golf inventory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyfchu

We are trying to decide what to do when our 2016 e-golf lease is up at the end of May (we already extended 6 months). We stopped by a dealer and they had a "few cars" with the loss leader 24 month lease - it is a reasonably good deal. As we started to leave, the salesman said "if you want to get one, you better decide now since VW won't ship any more e-golfs to dealers ever".

Does anyone know if this is true or just BS to push the sale? The disposition fee waiver if you buy a VW lasts 90 days past the return of the lease, so we thought we weren't in a hurry.

Thanks

P.S. We also stopped in at a Hyundai dealer to look at the Kona electric. They were HOPELESS. No cars, no test drive, $3k over sticker, put your deposit down and take what you get. YUK

Too early to tell yet. Sunnyvale VW sold out of SE models at the end of March. They now have 2 SE's back in stock. I use Sunnyvale as a reference because (I think) they're the #1 seller of E-Golfs in the USA.

Volkswagen has already said that they are discontinuing the e-Golf:

http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1744

Not sure if this means that the 2019 model year is the last, or if it's possible it will hold on for one more year.

Pretty sure 2019 will be the last model year for the e-Golf. They're supposed to transition to the Neo line in late 2019 / early 2020.

That being said, I suspect the flood of them that hit California to start the year were so VW could get some ZEV credits. If the Neo line gets delayed until 2021 I wouldn't be surprised if you see another batch of 2019 e-Golfs to start 2020.

johnnylingo said:
Pretty sure 2019 will be the last model year for the e-Golf. They're supposed to transition to the Neo line in late 2019 / early 2020.

That being said, I suspect the flood of them that hit California to start the year were so VW could get some ZEV credits. If the Neo line gets delayed until 2021 I wouldn't be surprised if you see another batch of 2019 e-Golfs to start 2020.

VAG may get enough credits from the Audi e-tron in 2020. It seems late to the party in the USA and I suspect that may be why all of the last minute 2019 e-Golfs. Sure would be cool if we get the Neo here in the US sooner rather than later. (I keep hearing USA gets the SUV first which is, IMO, a bad idea but what do I know...I drive a station wagon instead of a SUV.)

Sadly they don't seem to be wavering from their statements stating that the "Neo" hatchback will NOT be coming to North America.

That said, the universe works in malevolent ways. One of my deciding factors on pulling the pin on upgrading to the 2019 was realising that holding out for the Neo wasn't going to work since it's not coming here. Naturally, because I bought a new car with that reasoning, they'll probably announce preorders for the North American Neo with January 2020 delivery some time next week :lol:

My husband likes the look of the "crozz" but has ruled it out completely if they launch it with that name :lol:

Thinking about it more, I fully expect this is going to be the last year of the E-Golf. The current deals for the 2019's is possibly a result of VAG getting credits in the absence of the A3 E-Tron (now discontinued), delays to the E-Tron SUV, nothing else to fill the void for now, and a last hoorah production push in Dresden and Wolfsburg before production of the Golf 8 begins.

For reference, my 2019 was built in January so not a lot of time was spent at the port.

Sparklebeard said:
Sadly they don't seem to be wavering from their statements stating that the "Neo" hatchback will NOT be coming to North America.

That said, the universe works in malevolent ways. One of my deciding factors on pulling the pin on upgrading to the 2019 was realising that holding out for the Neo wasn't going to work since it's not coming here. Naturally, because I bought a new car with that reasoning, they'll probably announce preorders for the North American Neo with January 2020 delivery some time next week :lol:

My husband likes the look of the "crozz" but has ruled it out completely if they launch it with that name :lol:

Ever?! What I have been reading is just not first, we get the SUV first, then the Neo. I hope we get the Neo in the US.

That said, apparently for some reason I do not comprehend (having never owned a SUV with no desire ever to) American consumers apparently no longer want cars, just SUVs and trucks. That is why the recent GM layoffs. That is why Ford will soon make no cars for the US market besides a Mustang. I personally like station wagons. Our BMW 540iT station wagon has _way_ more inside room than a X5 from that era, looks and drives vastly better as well. I'm not a fan of the SUV movement.

We plan to keep the e-Golf until the wheels fall off but eventually we would like to have a longer range EV as well. I hope we get the Neo. The Buzz looks cool and it at least isn't a SUV/Crossover.

msvphoto said:
Ever?! What I have been reading is just not first, we get the SUV first, then the Neo. I hope we get the Neo in the US.

I’m sure we will get it eventually, but there have been no signs of the SUV other than perhaps something hiding inside a Tiguan shell. It’s going to be many years before we see the ID3, unless they just cannot sell enough e-Trons and Taycan to get their credits and have to bring a few over. I think Europe is too important to them right now; they need as many of them as they can get to sell there

Hopefully not too many years. VW appears pretty serious about the US market: https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/vw-will-add-800-million-ev-plant-us Three years is pretty soon, but it sounds like the first cars from the new plant will probably be SUV/Crossovers.

This plant may serve more of a market than just the US (the Audi Q5 plant in Mexico builds Q5s for the global market for example). It will be interesting to watch the EV industry evolve over the next few years.

I've been keeping an eye on the inventory of the three dealerships that are closest to me in south-central PA and central MD. They've only had a couple of SE's available for a little while now, but as of this past weekend, a couple of them picked up one SEL each. They're heavily discounted like the SE's have been, probably with room for more negotiation down.

In Harrisburg, there's a "gray" SEL with a $39,925 MSRP (base + destination + $135 for the cargo net and first aid kit), discounted $8,295 down to $31,630.

In Owings Mills, MD, there's an SEL with no color specified for a similar amount.

Haven't seen any new SE's pop up, but odd that two SEL's would show up.

--Chris

Sunnyvale VW in Silicon Valley, CA has sold out their SE's and has 15 SEL's all prominently marked down $9,000. However, they are all White, Black, or Urano Gray. They do have some of the White with Tan interior.

miimura said:
Sunnyvale VW in Silicon Valley, CA has sold out their SE's and has 15 SEL's all prominently marked down $9,000. However, they are all White, Black, or Urano Gray. They do have some of the White with Tan interior.

$9000 off a 40k MSRP with only 125 miles range doesn't get me excited at all. Not when they were offering 8500 off of 32 or 33k for the SE's which is why all of them are gone. The value is not there, yet. Not with the Tesla 3 out.

The 2015 Passat TDI SEL with 26k on it for $16.5k... I can spend a lot on service and fuel before the value of an e-Golf with limited range will ever be a consideration. VW sat too long on these, technology keeps marching forward... passively cooled battery pack is meh.

I wonder if VW would bring out an e-Golf with a larger battery pack? It seems silly given they will be bringing new EVs next year, but maybe in 2019 VW needs to sell a lot more cars to make the CARB quotas. Why else is VW so aggressively discounting the e-Golf?

it would be a squeeze to get more battery into the e-Golf, but i wouldn't be surprised if they could get 150-175mi out of a pack the same physical size with newer cell design.... but would theh spend the money to develop it? Would surprise me. They're probably hoping that e-Tron and Taycan get them enough credits until ID shows up.

JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

$9000 off a 40k MSRP with only 125 miles range doesn't get me excited at all. Not when they were offering 8500 off of 32 or 33k for the SE's which is why all of them are gone. The value is not there, yet. Not with the Tesla 3 out.

Keep in mind that Tesla hasn’t delivered very many of their $35k no-option base models. You can no longer order them online, you have to go into a Tesla showroom and buy one. It’s almost like they’re discouraging you from buying one.

It seems like most of the standard range models are being sold with at least the SR+ package (which unlocks a bit more range and has a few more goodies) which is another $2k more.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

Keep in mind that Tesla hasn’t delivered very many of their $35k no-option base models. You can no longer order them online, you have to go into a Tesla showroom and buy one. It’s almost like they’re discouraging you from buying one.

It seems like most of the standard range models are being sold with at least the SR+ package (which unlocks a bit more range and has a few more goodies) which is another $2k more.
Yes, but the e-Golf is still a 5 year old design in the Mk Vii, being phased out, has a passively cooled battery, and is suggested that you limit the amount of DCFC recharges to the battery. The 3 has no such restrictions.

I am rethinking my needs for my next electric car. I don't like the idea of feeling tethered every 100 to 115 miles on the freeway, when 200 or more is possible in a 3. Plus... the 3 has surveillance camera's on it. I really wish my e-Golf had that feature.

If I ordered a 3, I'm not in a rush for delivery. Hell, if I could save the delivery fee, I'd just fly in and pick it up in Fremont, CA, or where ever. That would be a fun drive back home.

Sparklebeard said:
it would be a squeeze to get more battery into the e-Golf, but i wouldn't be surprised if they could get 150-175mi out of a pack the same physical size with newer cell design.... but would theh spend the money to develop it? Would surprise me. They're probably hoping that e-Tron and Taycan get them enough credits until ID shows up.

I thought we talked about this before? Kreisel has already done it! Now if VW would just acquire their tech...

Having just bought a new SE with Driver Assist in LA and called around to a LOT of dealers, it sure seems like there is plenty of eGolf inventory still in southern california.

While I pulled up a search on AutoTrader for 300 miles from me, it is showing VW dealers having 84 in their sales inventory ATM. 49 are SE, 35 are SEL

Choices are White (26), Gray (22), Blue (16), Black (14), Silver (4), Off-White (1)

My search extends in the northeast to as far south as Delaware.

An article went through my news feed this AM that Canada is starting their Federal EV rebate program of CAN$ 5000 next month & this week Ottawa made it official that Tesla EV's is disqualified from the rebate. So I am curious if some of that "North American" inventory is bound for our friends to the north.

Plus last night I was on a German EV forum discussing the new VW MEB platform with a VW corporate link. Which after exploring lead me to another link & ulitmately a VW offer to "sign up" an account.... Which I did. & I logged in. To find (in German mind you) a count down clock of about 20 days & hours (as of last night) for what I believe is online ordering of the new ID line.

If an article in MYEV.com holds true, VW consumers will have the ability to get the full $7500 Federal Rebate (200K) through 2023. Thus the MEB production lines & VW infrastructure has time to get a few model years out to work out the kinks in the local German market before loading em on a boat for the US & still qualify for that rebate.

Alas, I am kinda psyched about my lil search tonight, because I might be the only dark green SE owner in the northeast. I don't see any fer sale out there!

Back