Looking for 2016 with fast charging Nor Cal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miserly

Howdy folks,
New to the forum. I have another EV already and looking for another for the teenager getting his license this May. I'm looking for a 2016 (for Carplay and Android Auto) and definitely fast charging. My other EV also has a short range and not having fast charging would give me way too much range anxiety!
Looking around on CL in nor cal, looks like $10K - $12K for SE with 20K - 40K miles. None of these seem to have fast charging. Is there another good source for used e-Golf's?
Many thanks,
M

Miserly said:
Howdy folks,
New to the forum. I have another EV already and looking for another for the teenager getting his license this May. I'm looking for a 2016 (for Carplay and Android Auto) and definitely fast charging. My other EV also has a short range and not having fast charging would give me way too much range anxiety!
Looking around on CL in nor cal, looks like $10K - $12K for SE with 20K - 40K miles. None of these seem to have fast charging. Is there another good source for used e-Golf's?
Many thanks,
M
There are 10 2016 SE's on Cars.com listed for less than $13k within 100 miles of San Francisco. However, there's no way to tell from the listing whether they have fast charge or not. You would have to call the sellers.

I know someone in the Bay Area considering selling their SEL [with fast charge by default] (spoiler: its me).

I'm not sure how this forum feels about selling cars here so you're welcome to private message me for info if you like, but otherwise I agree with miimura; call the sellers and see if the SEs in question have fast charge

Sparklebeard said:
I know someone in the Bay Area considering selling their SEL [with fast charge by default] (spoiler: its me).

I'm not sure how this forum feels about selling cars here so you're welcome to private message me for info if you like, but otherwise I agree with miimura; call the sellers and see if the SEs in question have fast charge

It's quite alright.

What's not alright is thread shitting potential other sellers about HOV decals on bumpers being a necessity (they are not, its on an individual basis), or bad mouthing features of one year over another. Let the buyer do their own homework, and ask the seller themselves about deal breakers, or not. Your idea of "helpful" is something that needs to be requested, not volunteered.

Personally, I don't care hardly at all about the infotainment center dash crap. Nor do I care about Car Play.They are silly distractions, IMHO, that prevent you from driving to your full alert and safe potential. No one is talking about how nice the sound system is on 2015 SEL's, stock, unless, perhaps you're a sound engineer for a living. Then, nothing would make you happy, anyways, from the factory.

JoulesThief said:
Sparklebeard said:

It's quite alright.

What's not alright is thread shitting potential other sellers about HOV decals on bumpers being a necessity (they are not, its on an individual basis), or bad mouthing features of one year over another. Let the buyer do their own homework, and ask the seller themselves about deal breakers, or not. Your idea of "helpful" is something that needs to be requested, not volunteered.

Personally, I don't care hardly at all about the infotainment center dash crap. Nor do I care about Car Play.They are silly distractions, IMHO, that prevent you from driving to your full alert and safe potential. No one is talking about how nice the sound system is on 2015 SEL's, stock, unless, perhaps you're a sound engineer for a living. Then, nothing would make you happy, anyways, from the factory.

Umm, if anybody is being guilty of thread sh--ting, it's *YOU*, right in your own post. You immediately:

1. Bash HOV decals
2. Bash CarPlay
3. Talk about "infotainment center crap"
4. Mention sound quality of the factory entertainment system

when most of these were not mentioned by the OP, or anybody else besides yourself. The OP wants Car Play/Android Auto, it's a feature he wants.

The OP is looking for a 2016 SE+DCFC. If you know where he can find one, please mention it. If not, don't try to thread crap under the guise of being "helpful."

My own recommendation is for the OP to cast a wider net, to include SoCal and even Oregon, and factor in shipping price to overall cost. Unlike the Leaf, the eGolf has not sold in big numbers even for an EV, so if you want specific features you'll need to look further from home. Some have been re-patriated back to Europe as well, so you have additional competition.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:
Sparklebeard said:

It's quite alright.

Umm, if anybody is being guilty of thread sh--ting, it's *YOU*, right in your own post. You immediately:

1. Bash HOV decals
2. Bash CarPlay
3. Talk about "infotainment center crap"
4. Mention sound quality of the factory entertainment system

when most of these were not mentioned by the OP, or anybody else besides yourself. The OP wants Car Play/Android Auto, it's a feature he wants.

The OP is looking for a 2016 SE+DCFC. If you know where he can find one, please mention it. If not, don't try to thread crap under the guise of being "helpful."

My own recommendation is for the OP to cast a wider net, to include SoCal and even Oregon, and factor in shipping price to overall cost. Unlike the Leaf, the eGolf has not sold in big numbers even for an EV, so if you want specific features you'll need to look further from home. Some have been re-patriated back to Europe as well, so you have additional competition.

I am speaking in general, not just to you, as there have been members here that have done the same to me, when a potential buyer was looking for an e-Golf with DCFC capabilites, and I brought mine up. Buyers never mentioned needing decals, but the peanut gallery was quick to state that white stickers would expire in 5 months or 4 months, or what ever the time was. Didn't even matter that the buyer was from out of State, in AZ in one case, in CO in another, where a CA HOV sticker was of no value.

I'd suggest Cars.com or Craigslist to get better exposure, where the peanut gallery and their politics won't interfere with your sale with their comments.

JoulesThief said:
I am speaking in general, not just to you, as there have been members here that have done the same to me, when a potential buyer was looking for an e-Golf with DCFC capabilites, and I brought mine up. Buyers never mentioned needing decals, but the peanut gallery was quick to state that white stickers would expire in 5 months or 4 months, or what ever the time was. Didn't even matter that the buyer was from out of State, in AZ in one case, in CO in another, where a CA HOV sticker was of no value.

I'd suggest Cars.com or Craigslist to get better exposure, where the peanut gallery and their politics won't interfere with your sale with their comments.

That would all be very fair to say, except that I specifically do recall a couple of the threads you're talking about. The most recent example was a comment that was asking if your car was available was posted on an (older) thread which you posted offering the car for sale, in which you listed it having "HOV sticker" (which itself is totally reasonable, when you posted the original post those stickers were still valid).

The thing is, the commenter asked if it were still available, and then someone else appeared to assume that your original post was also only newly posted, hence why they asked what color HOV sticker it had. You're entirely welcome to assume that people have it out for you, but the reality is that they don't. Things are usually just a misunderstanding.

I'm a little confused why you're so defensive about the sticker in the example where the potential buyer was in Arizona, since the color of the sticker would be irrelevant anyway. Could it possibly be that the buyer didn't bite because your offer was to drive it to Arizona (suddenly you're fine with driving an e-Golf on the freeway and presumably chain-DCFC charging, but only when its someone else's battery to worry about? What is it you say about leasees being selfish?) and then have the buyer fly you back to SoCal, in addition to charging the kind of price that your model was selling for used at dealerships? Yes, I remember the post.

Of course you're not interested in talking about the car's features. The 2015 is the least desirable e-Golf to most people, even if its still a wonderful car. Its natural that you wouldn't want people to compare it with other model years. You have mentioned many times the killer deal you got on the purchase of it, turns out that the flip side is the lack of demand for it now that its used. Don't get haughty because buyers are interested in features like CarPlay that aren't important to you.

Sparklebeard said:
JoulesThief said:

Of course you're not interested in talking about the car's features. The 2015 is the least desirable e-Golf to most people, even if its still a wonderful car. Its natural that you wouldn't want people to compare it with other model years. You have mentioned many times the killer deal you got on the purchase of it, turns out that the flip side is the lack of demand for it now that its used. Don't get haughty because buyers are interested in features like CarPlay that aren't important to you.
Every used car is desirable, at the proper price point. The main feature is getting you from Point A to Point B. Please don't speak "for most people." You have one voice, speak only for yourself.

Back in the day, I got around just fine in my 1967 VW Beetle with just a sunroof. It had a turn indicator on the stalk, a 2 speed windshield wiper switch and a headlight switch with an AM radio in the dashboard. One speaker to the left of the speedometer which had low oil pressure light and a low voltage generator light. How did I drive it so long without any accidents?

With my years of driving and ownership experience, I have every right to dismiss all the superfluous crap built into the newer cars. The VW Beetle was the benchmark, in it's day, for a high value car, with no distractions for the driver. I bought the SEL for two things. The LED headlights and the seat cover material. The rest of it, I don't hardly even think I use it, including the AC. A year difference between a Beetle was slow and slight improvement, if any, back in the late 1960's.

You have no idea how I would get an e-Golf to AZ. A car dolly on the back of my Touareg TDI was easily doable, but you chose to assume I'll drive the e-Golf there with multiple back to back DCFC cycles. Poor assumption, on your part, because that might be something foolish YOU would do.

Where I live, the main feature of many cars is most certainly NOT to get from point A to point B. You don't need a 1) Ferrari 2) McLaren 3) Maserati 5) Bentley to get from Point A to Point B. I see these cars on a daily basis. That being said, there are a ton of Toyota Prius drivers around here, too. Some people drive what they drive to show how big their penis is (or how small it is - take your pick ) or how much money they have. Cars are most people's second largest purchase, after their house, or maybe their biggest purchase if they rent, and many of these people care about how they look in said car or what the cars says about them. There are some people who don't care about driving 20 year old crap boxes, but those people are few and far between, at least where I live. Luckily, where I live, Teslas outnumber the BMWs, so my air is getting cleaner every day as more fossil cars are being retired (BMW's are crap when it comes to emissions - I know because I used to drive one and barely passes emissions for many years). I'm glad my kids get to breathe cleaner air than I did when diesels were more common and gas cars didn't meet ULEV standards.

JoulesThief said:
Every used car is desirable, at the proper price point. The main feature is getting you from Point A to Point B. Please don't speak "for most people." You have one voice, speak only for yourself.

Back in the day, I got around just fine in my 1967 VW Beetle with just a sunroof. It had a turn indicator on the stalk, a 2 speed windshield wiper switch and a headlight switch with an AM radio in the dashboard. One speaker to the left of the speedometer which had low oil pressure light and a low voltage generator light. How did I drive it so long without any accidents?

With my years of driving and ownership experience, I have every right to dismiss all the superfluous crap built into the newer cars. The VW Beetle was the benchmark, in it's day, for a high value car, with no distractions for the driver. I bought the SEL for two things. The LED headlights and the seat cover material. The rest of it, I don't hardly even think I use it, including the AC. A year difference between a Beetle was slow and slight improvement, if any, back in the late 1960's.

Certainly, that can absolutely affect how your view the value of a car, but you're talking from your own opinion. I remember someone once told me "Please don't speak "for most people." You have one voice, speak only for yourself."

JoulesThief said:
You have no idea how I would get an e-Golf to AZ. A car dolly on the back of my Touareg TDI was easily doable, but you chose to assume I'll drive the e-Golf there with multiple back to back DCFC cycles. Poor assumption, on your part, because that might be something foolish YOU would do.

Were you planning on loading the Touareg onto the plane for the flight back? You specifically said you would require a flight back to SoCal is all.

Sparklebeard said:
JoulesThief said:

Certainly, that can absolutely affect how your view the value of a car, but you're talking from your own opinion. I remember someone once told me "Please don't speak "for most people." You have one voice, speak only for yourself."

JoulesThief said:

Were you planning on loading the Touareg onto the plane for the flight back? You specifically said you would require a flight back to SoCal is all.

Flight back or driving Touareg back, there's always options. They could fly to LA, and drive it back themselves too, for the adventure. There's always options. I've both driven and flown out of state for many of the new VW's I've bought since retirement. The same can be said for some that I've sold. I've driven from LA to Big Timber, MT to deliver my 2002 jetta GLS TDI too, 7 years ago, to the wife of a soldier serving in Afghanistan, flew back from Billings.

Back