Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hello guys
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:38 pm 

Deschodt wrote:
But I've found they'll spin *really* easily on take off and offer very average lateral grip.

The only time I've unintentionally spun my tires is in the wet, when trying to take advantage of a gap in traffic while making a left turn. Otherwise I have to want to spin the tires in order to get them to do so (briefly, before traction control kicks in).

One thing that makes electric motors superior to an internal combustion engine is the fact that you have full torque as soon as the motor starts spinning. There's no need to rev it to the optimum RPM to get it to accelerate decently. You really don't need to floor it to get it up to usual city speeds; I only do it when accelerating onto a freeway, and even then that's brief.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:36 pm 

johnnylingo wrote:
First thing to be aware of is there will be a new 2017/2018 model being released in the next few months that will have 50% more battery. Even if you don't need the extra range, there should be great pricing on the 2016s at that point.

Pricing does vary by location, so it would be helpful to share yours. In California, you can expect to lease a 2016 SE for under $180/month with all taxes and fees, not including state rebate.

Thanks for the info johnnylingo! I was actually just reading up on the 2017/2018 models so I'm glad you brought that up. I am contemplating whether I should just wait for the newer model or just stop hesitating and get the 2016? Then again, you made a good point, by the time the newer model is on the market there should be some amazing pricing on the 2016s. I guess I'll continue to shop around and look at the price points, while still doing a little more research on the features the new model brings to the table. thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 am 

RPowell wrote:
I am contemplating whether I should just wait for the newer model or just stop hesitating and get the 2016? Then again, you made a good point, by the time the newer model is on the market there should be some amazing pricing on the 2016s.

Exactly, and it's happening now... It totally depends on your use case: If you absolutely need the extra range, it' s a no-brainer to wait for a 17. If you can do without, it' s a no-brainer to take the "free" 2016 car VW is throwing at you... I talked to my sales guy and he confirmed the 2017 will absolutely NOT be given away like the 2016 inventory.... You will be paying substantially more... I mean they have offers right now for a $69/mo lease, which is BS admittedly if you read the fine print (pre tax, qualifying VW discount, graduating kid, your name needs to start with F and your blood type must be O negative ;-).

Real world at $130-140 a month (with possibly $100+ of gas savings on an EV electrical plan, and $40-50 savings on bridge tolls for me, plus use of HOV lane, $500 PGE rebate), the car essentially costs me insurance only... It's not technically free, but it's as free as an extra new car is gonna get. It's a short lease, take it, and by the time you are through with it the 2018s will be cheap and might have more range again, this game is moving fast ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:58 pm 

Deschodt wrote:
I talked to my sales guy and he confirmed the 2017 will absolutely NOT be given away like the 2016 inventory.... You will be paying substantially more..

Hmmmmmph. 86 to 130 miles range is an improvement, but I doubt most people would pay substantially more for it. The local Nissan dealer here has several 30 kWh Leafs with an MSRP of $40k that have been sitting on the lot for months. It's anecdotal, but I can't imagine who would jump on one with the Bolt available now and Model 3 on the horizon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:26 pm 

Deschodt wrote:
I talked to my sales guy and he confirmed the 2017 will absolutely NOT be given away like the 2016 inventory.... You will be paying substantially more..

VW will do what ever is necessary, price wise, to move what they have in inventory on their lots. Doubt it will be possible, but I'd love to install a 35.8 kwh battery in my 2015 SEL, if it can be retrofit into my existing chassis. But I know VW, they want to sell new cars, not retrofit more kwh batteries into existing cars.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:40 am 

I need to clap for your encourage. Just take it easy, everyone is new when start to be a member on this forum. You can do the things you want and don't break the forum rules, everything will be OK.