Value perception

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egolfEr

For all eGolf SEL Premium car owners, please chime in. I am sure you did the analysis prior to purchase...between comparable cars.

What made you decide on the SEL premium over the SE, or other cars such as the Model 3. Pricing is pretty close.

Model 3 base e-Golf SEL Prem
MSRP $35,000.00 $39,970.00
Negotiated price $35,000.00 $34,000.00
Fed Rebate -$3,750.00 -$7,500.00
CA State Rebate -$2,500.00 -$2,500.00
Employer Rebate -$2,500.00 -$2,500.00
Utility Rebate -$500.00 -$500.00
Partner Cert $0.00 -$500.00
$25,750.00 $20,500.00

I was looking at almost $100 a month more to insure the model 3 vs the e-Golf SEL (for whatever reason progressive insures it as if it were a gasoline golf, even though I specifically made sure it was listed correctly as an e-Golf)

I like hatchbacks

I LOVED my 2016 e-Golf so much that I almost didn’t want anything else besides a Golf. The 2016 became my husband’s car instead of selling it, it was that beloved)

VW enthusiast community has felt really enjoyable to spend time in, and I have always admired VW vehicles.

e-Golf interior to me feels more luxurious and traditionally European. It has BUTTONS in addition to a reasonable sized touch screen.

e-Golf has cheaper tyres and maintenance

The Tesla has better range by about a hundred miles of course, but that’s fairly irrelevant for the driving I do about 360 days a year. The jump from the 24KWh to the 36KWh battery was enough to mean I rarely need to charge during a day out. It wasn’t enough to pay the extra purchase price + monthly insurance ($1140 a year!)

VW also didn’t charge me four figures for paint that wasn’t black.

‘Autopilot’ isn’t particularly interesting to me as more than ‘fancy cruise control’, so the SEL’s included DAP suits me well. It’s a big step up from the SE with DAP. SEL has the lane monitoring camera, which with a little bit of VW enthusiast community knowledge can trivially be updated to support Adaptive Lane Tracking and Traffic Jam Assist. ALT is essentially auto-steer and TJS allows the auto steer to operate at all speeds down to 0 while the adaptive cruise control is active. It’s easily as capable as AP1. AP3 features don’t interest me, personally.

Again, VW didn’t charge me thousands for paint that wasn’t black. I seem to recall the price always creeping up every time I configured a model 3, whereas VW had zero options to pick on the SEL. One model, fully loaded at that price.

Also your figures don’t include tax, which is of course higher on the model 3 due to higher price.

All in all the model 3 is a significantly more expensive car to own that offered little that I was interested in. I was willing to compromise on battery to get the car I wanted to be in more.

Thanks for sharing...I can see some of your points. On the insurance...I only had to pay $300 a year to add the Tesla through Costco Ameriprise.

Yeah, the color change thing is annoying. For me the eGolf SE DAP was $10k vs $26k M3...so easy to decide that one with such a big gap.

Not a M3 owner or a SEL owner. That said, you should correct the negotiated price of the SEL from $34k to $30k. The actual purchase price difference is larger than what your 1st post suggests, which of course is relevant to the perception of value.

2016golfse said:
That said, you should correct the negotiated price of the SEL from $34k to $30k

Good point, I missed that. If I had that $2500 employer discount mine would have been around $16500 before taxes and after rebates, vs the $25750 model 3 pricing OP listed. Like OP said, easy choice :)

I totally agree with this...125Mile eGolf for $10-15k savings over a M3 makes perfect sense. The number of days you need to drive more than 125 is very few.

The real issue is that VW is losing money on each eGolf. This is a car made to help them make zero emission numbers. Other manufacturers such as fiat are just buying the credits.

VW does not even market this car....they discount it heavly (i.e. the 10k off msrp). At some point they have to make money, and that means the 10k off msrp will go away.

Likewise, for a true "value perception" comparison, the 1st post should also change the $35,000 M3 negotiated price to $36,200 since you have to include destination, thereby increasing the gap even more.

Updated

MSRP $36,200.00 $39,970.00
Negotiated price $36,200.00 $30,000.00
$26,950.00 $16,500.00

10k+ difference.. It will become much closer when VW has to sell their cars for the "real price". Even the new ID will be sold at a $3k loss https://insideevs.com/news/346510/volkswagen-id-sold-loss-3000/

Till then keep buying the subsidized cars. The eGolf at $10k, is basically a free car. With just the gas savings it will pay for itself in 3 years.

Tesla raised prices across the board. The cheapest Model 3 Standard Range is $35,400 now. Including destination it's $36,600, not $36,200, and that's only if you call or visit the dealer can't be ordered online, black color only of course, less range and features, etc.

https://en.businesstimes.cn/articles/112775/20190528/tesla-model-3-now-sells-at-35-400-with-restrictions-important-things-to-know.htm

LoL ....1st post from "ElonSucks"...love it. My cousin too is ticked...been waiting 3 yrs for 35k car that came then went and came again:)

egolfEr said:
LoL ....1st post from "ElonSucks"...love it. My cousin too is ticked...been waiting 3 yrs for 35k car that came then went and came again:)
As primitive as a Ford Model T too, comes only in Black at that price.

Add a premium to the base price for any other color.

Not a lot of value added there for a change in color. A lot added to the price, plus added to annual registration fee for cost of ownership every year. You get taxed more for it, every year. Yep, Elon sucks.

Starting to wonder when egolfEerSucks gets on board here...... being such a Tesla fanboi on a VW electric board can make things like that happen.

Got too far to drive today to take the e-Golf SEL, going to take my Clean Diesel VW instead.

Ah, yes, the Clean Diesel. Kind of like healthy lung cancer. One of the benefits of having a clean diesel vehicle is all the healthy soot particles and NOx the owners gets to inhale while driving that has been proven to give people healthy lung cancer. Just another benefit of driving a fossil gobbler, and especially one that gobbles really dirty fossils. Maybe it should be called TDI cancer (or healthy lung cancer, if you like).

Not condoning the "elonsucks" moniker, but the point is valid twofold:

1) The price is now $35,400 + $1200 destination and not $35,000 + $1200 destination.
2) You won't receive the car before the federal tax credit is reduced from $3750 to $1875 starting 7/1/19.

Thus, once again, the "value perception" continues to be misrepresented.

f1geek said:
Ah, yes, the Clean Diesel. Kind of like healthy lung cancer. One of the benefits of having a clean diesel vehicle is all the healthy soot particles and NOx the owners gets to inhale while driving that has been proven to give people healthy lung cancer. Just another benefit of driving a fossil gobbler, and especially one that gobbles really dirty fossils. Maybe it should be called TDI cancer (or healthy lung cancer, if you like).

You ever fly anywhere in a jet? Just like smoking unfiltered Camels, every time you fly... so hypocritical.

2016golfse said:
2) You won't receive the car before the federal tax credit is reduced from $3750 to $1875 starting 7/1/19.
How do you know that? It's just a Standard Range Plus with software limits. They are making lots of SR+ cars. It should be possible to get one, especially if you're on the west coast.

2016golfse said:
Not condoning the "elonsucks" moniker, but the point is valid twofold:

What's wrong with my moniker?

Granted it was my first post, but in all seriousness I'm not here to troll. I'm in the market for an e-Golf and hope to be a worthy contributor to this forum. Obviously, not a fan of Elon.

miimura said:
2016golfse said:
How do you know that? It's just a Standard Range Plus with software limits. They are making lots of SR+ cars. It should be possible to get one, especially if you're on the west coast.

Call it an educated guess. Even if you try to order a SR+ today, estimated delivery is 2-4 weeks. Tesla has every reason to accelerate delivery of more expensive trims, and disincentivize the cheapest trim, even if it's just software limited. Quite simply, there are 3 weeks left in the month.

Car manufacturers are flipping the model......why invest billions and have cars wait at dealerships...build to order.

VW is doing the same, I went and test drove the Audi Etron SUV today... 6 month wait...and they are charging for colors just like Tesla.

The interior was quite nice..but not $87k nice. It does bear some resemblance to eGolf and other VWs/Audis in general, after all its all the same company..door handles, window switches, some of the dash. Though very disappointing with range 95Kw battery...only 204 EPA range. Its a different car for a different market....but it does make eGolf seem like a great buy, as long as VW/Tax credits keeps subsidizing the purchase.

egolfEr said:
For all eGolf SEL Premium car owners, please chime in. I am sure you did the analysis prior to purchase...between comparable cars.

What made you decide on the SEL premium over the SE, or other cars such as the Model 3. Pricing is pretty close.

MSRP $35,000.00 $39,970.00
Negotiated price $35,000.00 $34,000.00
$25,750.00 $20,500.00

the ability to repeatedly DC charge in a trip changes the drivability - while range and price may be close -

Back