Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does the eGolf's Charger Communicate with the EVSE?
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:13 am 

I'm curious to know if the eGolf's charger can communicate with the EVSE. Specifically, I'd like to know what happens once the eGolf is fully charged but the EVSE is not unplugged from the vehicle. Can the eGolf communicate with the EVSE and tell it to "stop charging". My question stems from my desire to prolog battery health and life. Let's say I plug my eGolf in for a charge at 11PM. It takes 4 hours to fully charge the battery. What happens from 3Am to the time I get up at 6 and unplug? Is the battery continually getting "over charged"?

FYI - I am getting my EVSE installed and haven't yet received my eGolf. I'm all theory right now.

Post subject: Re: Does the eGolf's Charger Communicate with the EVSE?
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:17 am 

uncleGarage wrote:
I'm curious to know if the eGolf's charger can communicate with the EVSE. Specifically, I'd like to know what happens once the eGolf is fully charged but the EVSE is not unplugged from the vehicle. Can the eGolf communicate with the EVSE and tell it to "stop charging". My question stems from my desire to prolog battery health and life. Let's say I plug my eGolf in for a charge at 11PM. It takes 4 hours to fully charge the battery. What happens from 3Am to the time I get up at 6 and unplug? Is the battery continually getting "over charged"?

FYI - I am getting my EVSE installed and haven't yet received my eGolf. I'm all theory right now.

Do a search in the technical section under "pilot signal"

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:18 am 

See my reply in the other thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:25 am 

Thanks guys...I also found this article from Santa Monica VW. It covers the eGolf's Delayed Charging features

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:44 am 

Know Your VW also has some useful videos.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:24 am 

When plugged into the Car the EVSE tell the Car two things
1. Maximum amount of Amps the EVSE can provide
2. If the EVSE is ready to charge.

Remember the charger and associated smarts are in the Car. It is the Car that determines the actual charging rate (up to the EVSE max) and when to stop as fully charged.

It is the EVSE ready signal that has got the E-Golf into so much trouble.
When the EVSE indicates it is not ready, the Car (any car) should wait until it is ready.
This is how a "Smart" EVSE implements any EVSE TOU (Time Of Use) programming.
The E-Golf fails to wait and goes to sleep, never to see the EVSE Ready when it occurs.
The EVSE Manu's changed design to force the E-Golf to wake when the EVSE goes to ready.

Barry

2015 500e

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:10 am 

BarryMW wrote:

Remember the charger and associated smarts are in the Car. It is the Car that determines the actual charging rate (up to the EVSE max) and when to stop as fully charged.

When the EVSE indicates it is not ready, the Car (any car) should wait until it is ready.
The E-Golf fails to wait and goes to sleep, never to see the EVSE Ready when it occurs.
The EVSE Manu's changed design to force the E-Golf to wake when the EVSE goes to ready.

Barry

My 2016 eGolf charges properly with my OpenEVSE. I have it set to charge to 80% and finish at 100% by 7:30AM. It works fine. I usually unplug it after 80% but if I forget it charges to 100% which is a bummer since I have no regen until some of the battery is used. At 80% I nave regen (VW calls it recuperation) available and I do not need the 100% range.

The VW is J1772 compliment and The EVSE is really dumb. All the smarts are in the car. All the EVSE is is a safety device and a way to indicate the current available. I REALLY HATE THE PLUG LOCK!

Back to a B250E 2017 cirrus white.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 am 

GlennD wrote:
BarryMW wrote:

Barry

My 2016 eGolf charges properly with my OpenEVSE. I have it set to charge to 80% and finish at 100% by 7:30AM. It works fine. I usually unplug it after 80% but if I forget it charges to 100% which is a bummer since I have no regen until some of the battery is used. At 80% I nave regen (VW calls it recuperation) available and I do not need the 100% range.

The VW is J1772 compliment and The EVSE is really dumb. All the smarts are in the car. All the EVSE is is a safety device and a way to indicate the current available. I REALLY HATE THE PLUG LOCK!

The 3.6 kwh 2016 SE base model has no plug lock, for future reference. It also charges a lot slower on 240V. 7 or 8 hours for a full recharge. I'll take the inconvenience of a locker for DCFC and the 7.2Kwh charge controller on board instead. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.