Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2015 SEL total loss...get another eGolf or Bolt?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:36 pm 

JoulesThief wrote:
GlennD wrote:
You really can not plan your accident timing. I totaled my Mercedes B in property tax season. I could have taken money from my reserve but a new car is hardly an emergency. Besides I find I really like my SEL. I am happy with its short range since I am only nearing 3K miles in six months. When you are retired you no longer have commute mileage. That alone dropped out 40 miles per day.

How would you compare your E benz 250 to your SEL e-Golf, on quality of drive, quality of components, features you like versus miss, etc?

I just don't see VW trying to get anyone in to try to test drive the e-Golf. At least not so much here in So California. Around Silicon Valley is probably a whole different ballgame, there's a ton of techies there that want the latest and greatest electric car technology.

I like both cars but what I really liked was the Mercedes service experience. I got an error message and I took it to the Anaheim dealer since Long Beach is no longer convenient for me They treated me really well and gave me a much too large for my taste SUV.

The VW looks a whole lot better and it is the right size for me. That said I sometimes miss the powerful Tesla drive train. The car had bells on top of bells and whistles. I just wish it had blind spot warning. That was a must have for me and that is why I have drive assist.

The Mercedes had gap insurance that covered the gap between 27K and 32K but that did nothing for the 6K I put down. They say it is best to not put any money down but that makes the monthly payments very high. I essentially put down no money on the VW. I put 1K down but most of that was for fees. At best only a few hundred went to the car.

Back to a B250E 2017 cirrus white.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 am 

forbin404 wrote:
Edit Arrgh! OP got cheated out of the $7500
His lease looks about like my 2011 Volt lease. The residual is unrealistically high by approximately the value of the tax credit.

To the best of my recollection, my 3yr lease Volt residual was $25500 (63%?) but its actual value when I turned it in was $17k-ish. It looked like they took a real beating until you factored in the credit. Then they only took a little beating. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:27 am 

I never thought about it until now, but if they put the tax credit in the residual instead of giving it to you as a Cap Reduction, you don't have to pay sales tax on it. Good for the lessee, but I don't see how that's in their interest. It also guarantees that nobody is going to buy out the lease unless the buyout price is negotiated down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:01 pm 

miimura wrote:
It also guarantees that nobody is going to buy out the lease unless the buyout price is negotiated down.
I was surprised I never received a cheaper buy-out offer but my car was an early one. Maybe they wait until they have a history of auction values. I think that later lessees did receive better offers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:20 pm 

I'm wondering that they have to show the $7500 somewhere. Otherwise they are keeping it for themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:08 pm 

They can keep it for themselves. There's nothing requiring them to pass the incentive through to consumers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:14 am 

bizzle wrote:
They can keep it for themselves. There's nothing requiring them to pass the incentive through to consumers.

Yup. Eventually, we'll probably see it included. I say wait if you can the deals will be coming.

Two week update with the Bolt: So far so good. Some little things are annoying: the sunshade visors don't slide out, no sunglass holder, no homelink, no little tray left of the steering wheel, shifter operation to go to R is odd, shifter and cup holder need to be swapped, tires are a little squeally, phone app is just passable, some fit and finish is just ehh. Relatively minor things.

On the plus side: range is great! Doing OC to LA trips without worry and over 150 miles to spare. Can be fast, easy to maneuver through traffic, big infotainment screen with ApplePlay is pretty good. Charging time (TOU) setups are a breeze and work without a hitch.

Some people may be turned off by the Chevy name but I think this car is a game changer (i know, overused word). Breaking the 100-120 mile barrier with all electric is huge. Hopefully, the car (and batteries) stay reliable through the next 3 years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:51 am 

What are you seeing for range on a charge on the freeways of So CA? Say from San Diego to Los Angeles, and how much recharging time? Does it take 240v at 30 amps or is it 40 amp/ 10kWh capable?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:27 pm 

JoulesThief wrote:
What are you seeing for range on a charge on the freeways of So CA? Say from San Diego to Los Angeles, and how much recharging time? Does it take 240v at 30 amps or is it 40 amp/ 10kWh capable?

I haven't driven more than 90 miles on a single charge so just estimating but the conditions have been pretty much perfect for EV driving (cool temps, not much HVAC use, 35-65MPH on fwys due to traffic).

Yesterday's OC to LA trip yielded some ridiculous numbers so this morning it showed "Estimated total range 320 miles". My wife just drove it 20 miles, mostly freeway and the app now shows 271 miles remaining.

It has a 7.2kW charger and DCFC. 8.3hours from empty @ 32amps. http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-ev-equipped-with-80-kw-dc-fast-charging-owners-manual-now-online/
I'm using my lowly ClipperCreek LCS-20 from my Ford Energi and it's been fine.

I plan to take it from Fullerton to San Diego on Memorial Weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:59 am 

Looking forward to the results of the Fullerton to SD trip and back. Think you can do a round trip on one charge?