Pricing outside of ZEV states

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone get a reliable quote on an SE outside of the lucky group now taking advantage of the $10k savings in the anointed states? I'm in Virginia getting quotes from mostly Maryland dealers in the range of $31,000. Granted these are pre-negotiation prices so I don't know any final pricing yet, but as a starting point, this seems too high.

Would I be a fool to pull the trigger at near-full price over grabbing a used 2016 SE? After the tax credit and at going market rates for used 2106s it would be around a $7500 premium. Are the year over year improvements worth that much?

mutronbiphase said:
Would I be a fool to pull the trigger at near-full price over grabbing a used 2016 SE? After the tax credit and at going market rates for used 2106s it would be around a $7500 premium. Are the year over year improvements worth that much?
Well, the depreciated prices of the used ones normally have already taken into account the tax credit and other rebates, so in a way you're getting the incentives indirectly. If the 83 mile range of the 2016 works for you, then that may be the way to go. But if you wait a bit till you start seeing some 2017s with the 125 mile EPA range coming off of 3-year leases, then you should see the prices of used 2015-2016s driven down even further. Then you'll have the choice between the increased range of the 2017s or the even lower prices of the 2015-2016s.

mutronbiphase said:
in the anointed states?
The governments of CARB states, by the way, are just trying to do their part to reduce emissions of all kinds from vehicles by incentivizing ownership of ZEVs — no anointing necessary :) . Maybe you could start getting your state moving in the right direction by only supporting politicians that support similar goals or by lobbying your current representatives to move in that direction. Just a suggestion.

Good luck with your search.

Oh, I don't mean 'anointed' underhandedly at all. I'm sick of waiting for my purple state to come around to the right side of history and do the right thing for the planet. FWIW, whichever model year I plan on going with, it will be primarily solar-fed. And even that was a struggle given Dominion's stranglehold on the state-house.

Thanks for the advice.

A helpful tool for your decision making. It's a breakdown of all the features available in each trim and model year, hopefully it'll help you to decide whether or not the $7500 premium is worthwhile to you.

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/yZm8Z/files/fi-00650ed0-5573-4a46-aa3d-e1f72a491a78/fv-b3ee5abf-d988-4178-8164-bc45bd7b6584/eGolf%20Trim%20Comparison.pdf

This is a forum user's review of the '16 vs the '19

https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1974

The biggest change from the 2016 is the larger battery pack, as mentioned. Personally I found that the higher cost of the '19 over the '16 was beyond what my budget could support. Would love to have that extra 40 miles of range though...

Back