Buying '15 or '16 e-Golf in Chicago, heat pump worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I've been browsing for a few weeks, and this is my first post.

I've been thinking for a while about getting a used EV when the time comes to replace my 2010 Mazda 3. The car was in an accident and totaled yesterday, so I'm seriously considering ordering a 2015 or 2016 e-Golf from Carvana this week. I was originally looking at 2013-15 Leafs, but the e-Golf seems like a much nicer car. I work downtown, so between my commute to the train station and errands I rarely drive more than 30 miles/day, usually less than 10. We have 2 other ICE cars ('12 Prius v and '99 Outback), and my wife and son's commutes are short as well, so swapping cars for longer trips isn't a problem. I have an L2 charger already that came with my solar install.

I'm leaning towards a 2016 SE with the DC fast-charge option, but I'm concerned about the resistive heater in the SE. It can get really cold here, so I'll definitely need to use the air heater. How much does the resistive heater impact range vs the heat pump?

I'd also prefer a 2016 because of Android Auto, but could get by without it and go with a 2015 SEL to get the heat pump.

Lastly, I really like the idea of owning a VW again, I haven't owned one since I sold my '66 Beetle 25 years ago. I grew up in Brazil, and we had several VWs, including a Fusca, Kombi, and Variante. :)

Mark

With a 10 mile or even 30 mile round trip commute, you should be OK with a resistive heater. However I live in SoCal where "freezing" means less than 50 degrees F, so take that with a grain of salt. Perhaps those members who actually live with "real winter" can give you a better idea.

Also keep in mind that the heat pump starts losing its effectiveness once the mercury drops into the 30's F, and the resistive heater will be increasingly invoked as it drops lower than that. In subzero F weather you will certainly be using the resistive heater solely.

I'd agree that heat pump isn't required for a commute that small. I know there's some BMW i3 REx drivers in New England and Minnesota who are getting no worse than 50 miles range in extreme weather. A 2015 or 2016 e-Golf should be comparable unless the battery has had unusually high degradation. And yes I'd agree the eGolf is a better option than the Leaf. The i3 and Kia Soul may be worth looking at as well, but they didn't get CarPlay/AA until the 2017 or 2018 model years.

For the 2016s it's still about a $5k price difference between the base SEs and the SELs, so unless you really need the features of the SEL (pleather interior, parking sensors, cruise control, larger screen, etc) it isn't worth it. You may want to consider an SE with fast charger if using public L2 chargers or DCFCs for times you'll be exceeding normal commute ranges

eGolf Trim Comparison spreadsheet - https://spaces.hightail.com/space/yZm8Z

Depending on your market you can get a used eGolf '16 for $10.5-13k. And in some markets you can get a 2019 SE between $9k-12k

A 2019 will have 125 miles of range vs 86 with some degradation.

I would skip the used and buy new. You mentioned Chicago...please check your local EV incentives. I remember hearing Illinois was going to pass a $1k/year tax on EVs to offset revenues lost to gas tax.

Thanks everyone!

The spreadsheet is very helpful! I hadn't considered the heat pump efficiency here when it gets really cold. We had probably 20 days this winter below 0 F, so I'd end up using the resistive element anyway when I really need the heat.

Regarding buying new, the e-Golf isn't available for purchase here. There are no state EV incentives, just the federal credit. I can get a Leaf or Bolt new, but I'd like to stay under $15K.

I checked on the Illinois bill with the $1,000 EV registration fee. It's been amended down to $300 annually. Still double the ICE fee, but not as bad. If I buy before it goes into effect the fee is only $35 for 2 years.

So it looks like a 2016 SE with the DC fast-charge option will work for me. I'll rarely need to charge away from home, but having the fast-charge option provides peace of mind for the rare unplanned occasions when I need to drive further.

Back