How long does the 12V stay on when parked?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran a power inverter off of my Leaf to power lights and my coffee maker during power outages. It worked great, but I could leave the car on (without sitting in the seat) and connect the hot to the 12v and other side to the DC/DC converter so it would keep the 12v charged from the traction battery. Another guy on the Leaf forum ran refrigerator during Sandy. The problem with the e-Golf is I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the car on, and I don't know when it charges the 12v (the Leaf had to be on).

REM said:
The problem with the e-Golf is I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the car on, and I don't know when it charges the 12v (the Leaf had to be on).

Please, read my post from about a week ago in this thread. I verified that the car stays on for at least 3 hours with the key in the house and car in the garage. I also used a multimeter to verify the voltage regulator is charging the 12V when the car is on. To be clear, the eGolf didn't turn off after 3hrs, I just decided to stop the test.

kirby said:
REM said:
The problem with the e-Golf is I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the car on, and I don't know when it charges the 12v (the Leaf had to be on).

Please, read my post from about a week ago in this thread. I verified that the car stays on for at least 3 hours with the key in the house and car in the garage. I also used a multimeter to verify the voltage regulator is charging the 12V when the car is on. To be clear, the eGolf didn't turn off after 3hrs, I just decided to stop the test.

Sorry, I just noticed that I missed a whole page of the thread. I guess that's what I get for reading on my phone... So was the key to not press the brakes and just turn on accessory mode, or whatever it is called, instead of starting the car as if you were to drive it?

REM said:
kirby said:
REM said:

Sorry, I just noticed that I missed a whole page of the thread. I guess that's what I get for reading on my phone... So was the key to not press the brakes and just turn on accessory mode, or whatever it is called, instead of starting the car as if you were to drive it?
There is also a fuse setting where the accessory stays on forever.

I think changing "the fuse" position only keeps the 12V power ports (cigarette ports) on full time? Don't know. What I did was:
- Foot off brake, parking brake on, car in park, headlight turned off (to reduce load on the 12V circuit)
- Turn car on
- Wait until the left-hand dial goes to the "Off" position at 9O'Clock.
- Get out of the car (keys in your pocket), pop the hood, check the voltage at the battery. Mine is always around about 13.2V.

This is how I tested and how I did things again today at the flying field. Key is in my pocket, so car can't be driven (I tried this). But the 12V circuit stays on around 13.2V with no load. Today was the first time I actually depended on this, and while I didn't do any serious load, it worked perfectly. I think max load my charger was pulling from my inverter was about 150W for about 20min. For what I'm flying right now, that is going to be a lot more common than the 450W test I did at home, but I wanted to know if I could.

Here the link to the fuse that leaves the acc on at all times.
http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=934

forbin404 said:
You have to be careful with that because while the car is off the load can drain the 12V battery. The method @kirby is using keeps the 12V charged from the high voltage traction battery.

miimura said:
forbin404 said:
You have to be careful with that because while the car is off the load can drain the 12V battery. The method @kirby is using keeps the 12V charged from the high voltage traction battery.

Exactly! If I see >13VDC with a multimeter, I assume I'm not drawing from the battery. Although I realized I really should check the voltage of the the 12V circuit with car in fully "on" mode (i.e ready to drive away, but still in park). Hopefully it isn't different, we'll see. UPDATE: When car is in "ready to go" mode, multimeter at the battery read: 13.0, that's lower than the 13.2 I see when car is in "accessory mode"

Thanks for doing the tests and posting the results! This thread has been infomative!

Yes, thanks for posting your results. I am going to use this to keep my refrigerator powered while my main panel gets upgraded for solar in a few weeks. The sticker inside my fridge says 7.2A and after the compressor turns on the draw is only about 150W as verified by my Kill-A-Watt. The inverter I have is rated at 1000 watts continuous so I should be good to go.

That was timely. It's windy and my power went out. Power inverter, extension cords, car on, park break on, car lights off. Works like a charm.

REM said:
That was timely. It's windy and my power went out. Power inverter, extension cords, car on, park break on, car lights off. Works like a charm.

I'd like to hear how long you run it this way and how much power you pull.

kirby said:
REM said:

I'd like to hear how long you run it this way and how much power you pull.

I ran two extension cords to power lights and charge cell phones all night. Then I ran my coffee maker tbis morning. I should have used my watt meter to measure how much power I used, but I didn't think of it. I'm thinking about plugging one of my refrigerators, but I don't think my inverter can handle it.

Well this is crazy. We lost power again. Our town is in a state of emergency due to high winds (recorded at 81 mph). With so many people without power it's going to be a while. We are yet again running our main refrigerator using my car and power inverter. It used ten miles (one bar on CarNet) to run the fridge and some LED lights for about 12 hours so far. Now I'm talking with an electrician friend about installing a connect to run our gas furance in the future. With the growth of battery pack size, I don't see why some company won't develop an inverter that plugs into the quick charge port to power a house the way people use generators. 60 kwh will last a long time running critical items.

REM said:
With the growth of battery pack size, I don't see why some company won't develop an inverter that plugs into the quick charge port to power a house the way people use generators. 60 kwh will last a long time running critical items.

As I understand it (not sure though) the charge port and wiring leading to the onboard charger is specifically designed so you can't get power out of it. It's a safety thing.

kirby said:
REM said:
With the growth of battery pack size, I don't see why some company won't develop an inverter that plugs into the quick charge port to power a house the way people use generators. 60 kwh will last a long time running critical items.

As I understand it (not sure though) the charge port and wiring leading to the onboard charger is specifically designed so you can get power out of it. It's a safety thing.
A properly designed device could safely take power directly from the traction battery. These devices exist in Japan for CHAdeMO equipped vehicles. I have not yet seen one for CCS vehicles, but they are basically the same, just with a different protocol. The problem is that there are not a lot of inverters available for the battery voltages present in electric vehicles. So, these power export devices are expensive right now.

REM said:
Well this is crazy. We lost power again. Our town is in a state of emergency due to high winds (recorded at 81 mph). With so many people without power it's going to be a while. We are yet again running our main refrigerator using my car and power inverter. It used ten miles (one bar on CarNet) to run the fridge and some LED lights for about 12 hours so far. Now I'm talking with an electrician friend about installing a connect to run our gas furance in the future. With the growth of battery pack size, I don't see why some company won't develop an inverter that plugs into the quick charge port to power a house the way people use generators. 60 kwh will last a long time running critical items.

Just curious, are you using a modified or pure sine wave inverter? I have a cheaper modified sine wave inverter and from what I've read some devices may not work at all and inductive loads such as refrigerator compressors will work a bit harder which is ok if we're just using the inverter for emergencies.

jeffy1021 said:
REM said:

Just curious, are you using a modified or pure sine wave inverter? I have a cheaper modified sine wave inverter and from what I've read some devices may not work at all and inductive loads such as refrigerator compressors will work a bit harder which is ok if we're just using the inverter for emergencies.

I have a modified sine wave inverter and would recommend a pure sine wave. We are still without power (estimated resortation is Monday by 11:59 pm), and because it's 17 degrees we are staying with friends, so I gave up on the refrigerator days ago.

Because we lose power a lot, although usually for shorter periods, I am tempted to get a better inverter and work with my electrician friend to wire a disconnect to our furnace. The inverter worked well, even for higher wattage uses like my coffee maker (it draws nearly 1 kw). I just wonder how the 12v would keep up with the sustained draw of a gas furnace fan on a cold day.

I know that the easy answer is to get a generator, but I don't want a noisy, polluting gasoline powered thing to take care of. I don't even own a gas can. I just wish there was a product in the US that connects right to the traction battery.

You should look at the electrical specifications for the furnace. I have a high efficiency condensing natural gas furnace and it does not draw more than 7 amps on 120VAC (840VA). It has a blower for the house air and a separate one for the combustion air. I have one of these for each floor of the house. In an emergency, I would only power the downstairs unit since the heat naturally goes upstairs. Keeping one of these running along with a refrigerator is within the capabilities of the 12V system in the e-Golf. You just have to choose an appropriate inverter and fuse it properly on the AC and DC sides.

Sorry to hear you have been without power for so long.

I tried to run my fridge off a 1000w (2000w) peak inverter and it was a no go. The sticker inside my fridge said 7.2A @ 120V which is 864 watts. In theory it should have worked, but I guess there is probably some inefficiency within the inverter and the "peak wattage" is good for a second so it's pretty useless for motor/compressor loads that take up to a few seconds when the first power up. Once the compressor is running, the fridge draws less than 200W. I would probably need to try a 1500W or 2000W continuous. When you get into the higher watt range, pure sine gets expensive. I may just stick with modified sine since I would just use it for emergency purposes.

Back