Tesla comparisons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GadgetGav

yangotang said:
I hope they solve this issue soon. I'd much rather though if they just took this car back from me. It'd make the jump to a tesla so much easier.
If I was in the situation where I could have chosen a Tesla, I would have..! I got an eGolf because it was 1/3rd the price of the Tesla I would want (P85D) and it's half the price of even the base Model S.

The way I look at it is I'll take the inferior eGolf for 3 years and then see what the 'affordable' Tesla turns out to be. But, I don't have variable rate billing, so I can look at CarNet as nice-to-have extras rather than something that makes or breaks the usability of the car for me.

I'm keep hearing about Tesla quality...fit, materials etc as well as maintenance, cost of repairs, bugs The battery life also concerns me. Plus it's 5000 lbs.

Everything about the e-golf just reeks quality, plus the ride and road feel is pure German solid, what you imagine when you think BMW or Mercedes. Everything is so well thought out. It's such a neat car and at 36K a steal. This is enabled by VWs MQB common platform piggybacking on millions of golf ices. Plus I'm sure even then VW is losing money on every egolf

Ron

What bugs have you heard about Teslas? My wife has a P85D and I have an E-Golf and the Tesla is a million times better than the E-Golf. With that being said, for the price, the E-golf is a great car. Nothing beats a Tesla though. I understand there is a huge price difference but the Tesla is amazing. Getting new features every few weeks is like getting a new car. Since getting the P85D in December we've gotten a ton of new features (auto high beams, updated Nav/calendar functions, traffic aware cruise control, new steering "feel" options, etc). Absolutely no fit and finish issues like that had a while back.

Patrick

cove3 said:
I'm keep hearing about Tesla quality...fit, materials etc as well as maintenance, cost of repairs, bugs The battery life also concerns me. Plus it's 5000 lbs.

Everything about the e-golf just reeks quality, plus the ride and road feel is pure German solid, what you imagine when you think BMW or Mercedes. Everything is so well thought out. It's such a neat car and at 36K a steal. This is enabled by VWs MQB common platform piggybacking on millions of golf ices. Plus I'm sure even then VW is losing money on every egolf

Ron

It's from comments in various articles about cost of repair, plastic parts not fitting, drive train replacement. Also, an article in seeking alpha summarized a number of items.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2279283-is-tesla-model-s-really-a-quality-green-

I can't say I've done enough research as a Tesla was never a consideration.... only the e-golf and the i3, but in researching out these, I kept coming across Tesla articles

Ron

cove3 said:
It's from comments in various articles about cost of repair, plastic parts not fitting, drive train replacement. Also, an article in seeking alpha summarized a number of items.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2279283-is-tesla-model-s-really-a-quality-green-

I can't say I've done enough research as a Tesla was never a consideration.... only the e-golf and the i3, but in researching out these, I kept coming across Tesla articles

Ron

Tesla Model S is awesome hands down, just way too expensive, and the range is overstated.

I drove an early 2014 P85D for 400 miles from San Francisco to Los Angeles and it was not as much fun as I had hoped because in order to make it to the next supercharger you have to drive slower than the average ICE car. I think I added about 2 hours to the trip each way, and $100 at harris ranch for an overpriced steak dinner.

But for shorter than 200 mile distances the experience is awesome and you will be the fastest on the road, and the fast charging is amazing to watch, with all technical detail displayed, an engineers dream, just like the energy consumption forecast graph that adapts as you drive towards your gps destination that displays where in the road trip it will be consuming how much, and how much will be left when you arrive given previous deltas to average. It's brilliant on many levels.

That being said, my eGolf cost me $38k out the door after taxes and fees, out of which I got $2.5k back already, and can write off another $7.5k by the end of the year, so in one year it cost me about $28k.

The tesla I priced out (does not even have to be the P version, just 85kW battery and dual motor and tech package etc) was above 100k, so even after taking off 10k incentive and adding taxes and fees, I probably would have to pay at the very least $100k for owning it.

That is 3.57 times more than what I paid for the eGolf.

I obviously would not even try driving the eGolf to LA :) it has a range of about 100 miles, the iPhone app is terrible (but still a lot better than not having any) and the bumpiness of the ride especially for side passengers is a lot worse than it used to be on the VW Jetta iCE or the Tesla.

But it works, and it is fun to leave normal ICE cars behind you at each light, feel the freedom without guilt that you get by charging over night in the garage at an L2 charger, with clean electricity prepaid through my solar panels, checking on charging and turning on AC (how cumbersome tho) via iPhone app before walking out to the car, checking driving efficiency (4.0-5.0 miles per kWh typically, 3.5 when driving like a pig), having my iPhone connect via bluetooth and start playing on the stereo after entering the car without having to touch any buttons, locking without taking the key out of my pocket by touching door handle on the outside where that little indention slit is. Also when you are the driver, you don't notice the bumpiness as much, and compared to our ICE van it is very smooth and quiet. In fact I brought the Honda Oddysee in for service after driving the eGolf for a while because I was so spoiled by its smoothness that I though something was wrong with the Oddysee. Turns it it was just fine, just my expectations of 'normal' had changed.

Just sometimes, when I know I could have accelerated faster with the tesla and passed that one more car that blocks me now from the open lanes, or when the governor limits me to 86 miles per hour, or when the annoying noise generator at low speeds spoils the beauty of the quiet ride, or when I am the side passenger and the headrest keeps bumping me in the head, or when I am in stop and go and there is no fully automated stop and go cruise control, or when the car-net app clowns me, thats when I wish I had the tesla instead. Most of the time I am just very happy though.

My conclusion is: The eGolf is 50% of the tesla for 30% of its price, and that is a very good deal, and I am a happy owner 90% of the time :)

If I do go ahead and buy an E-golf, after my refunds... I'll let you know how much % it was of the cost of a Tesla. Owner Loyalty package right now is looking pretty good.

Edit: OK, I bought one, a 2015 SEL... Price for a Tesla P70D before taxes and registration... $75,000. Price of my Golf before taxes and registration, 25,300. Price of a Tesla after federal tax credit and CA EV rebate $65000. Price on my Golf after federal tax credit and CA EV rebate, $15,300.

The $10,000 in Federal tax credit and CA rebate goes a LOT farther % wise, on the E-Golf, than the Tesla. Is the Tesla 4.3X the amount of car that the e-golf is? Only you can decide. I know the Tesla store manager in Santa Barbara is a late 20's aged man, and he just leased a (an?) e-Golf SEL. He drives from Ventura, CA to Santa Barbara, 40 miles each way, fast, 80 mph average, he says. He's charging 2x a day, so it will be interesting to see how his battery is doing for well being at 36 months when he turns it back in.

TDINutz said:
2015 SEL... Price for a Tesla P70D before taxes and registration... $75,000. Price of my Golf before taxes and registration, 25,300. Price of a Tesla after federal tax credit and CA EV rebate $65000. Price on my Golf after federal tax credit and CA EV rebate, $15,300.

How on earth did you get the SEL so cheap? MSRP is 36k before taxes and fees, I paid 38k after taxes and fees january 2015 so after tax credits it will have cost me 28k.

If what you say is true it would have dropped 10k in value already? KBB doesn't think so...

Shocked...

Skryll said:
TDINutz said:
2015 SEL... Price for a Tesla P70D before taxes and registration... $75,000. Price of my Golf before taxes and registration, 25,300. Price of a Tesla after federal tax credit and CA EV rebate $65000. Price on my Golf after federal tax credit and CA EV rebate, $15,300.

How on earth did you get the SEL so cheap? MSRP is 36k before taxes and fees, I paid 38k after taxes and fees january 2015 so after tax credits it will have cost me 28k.

If what you say is true it would have dropped 10k in value already? KBB doesn't think so...

Shocked...

I bought a 2015 SEL in October of 2015, with VW having 2016's sitting at the San Diego Shipyard hub, and dealers just taking on inventory of 2016's and willing to blow out the 2015's. That, and I got an additional $2000 VW Owner Loyalty cash back, off the top. I didn't finance it through VW credit, either. No trade in.

Back