New email golf owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kubla

Hi everyone, just bought a 2015 E golf sell premium and hauled it back to Cincinnati OH where they are not sold so I could have one.
Should my car have a spare tire?

No spare tire on the e-Golf. It should come with a little bag containing a can of fix-a-flat, but realistically if you get a flat tire, just use Car-Net to call roadside assistance and get a tow. Flat tires seem to be rare on the Golfs, unlike the i3 where those things pop like crazy.

And BTW the "e" in e-Golf is for "electric"...not e-mail. :roll:

If you really feel you need a spare, I've heard a temporary spare "frisbee tire" from another VW or Audi will fit in the under-floor storage space. Check some wrecking yards for these tires and a jack kit too. You should also take out the liner to see if there is a nut welded into the floor to secure the tire.

miimura said:
I've heard a temporary spare "frisbee tire" from another VW or Audi will fit in the under-floor storage space.

Yes that is true. I was able to fit the spare from my Audi A3 (no longer have) into the spare tire well. Another member actually installed one in his eGolf and created a thread about it.

Check some wrecking yards for these tires and a jack kit too.

Keep in mind that you'll need a spare tire with the 5x112 bolt pattern, meaning it will have to come from a Mk V or later car (the eGolf is Mk VII). Older cars use a 5x100 or even a 4x100 bolt pattern.

I just noticed that auto-correct got me again, posted the thread from my samsung tablet

Kubla said:
Hi everyone, just bought a 2015 E golf sell premium and hauled it back to Cincinnati OH where they are not sold so I could have one.
Should my car have a spare tire?

Another alternative to a spare would be run flats -- I opted for these when the OEM tires on the LEAF I was driving needed replacing; the 'science' on these has improved quite a bit from when they first came out (BMW was one of the first to use them, the ride quality was poor, etc.) -- if I keep my e-Golf longer, I plan to do the same, opted for Bridgestone Driveguard series that fit my LEAF (general link on a few other owners that have used them below)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=DriveGuard

Difference in EV range was minor, ride was improved a lot over the OEM Bridgestone Ecopia series they used; to be honest though, the Continental's that are on my '15 e-Golf SEL are quite similar to those that are on my '13 VW Touareg (OEM's provided by VW still at 39K miles) which have held up well for being OEM provided --- all car mfg. have a tendency to provide tires at a price point where they ALL wear out pretty quickly; VW could be an exception --- as an aside, did you know that Tesla allows you to pick the brand when you buy a Model S or X? --- in any case, we also have AAA in case of a blow out; sometimes just changing a flat out on the highway can be quite hazardous so run flats are a great option.

PacBlue said:
Another alternative to a spare would be run flats -- I opted for these when the OEM tires on the LEAF I was driving needed replacing; the 'science' on these has improved quite a bit from when they first came out (BMW was one of the first to use them, the ride quality was poor, etc.) -- if I keep my e-Golf longer, I plan to do the same, opted for Bridgestone Driveguard series that fit my LEAF (general link on a few other owners that have used them below)

Another option for run flats is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 RunFlat. Under $100/tire at Tire Rack in the eGolf's size. Rated LRR as well though I don't know how it compares to the Ecopias.

The downside is that they are not M+S rated so you'll need to change out to snow tires if you live in a snowy climate. Treadwear is only 260 so you'll be replacing these more often as well. There is an all-season version with a 500 treadwear rating, but for some reason TR wants more than double the price.

Back