Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which EVSE to buy??
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:07 am 

I love digging up old threads.

I have been able to avoid having to charge at home (free 30 amp chargers near work), but a situation couple of days ago made me think that perhaps it would be wise to purchase a faster home charger than the 120V one provided with the car. Being the tightwad I am, saw Commercial Blink Level 2 Chargers on ebay for relatively cheeeep price.

Quick read on the interwebs say that there are cable melting/overheating issues at higher amperage that may/may not have been resolved. Makes me wonder how that's UL compliant... and also wondering if these units have to be networked to even function or to access the full UI.

What are your general impressions on Blink chargers?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:50 am 

My general impression of the commercial ones is that they're the worst of the worst. I wouldn't give a used one to my worst enemy.

If you're at all handy, I encourage you to consider OpenEVSE. You can learn a little about EVSEs and design and build one to your exact specifications.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:55 am 

daeofcal wrote:
What are your general impressions on Blink chargers?

Run like hell away.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:30 pm 

nsayer wrote:
My general impression of the commercial ones is that they're the worst of the worst. I wouldn't give a used one to my worst enemy.

ROTFL. Sadly, absolutely true. Stay away. Stay FAR away. Commercial, residential, doesn't matter. Just stay away.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:48 pm 

The Chinese EVSE does not include GFCI. Nick Sayers suggestion of the OpenEVSE project is right on.

My OpenEVSE 40A charger works fine at 30A with my eGolf.

I build OpenEVSE units as a hobby and they have evolved into a fully complaint unit. Adding GFCI and in particular Nick's EVSE testing routine makes it the EVSE choice in my biased opinion.

Ver 3 firmware supports RAPI and Chris and others have adapted that to wifi ( something I have no interest in but I realize I am in the minority). I do not see the need to see my EVSE on my smartphone. It is bad enough that I can see and set my Bryant HVAC system. I want to talk and sometimes text but that is it. Yes I am a Luddite.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:40 am 

I'll pile on for OpenEVSE - purchased and built one last year shortly after getting my eGolf and it works great.

I share a 30A dryer circuit using a heavy duty 240V 30A DPDT switch and run the EVSE at 24A. I got the deluxe version with the color display and the wifi module, though I haven't used it for anything yet... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:53 pm 

GlennD wrote:
The Chinese EVSE does not include GFCI. Nick Sayers suggestion of the OpenEVSE project is right on.

My OpenEVSE 40A charger works fine at 30A with my eGolf.

I build OpenEVSE units as a hobby and they have evolved into a fully complaint unit. Adding GFCI and in particular Nick's EVSE testing routine makes it the EVSE choice in my biased opinion.

Ver 3 firmware supports RAPI and Chris and others have adapted that to wifi ( something I have no interest in but I realize I am in the minority). I do not see the need to see my EVSE on my smartphone. It is bad enough that I can see and set my Bryant HVAC system. I want to talk and sometimes text but that is it. Yes I am a Luddite.

Everyone wants everything on the smartphone. Whats wrong with an EVSE that just works?

I just replaced my 1976 furnace. The new one has a smartphone ap that lets me control the settings. Big deal, If I am home I can walk up to it and if I am not home the default setting is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:09 pm 

GlennD wrote:
I just replaced my 1976 furnace. The new one has a smartphone ap that lets me control the settings. Big deal, If I am home I can walk up to it and if I am not home the default setting is fine.

Getting off topic, but app-controlled thermostats have been a convenience for me. No I don't need it when I'm home, but there have been times where my return home is delayed and I don't want to waste energy cooling/heating a house which I will not be occupying. Conversely, if I do leave work early, I can override the settings so I return to a home that is warm or cool to my liking.

For someone like me who has a somewhat erratic work schedule, and lives alone, it's extremely helpful. But even if I have a schedule that does not vary at all, I found it far easier to program the settings via an app vs on the thermostat itself. And I have more flexibility in that programming as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am 

I was searching all of Craiglist and see a lot of used EVSE's in your area. You can snag a good one for a good deal and get the one that you want if you are patient. I wish I had more previous E.V. owners in my neck of the woods to take advantage of those deals myself.

2004 R32 Stock beater (red)
Clipper Creek 32A EVSE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:12 am 

Went through this thread and didn't see any mention of the one I've used for 5 years + so will add it here as their customer service / support is the best I've ever personally experienced so its worth a mention. Back in late 2011, I bought a new 2012 LEAF SL (had the 3.3 kW onboard charger); was one of the first in the Chicago area. EVSE units were pretty new back then, considered a GE Watt Station among a few others but settled on a Schneider EVlink as their Midwest HQ (at the time) was located in the next town over from me as well as some of the early reviews were quite positive. At the time the IL EPA was also offering a 50% rebate for EVSE's and the installation costs and Schneider provided the info they required so I could get the cash rebate (along with the electrical contractor); that was my first contact with them --- fast forward 5 years; as I had their first gen EVSE, the existing charge output capacity was fine for my 3.3 kW rated LEAF but insufficient for my recently purchased 7.2 kW e-Golf (basically the unit would show a red 'fail' light once the car reached 100% charge). I contacted their support group and they sent me basically a totally upgraded circuit board that would update my first gen to their newest 2.5 gen model -- even the interface on the wall unit itself changed. Now I'm getting the full 7.2 kW output (the VW charges more than twice as fast as what the LEAF could) and no issues whatsoever -- who does that? While still not cheap; the unit performed flawlessly for my first EV and now the faster charging e-Golf -- when/if I upgrade once again to a Tesla Model 3 I plan to use it as well (Tesla includes an J1772 adapter) for home charging; granted its not as fast as a Tesla wall charger or upping to a NEMA14-50 plug instead (would require upgrading the wiring as well as a 60A circuit breaker; using a 40A currently) but its fine for overnight charging. I've seen lots of discounting well below MSRP if you look hard enough; I'm sure there may also be some on the used market, as Schneider stands behind these that may be a good bet as well -- link to MFG spec's below (mine cost me $679 back then; as IL EPA picked up 50% including the install costs, my out of pocket came to $605; this included dedicated 40A circuit, running 40+ feet of conduit, etc.):

http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/product/EV230WS/evlink-level-2-wall-mounted-7.2-kw-residential-indoor-charging-station/

Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2018?) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next