Any e-golf owners in Arizona?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joulesthief gets great range out of his car based on his driving style - I drive mine like I want to and get about sticker range.

I have a longer round-trip than you do at about 53 miles/day, which gives me margin to run an errand or two if I need to. I also drive on the freeway >50% of that daily distance, and as you know here, if you're not doing at least 70, you're inconveniencing the rest of the speed freaks. Some mornings I'm merging into traffic when I feel that loss of oomph - the ~85mph speed limiter kicking in :( The car is just as composed as any other VW on the highway, which is to say very solid, and contrary to what Joulesthief likes to say, it does a great job as an 'autobahn cruiser'.

I'd love to have the bigger battery, too, but I found my car for $18200 with only 7500 miles on it and I decided to stop waiting.

I wouldn't worry about the service thing, no matter what the stealerships are saying now. They'll all have to adapt sooner rather than later.

I'm not sure what your schedule is like, but I'd be happy to let you see the car. I work at 8201 E McDowell - let me know.

Spektre said:
I have a longer round-trip than you do at about 53 miles/day, which gives me margin to run an errand or two if I need to. I also drive on the freeway >50% of that daily distance, and as you know here, if you're not doing at least 70, you're inconveniencing the rest of the speed freaks. Some mornings I'm merging into traffic when I feel that loss of oomph - the ~85mph speed limiter kicking in :( The car is just as composed as any other VW on the highway, which is to say very solid, and contrary to what Joulesthief likes to say, it does a great job as an 'autobahn cruiser'.
Ha, you're a bit more if a speed freak than I am. I cruise <=70mph. Good to hear it's tearing you well on the freeway though!

Spektre said:
I'm not sure what your schedule is like, but I'd be happy to let you see the car. I work at 8201 E McDowell - let me know.
[/quote]
I only live a couple miles from there! I'm usually home by 5:45pm M-F (and of course free weekends).

Spektre said:
Joulesthief gets great range out of his car based on his driving style - I drive mine like I want to and get about sticker range.

I'd love to have the bigger battery, too, but I found my car for $18200 with only 7500 miles on it and I decided to stop waiting.

I wouldn't worry about the service thing, no matter what the stealerships are saying now. They'll all have to adapt sooner rather than later.

Ggvblake22, If this interests you, please PM me... 2015 e-Golf SEL, white with tan interior (great in desert environment, cool), 10,300 miles, $17.5k, firm. I do have a Brand New Clipper Creek HDS 40-P plug in EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 plug, works great at RV Parks if need be, for an additional $500. For a fee, it could be delivered to PHX, and you buy my airline ticket back to Burbank, CA, or you fly out, I'll deliver at the airport, and you can drive it home.

Plug share is your friend in planning how to get it back home. Word to the wise, you can discharge that battery 3x faster than you can recharge it with the 7.2 kwh charger on board. It pays to drive slower, and increase range between recharges.

My interest lies in getting these VW battery powered cars in the hands of some people in AZ and seeing how the batteries fare long term. You'd be another perfect beta tester, to confirm VW's Death Valley battery tests in long term real world conditions.

JoulesThief said:
Ggvblake22, If this interests you, please PM me... 2015 e-Golf SEL, white with tan interior (great in desert environment, cool), 10,300 miles, $17.5k, firm. I do have a Brand New Clipper Creek HDS 40-P plug in EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 plug, works great at RV Parks if need be, for an additional $500. For a fee, it could be delivered to PHX, and you buy my airline ticket back to Burbank, CA, or you fly out, I'll deliver at the airport, and you can drive it home.

Plug share is your friend in planning how to get it back home. Word to the wise, you can discharge that battery 3x faster than you can recharge it with the 7.2 kwh charger on board. It pays to drive slower, and increase range between recharges.

My interest lies in getting these VW battery powered cars in the hands of some people in AZ and seeing how the batteries fare long term. You'd be another perfect beta tester, to confirm VW's Death Valley battery tests in long term real world conditions.

I can't help but feel the last part I bolded sounds disingenuous - I would expect JT's interest lies more so in selling a 2 model year old car for what was paid for it, $15,300 + TTL as mentioned in this thread:

nD90tMM.png

It sounds to me like JT now works for VW and is helping their battery research efforts. Or maybe he just wants to help people in AZ. What a charitable gesture.

f1geek said:
It sounds to me like JT now works for VW and is helping their battery research efforts. Or maybe he just wants to help people in AZ. What a charitable gesture.
I won't buy a 2018 e-golf until the 2015 goes. The car has been operational since 10/6/2015. Its a 912xxx serial number, last month built as a 2015 model. It's been in use 17 months. Turned 10400 miles today.

JoulesThief,
I appreciate the offer but I have already decided I would not be happy with an EV that has less than 100 miles of range. There are actually a couple e-Golfs available locally if I did want to go that route.

My interest in the e-Golf is due to the fact I already have a 2012 Golf TDI. It was affected by the diesel emissions scandal and I've chosen the buyback option. I'll be handing over my much loved Golf April 18th. The combination of my enjoyment with the Golf and the numerous benefits of electric vehicles combine to make the e-Golf my top choice. Unfortunately, as excited and ready as I am to buy one, I think being patient for the 2017/2018 models is my best bet; especially if they will indeed have nationwide availability.

Fortunately, my wife will also be needing a new car soon-ish so I think I'll get an ICE now, then hand that over to her when there is a suitable EV available for me (hopefully it's the e-Golf).

gvblake22 said:
JoulesThief,
I appreciate the offer but I have already decided I would not be happy with an EV that has less than 100 miles of range. There are actually a couple e-Golfs available locally if I did want to go that route.

My interest in the e-Golf is due to the fact I already have a 2012 Golf TDI. It was affected by the diesel emissions scandal and I've chosen the buyback option. I'll be handing over my much loved Golf April 18th. The combination of my enjoyment with the Golf and the numerous benefits of electric vehicles combine to make the e-Golf my top choice. Unfortunately, as excited and ready as I am to buy one, I think being patient for the 2017/2018 models is my best bet; especially if they will indeed have nationwide availability.

Fortunately, my wife will also be needing a new car soon-ish so I think I'll get an ICE now, then hand that over to her when there is a suitable EV available for me (hopefully it's the e-Golf).

Welcome to the club.... 2014 passat TDI SE, 2013 Touareg TDI Sport (his) 2012 Touareg TDI Sport (hers). I don't work for VW, never have, never will.

Verkehr said:
JoulesThief said:

I can't help but feel the last part I bolded sounds disingenuous - I would expect JT's interest lies more so in selling a 2 model year old car for what was paid for it, $15,300 + TTL as mentioned in this thread:

nD90tMM.png

Pretty much anyone that could pay for it and had VW owner loyalty and some negotiating skills could have gotten the same deal as me or better. I know of several folks who did as well as me or better. Somehow you think that what I paid for it somehow affects how much it is now worth. Go try that with stocks, bonds, and mutual funds too. Your logic is flawed. I put information out there to provide incentive for those that were willing to work for a great deal on an e-Golf, and what was possible at the time. Key point being, you have to work for it hard, to get those kinds of values and pricing. There's always deals out there, the talented hard working folks find them and seize them. The lazy folks end up paying more. Not my problem.

gvblake22 said:
JoulesThief,

One interesting option, that I suspect my wife will be availing herself of, is to look towards an eTron. Meanwhile, what would you be willing to sell your TDI for? We lost our Sportwagen to the scandal...RIP.

bizzle said:
One interesting option, that I suspect my wife will be availing herself of, is to look towards an eTron.
The Audi e-tron is nice, but it's basically a fancified gen 1 Volt that's out of my price range. :|

gvblake22 said:
bizzle said:
One interesting option, that I suspect my wife will be availing herself of, is to look towards an eTron.
The Audi e-tron is nice, but it's basically a fancified gen 1 Volt that's out of my price range. :|
Having test driven both, I can say without reservation it's an eGolf that can do long-haul trips and not at all like a Volt. I couldn't even fit my lab into the back of the Volt and wouldn't want to ride in the back seat. It's not remotely comparable to a Volt other than having an ICE along with the electric drivetrain.

bizzle said:
gvblake22 said:
JoulesThief,

One interesting option, that I suspect my wife will be availing herself of, is to look towards an eTron. Meanwhile, what would you be willing to sell your TDI for? We lost our Sportwagen to the scandal...RIP.

Why couldn't you keep your Sportwagen?

JoulesThief said:
bizzle said:
gvblake22 said:
JoulesThief,

Why couldn't you keep your Sportwagen?
It was sideswiped and rear-ended.

bizzle said:
gvblake22 said:
bizzle said:
Having test driven both, I can say without reservation it's an eGolf that can do long-haul trips and not at all like a Volt. I couldn't even fit my lab into the back of the Volt and wouldn't want to ride in the back seat. It's not remotely comparable to a Volt other than having an ICE along with the electric drivetrain.
Fair enough. I lumped the things like passenger comfort under the "fancified" umbrella. I was really interested in the gen. 2 Volt until I sat in it. I'm about 6'3" and my head was brushing the top in the front seat and couldn't sit up straight in the back seat. My Golf on the other hand fits me just fine. I'd probably have one in my driveway right now if it weren't for the atrocious interior space.

gvblake22 said:
I'm about 6'3" and my head was brushing the top in the front seat and couldn't sit up straight in the back seat. My Golf on the other hand fits me just fine. I'd probably have one in my driveway right now if it weren't for the atrocious interior space.

Yes...I had read several reviews and couldn't believe nobody mentioned the lack of headroom. I'm 5'11" and it was too low even for me. On the plus side, the seats are higher than the e-Golf, so a short person with bad knees would likely have the opposite opinion.

just bought a 2017 egolf and love it (i live in phoenix). interested to hear if others here have noticed any significant loss of battery capacity as a result of the heat.

thanks!

This is my third summer with the eGolf here in Phoenix/Scottsdale - no problems so far, still loving it every day. I've seen a few others around, but not many.

I'm seeing a slight drop in range, but I think it's to be expected as I'm over 40K miles.

Did you buy yours from Lesueur?

Back