New eGolf for $23,000. Is this legitimate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Arkansas where we have no dealers selling the eGolf, but I see several dealers selling new 2019 eGolf's on Autotrader for $23,000. I assume they are factoring in the $7,500 rebate, which is false advertising in my opinion, but for some reason I can't get a straight answer from any of these dealers if the rebate is factored in to that price. All I got from Ourisman VW in Maryland was "that price is probably factoring in the rebate." Not very helpful.

Can anyone speak to the best place to legitimately purchase an eGolf out of state. If possible, the name of a good salesperson too please.

Thanks,

Mike

That price is totally reasonable to see for the SE on the west coast EXCLUDING rebate. SEL are around $31 before rebate. If you’re seeing an SEL for $24 then it’s likely listed including rebate.

I don’t know if they’re going to try to play games in AR, but that’s not at all implausible.

Thank you for your reply. It looks like the one I'm looking at is an SE model. I called another dealer and they told me the price was legitimate, but only if I lived in one of 14 states. Something about there would be no dealers that would be able to work on an eGolf in my area. I have no idea why that's relevant to me being able to purchase one.

I've read where you cannot get the good lease deals out of state, but I've always heard buying out of state was no problem. I'm beginning to think that the folks at these dealerships just don't really know what the rules are because they are never really sure of what they are telling me.

For clarification, I can or cannot purchase an eGolf out of state? Thank you.

chloebear55 said:
I live in Arkansas where we have no dealers selling the eGolf, but I see several dealers selling new 2019 eGolf's on Autotrader for $23,000. I assume they are factoring in the $7,500 rebate, which is false advertising in my opinion, but for some reason I can't get a straight answer from any of these dealers if the rebate is factored in to that price. All I got from Ourisman VW in Maryland was "that price is probably factoring in the rebate." Not very helpful.

Can anyone speak to the best place to legitimately purchase an eGolf out of state. If possible, the name of a good salesperson too please.

Thanks,

Mike

Cut the shit, and ask them what your Out The Door price is. Tell them up front you are thinking about buying it, maybe end of this month, maybe in June.

From there you can then figure the tax credits and any other state incentive rebates.

Yes, you can buy one, outright, from out of state. Helps a lot if you don't have to finance it.

Check this other post: https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1882. it also mentions other dealers doing out of state deals for e-golfs for reference. Many on here have done out of state deals for e-golfs. I just bought one out of state (waiting for shipping) and 23k for a new SE w/DAP before fed credits and state rebates seems to be the going rate. In OR we can take another 10k off with credit/rebates. There do seem to be different state incentives for dealers so that could factor in. also note the SCCA discount mentioned in that post. Once you join you can let them know you have a partner discount code after you negotiate your price and take another $500 off.

FWIW, I've also seen 2019 Leaf SVs selling in this price range. Looks like many factors are causing downward pricing pressure on these 125-150mile range EVs.

binarybob said:
FWIW, I've also seen 2019 Leaf SVs selling in this price range. Looks like many factors are causing downward pricing pressure on these 125-150mile range EVs.

I take it back. My friend was looking at a leaf SV in Colorado but the dealer was including state rebates/incentives in the ~23k price.

chloebear55 said:
Something about there would be no dealers that would be able to work on an eGolf in my area. I have no idea why that's relevant to me being able to purchase one.

It isn't directly, but something that you'll want to be mindful of. The good news is the 1yr/10,000 mile service for the e-Golf is basically just a tire rotation and wiper fluid top-off, so you can get that done anywhere. The 2yr/20,000 involves a battery calibration or test of some kind, and for that you'd have to get it to an applicable service center. Right now, this means driving to I guess Texas or New Mexico or Arizona. However by the time you hit that in 2020 or 2021, Volkswagen should have expanded its EV offerings which means having a better chance of doing it locally.

For the federal tax credit aka rebate, start by asking if the vehicle has been registered. If it has, there's a good chance someone at the dealership registered it in order to claim the credit. There may also be a way to lookup the VIN and verify

Like binarybob (Hi, OR neighbor!), I got my new 2019 e-Golf SE with DAP for $22,999 from Hanlee's Volkswagen in Richmond, CA. FWIW, I also got the cargo net and first aid kit too. That did not include the federal tax credit ($7500) and OR state rebate ($2500). Totally do-able. I bought out of state and am a complete noob in doing so. But we do have dealerships here that can service e-Golfs; I would check and see where you may be able to do so locally.

ETA: I had it transported (covered) for $875 from Sherpa Transport. Nice folks, but it took awhile for a covered option (2 weeks until a spot became available). But you may want to call for estimates on transport cost too.

Thank you Audball, called the dealer...they said they are doing $10000 off msrp till Monday. This is better than the $124 lease I got for the 2016 eGolf.

$33,440.00 msrp
-$10,000.00 dealer discount
-$7,500.00 Fed credit
-$2,500.00 state credit
-$2,500.00 work credit
-$500.00 utility credit
$10,440.00
$1,933.80 tax
$425.00 dmv
$65.00 doc
$12,863.80 OTD

I am guessing they are doing this in the bay area as...they are probably getting killed with Tesla Sales. Thinking about driving up to Bay doing the Tesla factory tour, and driving back in the eGolf. 500 miles...4 charging sessions at VW..4 hours a piece..probably 2 days.

And one more thing, if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to ship it. I got mine shipped to Oregon for $750 from Hanlees. Yours would be less.

egolfEr said:
Thank you Audball, called the dealer...they said they are doing $10000 off msrp till Monday. This is better than the $124 lease I got for the 2016 eGolf.

$33,440.00 msrp
-$10,000.00 dealer discount
-$7,500.00 Fed credit
-$2,500.00 state credit
-$2,500.00 work credit
-$500.00 utility credit
$10,440.00
$1,933.80 tax
$425.00 dmv
$65.00 doc
$12,863.80 OTD

I am guessing they are doing this in the bay area as...they are probably getting killed with Tesla Sales. Thinking about driving up to Bay doing the Tesla factory tour, and driving back in the eGolf. 500 miles...4 charging sessions at VW..4 hours a piece..probably 2 days.
Your Out the Door price is your cost out the door of the dealership $22440 plus sales tax 1933.80, $425 dmv, and $65 documentary fee. Look at your Sales order and what the bottom line is. $24863.80.

The rest of the stuff is government subsidies or rebates.

Only the Federal $7500 is a tax credit, that same stuff green people bitch about the oil companies getting too.

Keep in mind, electricity is a utility... if there are power outages from everyone running their AC's at home on the grid, charging your electric vehicle will be the first to be chopped, in terms of permissions to consume electricity. There will be no such nonsense for petroleum powered cars that run on a free market source of energy.

OTD was independent of time. It is understood that rebates and credits have their own timeline. Certain benefits like utilities and work related benefits and specific to locality and place of work YMMV. OTD is meant for overall costs. Additionally ther is $500 interest that will need to be paid for the 5.99% for 3 months.

I have solar so I am covered in case of an outage. Hoping Tesla will push a software update to be able to run my house off of my car.

JoulesThief said:
Only the Federal $7500 is a tax credit, that same stuff green people bitch about the oil companies getting too.

Keep in mind, electricity is a utility... if there are power outages from everyone running their AC's at home on the grid, charging your electric vehicle will be the first to be chopped, in terms of permissions to consume electricity. There will be no such nonsense for petroleum powered cars that run on a free market source of energy.

What the hell are you on about? Why are you spreading FUD about electric cars? How many times has your utility blocked you from charging your car at home? Why did you bring up oil companies in this discussion?

Your post added nothing to the conversation.

JoulesThief said:
if there are power outages from everyone running their AC's at home on the grid, charging your electric vehicle will be the first to be chopped, in terms of permissions to consume electricity.

thats-not-how-this-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg

egolfEr said:
what is scca discount?

Sports Car Club of America. I haven't heard of them doing any discounts for the e-Golf, just the Golf R. But worth looking in to.

Also do basic Googling to check for any city/county and local utility rebates. Here in Santa Cruz there's currently a $800 rebate for PG&E customers (don't know how long that'll be around since they're going bankrupt) and a Monterey and Santa Cruz county rebate that's very limited time.

Sparklebeard said:
JoulesThief said:

What the hell are you on about? Why are you spreading FUD about electric cars? How many times has your utility blocked you from charging your car at home? Why did you bring up oil companies in this discussion?

Your post added nothing to the conversation.

Totally agreed. Seemed wildly off topic and irrelevant.

Back