Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: LA to SF
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:54 pm 

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that VW undermines their legal case for voiding the warranty if they advertise that behavior as a feature of the car. VW currently owes $25 billion in fines for stupid behavior so I'd say their lawyers are pretty stupid, too. VW didn't end up saving any money by not developing a proper pollution control system for their polluting TDIs!

Air cooled or not, I have read anecdotes about e-Golf programming that limits charge rates based on environmental conditions, so it's possible that there are protections built into the car. I would like to know what happens to battery life under these conditions so if someone wants to perform the test, we can all benefit from the empirical data.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:54 pm 

My personal opinion is that this trip is possible but not recommended in a 2015 or 2016 e-Golf. The main reason is that the battery is not big enough to drive a reasonable distance before stopping. It's basically 1 hour driving and 30 minutes charging. The 2017 with 35kWh battery pack would be much more tolerable at about 1.5 hours driving and probably 45 minutes charging. Going northbound, you would probably only need a 10-15 minute top-up before heading over the Grapevine, then only 3 more full charging stops, skipping two of the 5 charging stops on 99 and just getting a little more juice for the last leg from Livermore to SF.

I would only do this trip in one of my EVs if I had a business trip or vacation that would last more than a week or two. The convenience of driving my own EV instead of renting an ICE would outweigh the hassle of doing this long distance charging. However, in my case, I would take the RAV4 EV since it has a 40+kWh battery and the CHAdeMO fast charge mod. Of course, in a Tesla this trip is cake using the Supercharger network.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:14 pm 

If all the chips fall in the right places, 15 hours may be possible. I drove my 2016 w/ DCFC from SF to SD over couple of days with extended stops. Well, technically 3 days since I got home at about 4 am.

1. If you want to use the DCFC networks, the only option is the 101, which is a longer route than the I-5.
2. To make the most of the energy input, drive between 60 and 65 mph instead of 85mph, and draft big rigs whenever possible. Less energy used = less time spent charging and possibly fewer stops.
3. All the DCFC stations are available and operational when you arrive. This is probably the biggest IF in the whole trip. There were a pretty good number of Chargepoint DCFC station along the way that were not working. And usually, there is just one station at these stops. I was fortunate in couple of times that there were EVGo DCFC stations within the guestimated range remaining.
4. The DCFC station does not deliver power at 6.6 kWh. This obviously adds to the charging times, and about half of the Chargepoint DCFC stations on the 101 deliver less power.
5. You're not tired.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:45 pm 

I have done the 101 trip in my 2016 e-golf. And the stations along the way didn't output as much juice like others have said. I find the ChargePoint stations to be not as good as the EVGo ones. If I remember right, it took like 16-17 hours. Which is a bit longer than I would like. I am looking at trying the 99 next.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:46 pm 

kpritchard wrote:
I have done the 101 trip in my 2016 e-golf. And the stations along the way didn't output as much juice like others have said. I find the ChargePoint stations to be not as good as the EVGo ones. If I remember right, it took like 16-17 hours. Which is a bit longer than I would like. I am looking at trying the 99 next.

Those ones that don't put out as much juice as the EVGo ones also don't damage the life and capacity of your eGolf battery, because they have a 1C charging rate, something the battery needs to not be exceeded, so the battery doesn't generate too much heat , lose capacity, or shorten the life of the very expensive battery. Read your owners manual on Fast Charging... VW recommends you recharge as much as possible at home, not at fast chargers. VW and BMW paid to put those 50 minute chargers in, to protect your batteries.

Again read your owners manual, they do not recommend back to back fast charging. They recommend Level 2 recharges every other charge to balance charge all the batteries in the battery pack, something a DC quick charger circumvents, in the name of saving some time, at the expense of the battery pack and it's life and capacity.

Point being, this car was never designed to be used for long distance drives. It was designed to be an in city work commuter vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:20 pm 

Nice job on making the trip! You have proven that VW designed the e-Golf for long distance trips, albeit with a bit more stopping time than other cars. It's too bad BMW and VW went the cheap route with the 24 kW stations (which have been pretty unreliable, too), but in VW's new penance EV charging project, they will not be funding any more low power DCFC stations. I quick charge my car pretty routinely and have seen very minimal loss in battery capacity (due to errors in the capacity calculation, I'm not even sure there is any degradation) in over 17,000 miles of driving.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:23 pm 

f1geek wrote:
Nice job on making the trip! You have proven that VW designed the e-Golf for long distance trips, albeit with a bit more stopping time than other cars. It's too bad BMW and VW went the cheap route with the 24 kW stations (which have been pretty unreliable, too), but in VW's new penance EV charging project, they will not be funding any more low power DCFC stations. I quick charge my car pretty routinely and have seen very minimal loss in battery capacity (due to errors in the capacity calculation, I'm not even sure there is any degradation) in over 17,000 miles of driving.

He's proven that it's possible, not that VW designed it for long distance trips. It might be feasible, but my time is worth too much money to be sitting at chargers half my time to make a 400 mile trip over 15 hours. If Tesla thought it was a good idea, they installed a facility to change out your depleted charge battery with a fully charged battery at Harris Ranch on I-5 in 15 minute tims. That program was soon scrapped.

I'll pay the price of diesel fuel and take a TDI every time, every day I need to make more than 100 miles in a day of driving. Driving from Los Angeles to San Ysidro and back in a day once, as an experiment, convinced me it's a huge waste of time waiting to recharge, when you'd rather be down the road. Now, I recharge almost exclusively in my garage, no need to be bothered with public chargers that get grossly abused.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:23 am 

JoulesThief wrote:
kpritchard wrote:

Those ones that don't put out as much juice as the EVGo ones also don't damage the life and capacity of your eGolf battery, because they have a 1C charging rate, something the battery needs to not be exceeded, so the battery doesn't generate too much heat , lose capacity, or shorten the life of the very expensive battery. Read your owners manual on Fast Charging... VW recommends you recharge as much as possible at home, not at fast chargers. VW and BMW paid to put those 50 minute chargers in, to protect your batteries.

Again read your owners manual, they do not recommend back to back fast charging. They recommend Level 2 recharges every other charge to balance charge all the batteries in the battery pack, something a DC quick charger circumvents, in the name of saving some time, at the expense of the battery pack and it's life and capacity.

Point being, this car was never designed to be used for long distance drives. It was designed to be an in city work commuter vehicle.

I totally get that. I have read about it prior to you saying anything about it a few times. But I still want to try. For science! This is something I have done in other electric cars as well. I once went on a trip from Van Nuys in LA to Milford in the state of Utah in a Rav4EV. Just to see what the car can do. Also, I mostly do charge on my home charger.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 am 

kpritchard wrote:
JoulesThief wrote:
kpritchard wrote:

I totally get that. I have read about it prior to you saying anything about it a few times. But I still want to try. For science! This is something I have done in other electric cars as well. I once went on a trip from Van Nuys in LA to Milford in the state of Utah in a Rav4EV. Just to see what the car can do. Also, I mostly do charge on my home charger.

I understand in the name of science. Just note that VW sells a majority of e-Golfs in SE configuration with no quick charger and the 3.6kwh charger on board. So those batteries, hopefully should last a long time from not being quickly recharged. Quick discharging of them, however, is not good either, both processes generate heat within the battery.

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. Ego and bragging rights sometimes get in the way of science.