Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Excess wear and tear insurance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:25 pm 

Hello,
After reading some posts on this topic, I am still debating whether I should get excess wear and tear insurance.
One dealer told me it's not that critical for normal commute, but could be important for places like San Francisco. Another dealer didn't even mention it if I hadn't asked. What should be price range for this insurance?
Thank you very much!

Post subject: Re: Excess wear and tear insurance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:04 pm 

I paid 500 for a 2016. Decided it was worth it for the tires, let alone any dings.
I'm in Marin, seeing fewer dings than my 20 years in SF. But it seemed like a decent bet.

One thing: the dealer charged me sales tax for it, and I'm still wondering if it is genuinely taxable. Anyone else in CA pay tax on their policy?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:30 am 

We weren't charged tax for our excessive wear policy. I'd contact the board of equalization if you're concerned about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:23 am 

One of the features of "Excess wear and tear insurance" as it stays in the brochure - is to be able to return the car 6 month earlier or after the lease termination day. While purchasing the insurance I was told that my payments would stop as well after 2.5 years if I decide to terminate 6 months earlier. Today I called VW credit and they told me that I still have to pay for three years. So I actually don't really understand the benefit of this feature.

Anybody has idea ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:04 pm 

The main point of the Excess Wear and Tear insurance is to restore the car to salable condition with no out of pocket expense to you. When you return a leased car with door dings or other damage, they will ask you to pay for that damage that is not normal wear and tear. With the Excess Wear and Tear policy, if any single item is over $1,000, they will ask you to use your regular insurance to fix it. Any other items will be waived up to a total of $10,000. At least that is how it was explained to me when I got our e-Golf.

I've never seen the early return language before.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:15 pm 

Here is the brochure. See the second page.
https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/PDFs/G52815_LEWP_Brochure.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:54 pm 

Thanks everyone for the extra information.

Anyway, it is probably too late to consider it. When we picked up the car yesterday, they didn't try to sell any add-on options to my wife who was signing all the paperwork. I guess I will just be extra careful and keep my finger crossed ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:48 pm 

ohliumliu wrote:
Thanks everyone for the extra information.

Anyway, it is probably too late to consider it. When we picked up the car yesterday, they didn't try to sell any add-on options to my wife who was signing all the paperwork. I guess I will just be extra careful and keep my finger crossed ...

Call them up, I'm sure they'd love to sell you some extra insurance. I'm not even badmouthing it, but it is one of the ways they make their money. But $600 dollars for 3 years total piece of mind regarding things that are outside my control is a lot easier to stomach than crossing my fingers for those years.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:19 pm 

golfsok wrote:
One of the features of "Excess wear and tear insurance" as it stays in the brochure - is to be able to return the car 6 month earlier or after the lease termination day. While purchasing the insurance I was told that my payments would stop as well after 2.5 years if I decide to terminate 6 months earlier. Today I called VW credit and they told me that I still have to pay for three years. So I actually don't really understand the benefit of this feature.

Anybody has idea ?

If you didn't have that feature and you tried to turn your lease in too early or too late you'd have to pay additional fees and penalties over and above the lease payments. You still have to pay the lease payments regardless, so I don't know why anyone would turn in a leased car early. Keeping it for a few months might be worthwhile if you're going to lease or buy and you're near a peak sale period (like a major holiday or end of the year).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:27 pm 

golfsok wrote:

Anybody has idea ?
After reading the brochure posted above, I read it to mean that the Excess Wear Protection applies "at any time prior to or within 180 days after the original scheduled lease termination date". In other words, if you extend the lease, you can only extend it 180 days and still take advantage of the Excess Wear Policy. If you end the lease early, by any amount, you can take advantage of this policy.