How to approach e-golf lease negotiation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemo

I want a 2019 SE with driver assist. I've never leased a car but I'm thinking about it because in 3 years I want the option of easily changing cars without knowing today what the future resale value of the e-golf will be. In other words, I want to minimize my downside exposure in case the market for e-golfs goes south.

Having never leased before, I have no idea how to approach price negotiation. I'm flexible on down payment, on monthly payments. I will not drive more than 6,000 miles per year. It's the total outlay over 3 years that I'm interested in. I have a trade-in (iMiev) that's worth maybe US$3000 wholesale. I'd be better off if I knew how a US$10K discount* for a purchased-and-financed car translates to a lease.

* Which has been mentioned several times on this forum.

I live in the SF Bay Area.

Number one tip: try for $0 downpayment.

If you put $5000 down then some jackass in a pickup truck totals your car a couple of weeks later, you’re out $5000. Insurance will only pay out the remaining lease.

Nemo said:
I want a 2019 SE with driver assist. I've never leased a car but I'm thinking about it because in 3 years I want the option of easily changing cars without knowing today what the future resale value of the e-golf will be. In other words, I want to minimize my downside exposure in case the market for e-golfs goes south.

Having never leased before, I have no idea how to approach price negotiation. I'm flexible on down payment, on monthly payments. I will not drive more than 6,000 miles per year. It's the total outlay over 3 years that I'm interested in. I have a trade-in (iMiev) that's worth maybe US$3000 wholesale. I'd be better off if I knew how a US$10K discount* for a purchased-and-financed car translates to a lease.

* Which has been mentioned several times on this forum.

I live in the SF Bay Area.

When I was in the market about a month ago, it became apparent quickly the deals were on a purchase and leases had minimal support (aka discounts). I don't know if that is still the case. Your best bet is to call the large VW dealers (Sunnyvale, Winn, Oakland, Serramonte, Hilltop, etc) and ask to speak with the internet manager. And have them price it on the phone. Do not step into a dealership until you have a written quote from them.

I am expecting you to also discover what I found back in June. But it is worth a try and do share your findings in the price paid thread.

Thanks for relating your experience. After spending a couple of hours at it, I decided life was too short to figure out leasing for the first time.

Today I sent letters (physical!) to the "Internet or Fleet Sales Manager" of 10 dealerships inviting them to give me a price on the car I want, and advising them that nine others have received the same letter. I will post the results.

Nemo said:
Thanks for relating your experience. After spending a couple of hours at it, I decided life was too short to figure out leasing for the first time.

Today I sent letters (physical!) to the "Internet or Fleet Sales Manager" of 10 dealerships inviting them to give me a price on the car I want, and advising them that nine others have received the same letter. I will post the results.

Will be very interested in seeing the results of that. In my experience, VW dealerships don't even respond to such inquiries. Have to put boot leather on the ground and make face time before they start working to earn your business, or make phone calls. Then follow up with emails.

JoulesThief said:
Nemo said:

Will be very interested in seeing the results of that. In my experience, VW dealerships don't even respond to such inquiries. Have to put boot leather on the ground and make face time before they start working to earn your business, or make phone calls. Then follow up with emails.

I will second this opinion. You are likely to get much better response when you call them. That is the nature of this car sales business where sales people are looking for instant response to their efforts and time investment and a phone contact gives them that.

Disagree, personally. I got brushed off when I went in person to take a look at the 2019s. I was only able to get serious pricing via email. There’s room to negotiate more in person when you arrive, but going in with an internet sales manager already expecting you was a night and day difference for me personally.

I've bought 6 VW's new since 2012. In CA, NV, UT and CO. It was the phone call that I made, that made them earn my business. YMMV, can't say what dealerships are like in Nor CA, but the one in Berkeley, Hanley, I think, made me a really good offer on a 2019 SE in May, I believe. The one in San Jose has so many customers looking at e-Golfs, there was zero wiggle room in their pricing, too many looky loo's keeping the prices up.

I have no experience with negotiating leases... to me, too much crap and fluff they can hide, and add as fees and charges to jack your cost of the driving experience up.

That is how things worked 30 years ago. It is a commodity what you are buing. In the age of interent, location means nothing. If you buy out of state based on price that is perfectly acceptable., and you have to play the game over email, and get dealerships to compete with each other as they are all individually owned. My 2019 eGolf, I never went into the dealership even to pick up the car. I bought it online, and had it delivered to my house. That was the best buying experience Ive ever had. The minute you step into a dealership, you have lost the game.

Back