Calif, Bay Area. Charging Stations NOT inside Parking Garage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

In my new 2016 eGolf SEL, I commute Santa Cruz to San Jose regularly.

However I often I need to go from San Jose to SF. Have not done that by EV yet.
Looking for charging stations in SF and enroute that are NOT inside pay parking garages. Using ChargePoint and eVGO.

ChargePoint search map doesn't show a distinction between "Garaged" and street available Chargers.

Am I missing something?

New to this game.

Thanks
Niall

I suggest you use PlugShare.com and read the descriptions or look at the pictures to see the situation at a charging site that you're interested in.

I chose to L2 charge at the North Beach NRG eVgo site in lieu of paying for parking a few months ago. It happened to be a couple blocks from the place we wanted to have brunch. Didn't really need to charge, but it gave us a little extra buffer and it was cheaper than paying for parking or spending time looking for street parking.

En-route you can use the fast & free DC charger at the VW America office in Belmont. They also have a couple of free L2 EVSEs.

The VW ERL station has not been that reliable. Just down the street at Park Place Shopping Center, San Mateo there is a bank of 4 ChargePoint Express 200 50kW fast chargers. They only charge $0.25/kWh for the first hour of charging, so for less than the price of a coffee, you can add 3/4 "tank" of juice to your e-Golf. Since there are 4, you are pretty much guaranteed one will be available.

Since you have an SEL and mention eVGO, I'll assume you're interested in DC fast chargers. There's of course ones at Whole Foods in San Jose, Cupertino, Mountain View, and Redwood City, and Nob Hill foods in Mountain View. I'd also look at the new Marsh Manor station in Menlo Park, right off 101. From there it's 65 miles round trip to SF and back, so would be a nice midway point.

If you're looking to save money and only do L2, I'd probably stop at the free ones in Millbrae to safely get to SF, then do a full charge in the city. On the way back, hit Chargepoint headquarters in Campbell before going over the hill. You really need at least 1/4th battery to make it from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz, and even then it'll be close to zero when going over the summit.

Thanks for the help.
Will check out those options.

FWIW Today I was able to get a round trip Santa Cruz to downtown San Jose and back on home charge.
It meant I had to drive slower and mostly in B mode.

Left SC with 115, summit at 65, downtown with 80 miles range.

Usually I don't bother since I charge at work too. But for purist sake it can be done.

Yeah I do Santa Cruz to San Jose or Santa Clara and back on a single charge, but on very cold days I do cut it close. Lowering speed helps, as does turning off auto climate control.

OK today:

Santa Cruz (home charged) 110range => San Jose 68
charged at work to 108
San Jose to SF (Portero Hill) 42
Pacifica (Linda Mar eVgo) 39 and charged up to 102 in 30mins
arrived in Santa Cruz 38.

No worries.

Thanks
Niall

Back