Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Car Net subscription mandatory for Mobile App usage?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:35 am 

miimura wrote:
REM wrote:
After multiple calls to car-net and what appeared to be a glimmer of hope (I had functional EV features), I received a call from a car-net supervisor telling me that I need the paid subscription to get the complimentary EV features. I have the brochure right in front of me. Total BS. I think I'll file a BBB complaint.
Are you the original owner/lessee? If so, call VW customer service. It is their responsibility to deliver the features they specified for their vehicle. They must enforce their promises with Verizon Telematics, the operator of the CarNet service.

If you are not the original owner/lessee VW may not have the same responsibility to you. However, if you live in California or another area that has Time of Use metering, I would push VW to provide the EV telematics service at no charge because it is the only way to set the charging schedule in a 2015 US e-Golf.

I'm the original lessee. Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:27 pm 

I called VW customer care, received confirmation that the EV features should be active for 3 years, and promptly received a call from Car-Net executive service. My EV features will be active for the remainder of my 3-year complimentary service and they gave me 3 months free full service for my troubles, only this time they do not have my credit card.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:27 pm 

REM wrote:
I called VW customer care, received confirmation that the EV features should be active for 3 years, and promptly received a call from Car-Net executive service. My EV features will be active for the remainder of my 3-year complimentary service and they gave me 3 months free full service for my troubles, only this time they do not have my credit card.
I call that a win.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:33 pm 

Beware of their car-net service, when I bought the VW eGolf in 2015 they said it came with 3 years for car-net service and would cost something after that. about 2 years in they call me and say I will lose access if I don't start paying monthly.

I very specifically asked about the 3 years and can I use at least the most basic features after it expires?

The sales rep kept lying to me, said it would stop working if I dont sign up now, and I gave in, month to month $17/month because I did not trust the situation and figured I go into a dealership to clear this up later and rather not prepay for a year to get the $15/month cost. Both are too expensive IMHO anyways.

Finally went to the dealership where I bought the car and complained.

Their first reaction was: We are not carnet, thats a separate service, call them yourself.

After a bit of insisting they were nice enough to call them for me, give them the vin, and with some back and forth get them to stop charging me.

But no offer of a refund for the months they already scammed me out of money for. Upon insisting they say it may take a few days, I have to call back.

Never heard from them again.

This business behavior is fraudulent like comcast, scam people out of their money and only fix it partially when caught. I don't want to have anything to do with them any more.

I do really like our 2015 VW e-Golf, but to pay $17/month just for being able to adjust climate control and see if it is locked etc, the basic features, is just completely unrealistic.

I will sell the car and get a Tesla Model 3 as soon as its my turn in the reservation list, because the phone app is 100% included in the purchase price, has more miles of range for the same price and no stupid on/off pushbutton statemachine to babysit.

Yes I am really pissed off about this still.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:48 am 

Skryll wrote:
Beware of their car-net service, when I bought the VW eGolf in 2015 they said it came with 3 years for car-net service and would cost something after that. about 2 years in they call me and say I will lose access if I don't start paying monthly.

I very specifically asked about the 3 years and can I use at least the most basic features after it expires?

The sales rep kept lying to me, said it would stop working if I dont sign up now, and I gave in, month to month $17/month because I did not trust the situation and figured I go into a dealership to clear this up later and rather not prepay for a year to get the $15/month cost. Both are too expensive IMHO anyways.

Their first reaction was: We are not carnet, thats a separate service, call them yourself.

After a bit of insisting they were nice enough to call them for me, give them the vin, and with some back and forth get them to stop charging me.

But no offer of a refund for the months they already scammed me out of money for. Upon insisting they say it may take a few days, I have to call back.

This business behavior is fraudulent like comcast, scam people out of their money and only fix it partially when caught. I don't want to have anything to do with them any more.

I do really like our 2015 VW e-Golf, but to pay $17/month just for being able to adjust climate control and see if it is locked etc, the basic features, is just completely unrealistic.

I will sell the car and get a Tesla Model 3 as soon as its my turn in the reservation list, because the phone app is 100% included in the purchase price, has more miles of range for the same price and no stupid on/off pushbutton statemachine to babysit.

Agree that the service outfit that maintains this is pretty awful; it took me a number of calls, as well as callbacks, etc. to finally get only the 'free' EV functions that actually do work fine with the e-Golf working properly; mine is good through Oct 2018 and also (at least at this stage) plan to upgrade to a Tesla Model 3. I do really enjoy my e-Golf and the smart phone app functions aren't bad at all once you have them setup, you just should NOT have to jump through all these hoops to get what now has become standard in the newest cars (can control % charge, etc. in the car w/o an app) -- my best guess is that their 'sales' approach is more designed for non-EV VW's (people who like GM On-star type services) but that's no excuse.

Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2017) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:13 am 

PacBlue wrote:
Skryll wrote:

Agree that the service outfit that maintains this is pretty awful; it took me a number of calls, as well as callbacks, etc. to finally get only the 'free' EV functions that actually do work fine with the e-Golf working properly; mine is good through Oct 2018 and also (at least at this stage) plan to upgrade to a Tesla Model 3. I do really enjoy my e-Golf and the smart phone app functions aren't bad at all once you have them setup, you just should NOT have to jump through all these hoops to get what now has become standard in the newest cars (can control % charge, etc. in the car w/o an app) -- my best guess is that their 'sales' approach is more designed for non-EV VW's (people who like GM On-star type services) but that's no excuse.

That's what you get when VW USA headquarters are in MI, with all the other American Car makers, their mentality from being previously indoctrinated there and then working for VW starts seeping in. Maybe VW should move their headquarters closer to Apple and Tesla in Silicon Valley, CA, for a better user experience, since more and more, these cars are controlled by software, firmware, and computer programmers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:14 am 

I have been experiencing the same as most of you (after 6 months of free Carnet, the features have stopped). I went & looked at my VW paperwork and Carnet booklet, all of which say the same "3 year complementary service". I usually check my charging status, lock & unlock my egolf from my desktop. Even the website (not the app) gave me the warning that I needed an active subscription in order to use the basic features! I've been a Verizon (cell) customer for more than 10 years, but I'm not going to give them my business for Carnet or even jump through the hoops that most of you guys did just for the basic services to be rendered. They can suck a big, fat d*ck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:37 pm 

Skryll wrote:

And if previous Tesla models are any indication, your Model 3 will make any VW seem as reliable as a Honda or Toyota. And your servicing costs will be as high if not higher than that of an ICEV.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:40 pm 

JoulesThief wrote:
That's what you get when VW USA headquarters are in MI, with all the other American Car makers, their mentality from being previously indoctrinated there and then working for VW starts seeping in. Maybe VW should move their headquarters closer to Apple and Tesla in Silicon Valley, CA, for a better user experience, since more and more, these cars are controlled by software, firmware, and computer programmers.

Actually, VW's Electronics Research Laboratory is located in Silicon Valley:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Electr ... Laboratory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:17 am 

JoulesThief wrote:

VW USA headquarters has been in Herndon, VA (Western suburb of DC - right near Dulles Airport) since 2008. I worked a block away at the time they opened and used to walk around the building at lunchtime. Got to see some pretty awesome stuff move through there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next