Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Can't charge at 5A?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:23 am 

Since the tables are purely cosmetic I forced the L2 table and I set the EVSE to 32A. The eGolf charged at 30A at 120V for a short time on a 20A circuit. To me it makes no sense to charge at 120V unless you are at a RV Park or a Truck Stop with only 120V available.. 240V is more than twice as fast as 120V.

I only tried high current at 120V momentary to satisfy my curiosity. for sure 30A on a 20A circuit would blow the breaker real fast not to mention the wires heating up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:36 pm 

Nonyaz wrote:
JoulesThief wrote:
It won't run on less watts, theres too much parasitic draw in the whole recharging system to run 5 amps.

Source?

JoulesThief wrote:
You need about 1400 watts or 12 amps at 120v to get something done with recharging your battery, at a measly 5 miles per hour or less, depending on your driving style.

My commute is 25 miles round trip, I sleep at night so 5 hours+ of charging is fine with me. Plus I have a multitude of free level 2/3 chargers around when needed.

JoulesThief wrote:
Buy and install more panels. Most 270 to 320 watt 30v panels will give you at or just over 1 amp at 245v. 20 panels will give you more than enough to run 15 amps at 240V for recharging a e-Golf SE model in 5 to 7 hours.

So just to be clear, your proposed solution is for me to casually drop 3+ grand on more panels (ignoring permits and labor)? Gee whiz, why didn't I think of that!?

I'm seeing panels down to about 50 to 55c a watt, from time to time. Being a general contractor, installation is no big deal or expense, to me. Running those panels, you should be getting 240V + not 120V at around an amp a panel. 5 amps or 6 amps at 120v for your panels is an anomaly. You should be striving to run on 240V and both legs, not one leg and a neutral.

A basic EVSE new starts around $400, and goes up from there. It's the infrastructure cost of recharging for less or for free from solar electricity. You, and only you have to weigh the break even point. If $3000 breaks your piggy bank, buy your electricity instead from the utilities company at off peak hours, for the best rates when recharging.

IMHO 6 amps at 120v is just plain under engineered and silly. You are trying to make silk purses out of sow's ears.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 pm 

JoulesThief wrote:
I'm seeing panels down to about 50 to 55c a watt, from time to time.

Me too (and cheaper if you look hard enough), that's what I used in my calculation: 320x20x.50 = $3200 aka more than I have on hand at the moment.

JoulesThief wrote:
Being a general contractor, installation is no big deal or expense, to me.

Good for you, how does this help me? Are you volunteering to do the work for me for free? What difference does it make to me what resources you have at your disposal?

JoulesThief wrote:
Running those panels, you should be getting 240V + not 120V at around an amp a panel. 5 amps or 6 amps at 120v for your panels is an anomaly. You should be striving to run on 240V and both legs, not one leg and a neutral.

I've largely been trying to ignore your obsession with what voltage and amps my panels run at, I assure you there's no problem, some would say yuge amps, nobody produces more amps than my panels. The point that seems to be whizzing over your head is that my entire house is running off this when it's switched on, I would like to run other things when my car charges is the point. And as a side note, I do have have a 240V inverter, just no 240V line running to my garage, but as you mentioned you're a great contractor so by your logic my problem doesn't exist.

JoulesThief wrote:
If $3000 breaks your piggy bank, buy your electricity instead from the utilities company at off peak hours, for the best rates when recharging.

My utility doesn't distinguish between peak and off peak hours, I'll forgive you for assuming I live in California, but I don't. My main short term objective with my solar system is to offset enough of my power consumption so that I don't go over 500kWh a month, because it's billed at a higher rate after that.

JoulesThief wrote:
IMHO 6 amps at 120v is just plain under engineered and silly.

Again, you missed the big picture here, see above.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:21 pm 

The tool I have used to charge is only bestek 300w power inverter. It was used to charge camera and laptop in car when camping outside. This tool can transfer DC 12v to AC 110v. But sorry to say it can only meet in 4.8A, not 5A. Maybe you can know more about different watt power inverter on here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 am 

Rorence wrote:
The tool I have used to charge is only bestek 300w power inverter. It was used to charge camera and laptop in car when camping outside. This tool can transfer DC 12v to AC 110v. But sorry to say it can only meet in 4.8A, not 5A. Maybe you can know more about different watt power inverter on here.

OP isn't talking about power inverters, he's talking about main charging port at 5A

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:23 am 

forbin404 wrote:
Rorence wrote:

OP isn't talking about power inverters, he's talking about main charging port at 5A
That guy is a spammer. He put up several garbage posts so that he could post links to his site. A decent admin would just purge these posts and delete the account.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:21 pm 

oh.

Does this site have an active mod?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:59 pm 

Nonyaz wrote:
JoulesThief wrote:
I'm seeing panels down to about 50 to 55c a watt, from time to time.

Me too (and cheaper if you look hard enough), that's what I used in my calculation: 320x20x.50 = $3200 aka more than I have on hand at the moment.

JoulesThief wrote:
Being a general contractor, installation is no big deal or expense, to me.

Good for you, how does this help me? Are you volunteering to do the work for me for free? What difference does it make to me what resources you have at your disposal?

JoulesThief wrote:
Running those panels, you should be getting 240V + not 120V at around an amp a panel. 5 amps or 6 amps at 120v for your panels is an anomaly. You should be striving to run on 240V and both legs, not one leg and a neutral.

I've largely been trying to ignore your obsession with what voltage and amps my panels run at, I assure you there's no problem, some would say yuge amps, nobody produces more amps than my panels. The point that seems to be whizzing over your head is that my entire house is running off this when it's switched on, I would like to run other things when my car charges is the point. And as a side note, I do have have a 240V inverter, just no 240V line running to my garage, but as you mentioned you're a great contractor so by your logic my problem doesn't exist.

JoulesThief wrote:
If $3000 breaks your piggy bank, buy your electricity instead from the utilities company at off peak hours, for the best rates when recharging.

My utility doesn't distinguish between peak and off peak hours, I'll forgive you for assuming I live in California, but I don't. My main short term objective with my solar system is to offset enough of my power consumption so that I don't go over 500kWh a month, because it's billed at a higher rate after that.

JoulesThief wrote:
IMHO 6 amps at 120v is just plain under engineered and silly.

Again, you missed the big picture here, see above.

This is an e-Golf forum, not a "how to run my whole house on solar panels and keep my power consumption under 500kWh a month" forum. Is that picture big enough for you? Granted, a few here do use solar panels to make electricity, but that's not the pure function of this forum. You've problems, no one has volunteered a solution to your problem here. I'd take that as a sign. Champagne taste with a beer budget.