just commute with it. I have a nasty feeling (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the 2016s without DCFC also only have a 3.6kW charger onboard, which means up to about 8 hours to charge the battery vs the 3.5-4 to charge with the 7.2kW charger onboard the 2015 with DCFC.

If you can hold out for something lower milage with DCFC I think you'd be doing yourself a favour. Your commute will leave you with little battery for running errands after work etc, and being stuck charging at 10miles per hour would probably become a frustration.

Edit: How steep is I-5 on the return home for you? If you're pushing an older battery hard to get up a steep grade while the charge level is low you're probably going to have a bad time as the battery wears.

I'm not sure if I've been helpful or just made things more confusing for you :lol:

Hi Sparklebeard! Great username btw.

Yes, this is all very helpful. You told me some things I didn't know, and I'm in heavy research phase.

I have an Android, so the Android auto will be welcome in the 2016, and the 2016 SE is the color I like. You're correct that there's no DCFC, and that it's just 3.6kW charge rate, so 8 hours @ 240v (which I will install soon if I get the car).

As for grade, I would just be traveling from Santa Clarita to the Hollywood area for my commute, with no errands before or after work. It's 30 miles one way, so if 83 miles is the low end (assuming good battery), then I *should* be okay. Realistically, I drive about 80 mph in fast SoCal HOV lane traffic, assuming free-flowing conditions or nobody in front of me. I would go slower with people in front of me, but too slow and I'll get pressured from people behind.

The DCFC would be a good failsafe in case my range is reduced for some reason and I can get to a fast-charge (or L2 charger). Even with a Level 2 charger, it would still be an advantage to have the SEL for the faster charging, just to top it off and make it home?

Thanks! More info and feedback is welcome. :)

I've been commuting 60 miles round trip in my 2016 SE for the last 3 years. Most of it is freeway driving in San Diego, and fairly flat. The range is fine in the e-Golf SE. The only times I get low is if I go run a few errands before or after, but then you can manage that. Also cold affects range too. If you go fast like 75 mph the whole time, range will go down significantly. If there's a lot of traffic which I assume in LA there is, then your range is actually better. Most days I end up with 19-20 miles left of range.

Sptgolf said:
I've been commuting 60 miles round trip in my 2016 SE for the last 3 years. Most of it is freeway driving in San Diego, and fairly flat. The range is fine in the e-Golf SE. The only times I get low is if I go run a few errands before or after, but then you can manage that. Also cold affects range too. If you go fast like 75 mph the whole time, range will go down significantly. If there's a lot of traffic which I assume in LA there is, then your range is actually better. Most days I end up with 19-20 miles left of range.

Howdy Sptgolf,

Ah, that's encouraging to read. Most of my commuting will be freeway driving too, with a few hills but nothing crazy. I don't plan to run errands before or after unless it's really on the way and I have plenty of confidence in the range. Mostly, I needed a backup vehicle to supplement my motorcycle commuting for when it's cold (which I understand reduces range) or raining (or both). It's been so cold in CA this winter that I'm loathe to ride in it. Riding in 39 degree weather, even with heated grips, is exhausting and difficult. :D

Thanks so much. You've made me feel better about the range. I'll be sure to report my findings here when I get the SE or SEL, as I am sure I will have other questions for e-Golf owners. :)

Spacep --

I had a 2016 SE (no fast charger) for three years, and I loved it. The car was perfect for what I needed. But my commute was only 15 miles round-trip.

Speaking in general about driving an EV, if I had your commute then I would strongly recommend getting a car with a longer range than a 2015 or 2016 eGolf.

Yes, you could do a 60-mile daily round trip, but from a lifestyle perspective if you don't have a charger at work then you won't have much wiggle room if you need to run errands at lunch, if you have an unexpected detour, if your car didn't charge completely, if you want to meet someone for dinner after work, etc. Range anxiety is a real thing.

Also we don't have data yet for how fast the eGolf batteries lose capacity. Anecdotally they seem to be holding up OK, but you might find that within a few years the range has decreased below a useful amount for you. If you start with a car that has 120 miles of range or more, you won't need to worry about that.

Spacep0d said:
Am I cutting it too close? Do I need the SEL?

I have a feature comparison of the 2015/2016 models you may find helpful: https://spaces.hightail.com/space/yZm8Z

Note the SEL has a heat pump, the SE does not. This will result in the SEL giving you slightly better range on cool days. At 60 miles you're cutting it a bit close, especially on hot or cold days. My personal worst range in a 2016 SE has been 65 miles, but that's at an average speed of 50 mph due to road conditions and traffic. At 30 months old my battery has a 20.2 kWh capacity down from the original 22 kWh, so it seems you can expect to lose about 3% capacity per year.

A big thing to be aware of - when the e-Golf gets down to the last 10% battery or so it'll start kicking you down to lower power modes and limiting speed to 55 mph. This is fine if you're driving those last few miles in a city, but can be a major annoyance and possible safety hazard if you're on the highway.

Spacep0d said:
I strongly prefer the color of the SE, but could live with the SEL color if I had to. However, the SEL trim overall is more appealing to me.

I do like the SEL's interior, but what caused me to not pull the trigger on a 2015 was the older infotainment system. The 2016s have better resolution, are more responsive, and will support App-Connect (CarPlay/AndroidAuto/MirrorLink). This is by far the biggest reason to go with a 2016 or newer. The biggest knock on the 2016 SEs in the seats are very stain-prone. Scotch Guarding as soon as you get the car should help, but it seems like I'm cleaning mine every 6 weeks. Another shortcoming of the SE is no LED headlights, which I've found are awesome for night time driving on unfamiliar roads. Also, no cruise control

Spacep0d said:
The SEL has a GPS option too, but do I need that if I have an Android phone and the charge-location apps?

I have both on-board navigation and CarPlay on the i3, but only use it when in areas of weak cell reception. In the e-Golf SE I have to use Apple Maps, which is OK. Android users should like it even more because they can use Google Maps and Waze. So unless you're regularly in bad cell reception zones, I don't see this as a problem.

Spacep0d said:
It's 30 miles one way, so if 83 miles is the low end (assuming good battery), then I *should* be okay. Realistically, I drive about 80 mph in fast SoCal HOV lane traffic, assuming free-flowing conditions or nobody in front of me. I would go slower with people in front of me, but too slow and I'll get pressured from people behind.

At 80mph expect a maximum of 60-65mi range, less if its raining. You will probably be able to complete the trip, but you'd be running the battery from 100 to 0 to do it which isn't ideal for the battery. Charging them to 100 and draining to less than 10% wears them faster.

For energy consumption comparison, driving from San Jose to San Francisco up 280 on the weekend, if I'm doing 75-80 and keeping up with traffic I'll get to SF with about 25% battery left. If I do 65mph I'll get there with 45%. If I take Central Expressway and El Camino Real I can get from San Jose to the top of Twin Peaks with 60% of the battery left.

Worst case scenario, determine some level 2 charge places on route where you wouldn't mind spending 30-60 minutes in an 'emergency' to top up if the battery drain is higher than expected and it looks like you might not make it home on a particular day.

Its an inconvenience but so long as its rare its probably not a deal breaker.

cctop said:
Spacep --

I had a 2016 SE (no fast charger) for three years, and I loved it. The car was perfect for what I needed. But my commute was only 15 miles round-trip.

Speaking in general about driving an EV, if I had your commute then I would strongly recommend getting a car with a longer range than a 2015 or 2016 eGolf.

Yes, you could do a 60-mile daily round trip, but from a lifestyle perspective if you don't have a charger at work then you won't have much wiggle room if you need to run errands at lunch, if you have an unexpected detour, if your car didn't charge completely, if you want to meet someone for dinner after work, etc. Range anxiety is a real thing.

Also we don't have data yet for how fast the eGolf batteries lose capacity. Anecdotally they seem to be holding up OK, but you might find that within a few years the range has decreased below a useful amount for you. If you start with a car that has 120 miles of range or more, you won't need to worry about that.

I have one more day to think about it, potentially signing papers tomorrow. However, I have 5 days or 200 miles to assess range. If it's way too close I can give the car back through Shift, so that's a good thing.

Yeah, I don't like cutting it so close. That's been a major point of contention for me, and may cause me to either not buy or sell the vehicle early (or trade up to a 2017+). I'm building credit too, so I don't have a lot of options and cannot borrow too much. Income is good though, which is probably how I got the loan at all.

Good to hear about the mostly stable batteries, which is another downside of a 50,000 mile car....battery degradation. I will be checking my commute. There is a level 3 charger within a few miles of my place, though I might be able to do a pit stop at a level 2 charger if I really need to. The first round trip should tell me a lot.

I would MUCH prefer the 120 mile range, so maybe I should keep looking. Thanks so much for the helpful advice!

I have a feature comparison of the 2015/2016 models you may find helpful: https://spaces.hightail.com/space/yZm8Z

Note the SEL has a heat pump, the SE does not. This will result in the SEL giving you slightly better range on cool days. At 60 miles you're cutting it a bit close, especially on hot or cold days. My personal worst range in a 2016 SE has been 65 miles, but that's at an average speed of 50 mph due to road conditions and traffic. At 30 months old my battery has a 20.2 kWh capacity down from the original 22 kWh, so it seems you can expect to lose about 3% capacity per year.

A big thing to be aware of - when the e-Golf gets down to the last 10% battery or so it'll start kicking you down to lower power modes and limiting speed to 55 mph. This is fine if you're driving those last few miles in a city, but can be a major annoyance and possible safety hazard if you're on the highway.

Hi there,

Yesh, the heat pump is another factor. I've decided that at minimum, I will have to go with the SEL for a variety of reasons, but namely for the quick-charging capability if I'm stuck. Even if it's a level 2 charger, I will get better throughput in the SEL. Nice to know your personal worst is 65mph, but that puts me 5 miles over what I need for my round-trip commute. I guess I could make heavy use of 'B' engine-braking, and really take it easy on the climate control too. I wouldn't be going 50 unless I'm in heavy traffic, though I will have fairly heavy traffic in Hollwood. I'm also concerned about battery degradation on a 50,000 mile vehicle.

I do like the SEL's interior, but what caused me to not pull the trigger on a 2015 was the older infotainment system. The 2016s have better resolution, are more responsive, and will support App-Connect (CarPlay/AndroidAuto/MirrorLink). This is by far the biggest reason to go with a 2016 or newer. The biggest knock on the 2016 SEs in the seats are very stain-prone. Scotch Guarding as soon as you get the car should help, but it seems like I'm cleaning mine every 6 weeks. Another shortcoming of the SE is no LED headlights, which I've found are awesome for night time driving on unfamiliar roads. Also, no cruise control

Yes, good point on the Infotainment system. Definitely a good reason to go for the 2016 SEL. I would go with the SEL leatherette, so hopefully seat-staining isn't too much of an issue, plus I want the fast-charging capability of the SEL.

I have both on-board navigation and CarPlay on the i3, but only use it when in areas of weak cell reception. In the e-Golf SE I have to use Apple Maps, which is OK. Android users should like it even more because they can use Google Maps and Waze. So unless you're regularly in bad cell reception zones, I don't see this as a problem.

Thanks for the great info!

Sparklebeard said:
At 80mph expect a maximum of 60-65mi range, less if its raining. You will probably be able to complete the trip, but you'd be running the battery from 100 to 0 to do it which isn't ideal for the battery. Charging them to 100 and draining to less than 10% wears them faster.

For energy consumption comparison, driving from San Jose to San Francisco up 280 on the weekend, if I'm doing 75-80 and keeping up with traffic I'll get to SF with about 25% battery left. If I do 65mph I'll get there with 45%. If I take Central Expressway and El Camino Real I can get from San Jose to the top of Twin Peaks with 60% of the battery left.

Worst case scenario, determine some level 2 charge places on route where you wouldn't mind spending 30-60 minutes in an 'emergency' to top up if the battery drain is higher than expected and it looks like you might not make it home on a particular day.

Its an inconvenience but so long as its rare its probably not a deal breaker.

Eek. This is cutting it VERY close. Copy that on battery draining too. I would definitely not to watch drain all the way, and I've read that charging to 100% is also not ideal.

Honestly, I don't even really want to drive too slowly. 75-80 mph is free-flowing conditions in CA as you well know (NorCal and SoCal), so I'd prefer to keep it there if at all possible. I'm wondering if this is a bad idea, and if I really need to hold out to get a 2017 and just eat the extra cost. I don't mind doing that if I can get approved with a loan of a higher amount. I could also go with an ICE car for a short while until I get can in to a higher range EV. The Golf is one of my favorite EVs outside of my very favorite, the Tesla Model 3 (which i love).

I appreciate all of the great info. It's looking like I will need to really search for a 2017 or a higher-range EV.

Spacep0d said:
plus I want the fast-charging capability of the SEL.

Yep this is another key difference. The base 2016 SE not only doesn't do fast charging, but its L2 charger is only 3.6 kW - half the speed of the 2015 LE/SEL. Honestly, it's the #1 reason I had some buyer's remorse on my 2016 SE. On the occasions where I needed to do a quick top-off L2 charge in Los Gatos to make it over the hill, it would would take twice as long in most cases. And without a DC fast charger, going to San Francisco and beyond was out of the question. This ultimately is why I got the 2018 i3. My finance now drives the e-Golf as a commuter car. Her round-trip is 55 miles and there's chargers at work, so it's not a problem for her.

I agree with Sparklebeard's point that at 60 miles and highway speeds you'd be cutting it close when using climate control, so having an L2 top-off spot where you can kill 20-30 minutes really is a must. Or see what kind of pricing you can get on a 2019. Since you're in California, the $2500 rebate will really help even out the cost of new, assuming you're under the income caps. The e-Golfs have held their value relatively well and if I could do it all over, I would have bought a 2016 SEL from the beginning. The sales price would have been $30k so that's down to $20k after rebates. Seeing as now they're selling for $16-18k it works out to a TCO of $200/mo or so, not to mention money saved on gas. Used e-Golfs are depreciating around $2k/yr currently so it's not a huge price difference all things considered. There are far too many EV buyers that end up with buyer's remorse due to range anxiety and charging hassle. The last think you want is to be one of them. By asking these questions, it sounds like you're aware of this phenomenon :)

I really wish I could recommend the 2016 to you as I love mine, but I do fear that you'll end up dealing with a lot of anxiety.

VW keeps emailing me lease deals for ~ 200 with I think 3k down on the current e-Golf SE. I know you said you're building credit so this may not be an option (and leasing may not be desirable) but it would definitely be something to consider

I also see on Cargurus a 2017 SEL with 8k miles on it for $24500 in San Francisco, which seems suspiciously well priced....

johnnylingo said:
In the e-Golf SE I have to use Apple Maps, which is OK. Android users should like it even more because they can use Google Maps and Waze.

By the way, just wanted to mention that the latest version of iOS upgraded CarPlay to support 3rd-party nav apps like Waze and Google Maps, so now you can use something other than Apple Maps with CarPlay if you prefer.

From a fellow Southern Californian here who has driven his eGolf to the SCV:

Your issue is not going to be going to work, but coming back. For those not familiar with LA, Santa Clarita is on the opposite side of Newhall Pass, and the stretch of I-5 north of the pass is steeper than the south side. Once the OP reaches the top (1750 feet), it’s literally downhill the rest of the way to Hollywood (354 feet).

However, coming back is going to use a LOT of battery. When I drive to the SCV to visit friends, I generally use 50% of my battery on the way up, BUT I am coming from closer than Hollywood. I also stay in the right lane and drive slower than most, and if necessary I’ll even take side roads like The Old Road or Sierra Highway when I can.

A 24 kWH eGolf may work for you, but it would work best if you can charge at work, even at 120 volts. Hollywood has numerous L2’s and even a couple of QC stations, but as most if not all are for-pay, that will eat into any savings over not buying gas.

Another thing to consider since you mention the HOV lanes: cars whose stickers were issued before 1/1/2017 are NO longer allowed to drive solo in the carpool lanes. So unless that 2015 came from out of state (or you’re lucky enough to find one that never had stickers issued), it’s likely going to fall into that category. Some 2016 models were sold well into 2017 (VWoA didn’t release the MY 2017 eGolf until the end of summer 2017) so those might be eligible, but you won’t know without checking the CarFax to see when it was first registered in California.

I'd suggest for your needs, a 2017 model or newer e-Golf, with the 35.8 kWh battery and greater range. I think a 2015 or 2016 would be cutting it too close.

That said, if you were driving your e-Golf around Santa Clarita and the SFV on BLVDs and over Newhall Pass on the Old Road, and kept it at mostly 40-45, like I do, then a 2015 or 2016 would be fine, with or without HOV tags. My e-Golf shows a range still of 115 miles on a charge, and I have no problem getting over 100 miles with 5 to 10 miles in reserve, if need be.

I've owned my e-Golf 3 plus years now, and IMHO, it's good at driving on surface streets in the city, in stop and go.

If you get in to rush hour traffic that is stop and go,on the 5 and Hollywood Fwy, your range will go up. If you drive much over 55 to 60 mph, your range will go down.

You'll find a 2017 or newer e-Golf a much better fit for your mission.

How gentle or how aggressive and how fast you drive your e-Golf has a huge effect on the range of the battery. Learned patience, and driving a bit slower than the rest of the traffic, and making all green lights, will extend your range per recharge extensively. A heavy foot is detrimental to long range on a single recharge. Smooth and gradual changes in acceleration extend your range considerably. Do you have the discipline it takes to get long range on a single recharge? I do, I don't think many of the enthusiasts here are capable of it. After all, they are car enthusiasts.

I have a 2016 SE driving it in 3/4 freeway and the rest local in norcal. During the winter time, I am getting only 65-75 miles range but I am lucky with a 25-mile roundtrip commute. Last summer, I got closer to 90 miles range.

Like others, my only complain with the car is the slow charger but I got a great deal on the lease.
I am planning on keeping the car for my daily commute.

RonDawg said:
From a fellow Southern Californian here who has driven his eGolf to the SCV:

Your issue is not going to be going to work, but coming back. For those not familiar with LA, Santa Clarita is on the opposite side of Newhall Pass, and the stretch of I-5 north of the pass is steeper than the south side. Once the OP reaches the top (1750 feet), it’s literally downhill the rest of the way to Hollywood (354 feet).

However, coming back is going to use a LOT of battery. When I drive to the SCV to visit friends, I generally use 50% of my battery on the way up, BUT I am coming from closer than Hollywood. I also stay in the right lane and drive slower than most, and if necessary I’ll even take side roads like The Old Road or Sierra Highway when I can.

A 24 kWH eGolf may work for you, but it would work best if you can charge at work, even at 120 volts. Hollywood has numerous L2’s and even a couple of QC stations, but as most if not all are for-pay, that will eat into any savings over not buying gas.

Another thing to consider since you mention the HOV lanes: cars whose stickers were issued before 1/1/2017 are NO longer allowed to drive solo in the carpool lanes. So unless that 2015 came from out of state (or you’re lucky enough to find one that never had stickers issued), it’s likely going to fall into that category. Some 2016 models were sold well into 2017 (VWoA didn’t release the MY 2017 eGolf until the end of summer 2017) so those might be eligible, but you won’t know without checking the CarFax to see when it was first registered in California.

Hi Ron,

Wow, this was an amazingly relevant and helpful post. I already decided to go with a different car, a 2018 Nissan Leaf with 9k miles for 20k, and it had the quick-charging option installed. It's also super clean....and from the looks of it it'll remain carpool-legal (as a solo occupant) for a while.

Yeah, I really love the Golf in all of its forms, but the range is just too low for my commute. However, I'm gonna stick with the Leaf for a while and maybe go to a modern Golf later, If I can't swing the Tesla Model 3 (which is where my heart is). :D

Thanks so much. This forum really helped me out.

JoulesThief said:
I'd suggest for your needs, a 2017 model or newer e-Golf, with the 35.8 kWh battery and greater range. I think a 2015 or 2016 would be cutting it too close.

That said, if you were driving your e-Golf around Santa Clarita and the SFV on BLVDs and over Newhall Pass on the Old Road, and kept it at mostly 40-45, like I do, then a 2015 or 2016 would be fine, with or without HOV tags. My e-Golf shows a range still of 115 miles on a charge, and I have no problem getting over 100 miles with 5 to 10 miles in reserve, if need be.

I've owned my e-Golf 3 plus years now, and IMHO, it's good at driving on surface streets in the city, in stop and go.

If you get in to rush hour traffic that is stop and go,on the 5 and Hollywood Fwy, your range will go up. If you drive much over 55 to 60 mph, your range will go down.

You'll find a 2017 or newer e-Golf a much better fit for your mission.

How gentle or how aggressive and how fast you drive your e-Golf has a huge effect on the range of the battery. Learned patience, and driving a bit slower than the rest of the traffic, and making all green lights, will extend your range per recharge extensively. A heavy foot is detrimental to long range on a single recharge. Smooth and gradual changes in acceleration extend your range considerably. Do you have the discipline it takes to get long range on a single recharge? I do, I don't think many of the enthusiasts here are capable of it. After all, they are car enthusiasts.

Yesh, 2017 would have been a much better fit for my needs. I really do prefer the Golf (aside from the Tesla Model 3). I love the Golf but I need to build credit to get a newer one with much more range.

I ended up getting a very clean 2018 Nissan Leaf in the color I want (white with black interior), and it has 151 miles range, a quick charger option installed (ChAdeMO) and it's pretty quick. However, it's much longer than the Golf (I think) and the cargo area isn't as nice, and the Golf handling has a great reputation. The one I got had 9k miles and was 20k, and with my credit (rebuilding) I didn't have a lot of choice so I am glad I nabbed it.

Commuting 30 miles to Hollywood from Santa Clarita was a breeze, and I had plenty of charge to get back to my local CHAdeMO Level 3 charger. At some point I'll have a Level 2 installed at home so I can just charge here and future-proof myself for my next EV. I don't know if I will ever go back to ICE! :)

TwoCarsAWeek said:
I have a 2016 SE driving it in 3/4 freeway and the rest local in norcal. During the winter time, I am getting only 65-75 miles range but I am lucky with a 25-mile roundtrip commute. Last summer, I got closer to 90 miles range.

Like others, my only complain with the car is the slow charger but I got a great deal on the lease.
I am planning on keeping the car for my daily commute.

Yeah with my 60-mile round trip and battery degradation over the years and extenuating conditions (too many hard accelerations, running heat/AC, etc.), it's just too close. If I had the choice of a white 2017 SEL I'd have been all over that. My options were and are limited until my credit is strong again. I went through Shift at a fixed price point (at or below 20k) so my choices were quite limited. I really do like the Golf a lot, but I ended up with a 2018 Nissan Leaf which I'm very happy with, despite the size of the car. The Leaf is 8.3 inches longer than the Golf, and the Leaf is 9" shorter than a Tesla Model 3. Since I have a motorcycle and park that in front of the car, that size really matters. Most of the smaller EVs have a much smaller range, excepting the Bolt EV, which is 4" shorter than the e-Golf.

Back